1 2 3 4 5
drdisque
drdisque HalfDork
8/31/17 5:04 p.m.

Will you be painting it at some point? One skill I do have is sanding and paint prep. I can work on prepping the front of the car while the guys with the real skills work on the back and I can bring my Orbital sander and a variety of fine-grits to work with.

Otherwise I'm just gonna show up with a pair of gloves.

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
8/31/17 8:46 p.m.

In reply to drdisque:

Dude, we will need your real skills! Yes, we will be painting it, and yes the hood (plus probably everything else) will need help.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
8/31/17 9:05 p.m.

Jelly of your event. I need to host one of these events in central PA.

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
9/1/17 10:21 a.m.
maschinenbau wrote: If you already have a welder, I don't mind bringing my tang and regulator if it means I don't have to deal with flux-core! Though if someone else nearby brings a tank that might be better.

I do already have a welder, but I recently remembered it is at my buddies house in Detroit, and I am unfortunately not able to swing out and grab it before this event (and more unfortunately, he can't make the event either). Bad planning, but if someone can bring a welder that would be great (if not, maybe its time for an upgrade anyway)

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
9/1/17 10:25 a.m.
Andy Neuman wrote: Jelly of your event. I need to host one of these events in central PA.

Do it!

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
9/5/17 12:41 p.m.

Ok, challenge car paint questions:

What is the preferred "challenge+" method for painting a car? By "challenge+" I mean I would like this to be cheap, but I am ok going one step above rock bottom cheap if it makes it noticeably nicer, and means the paint job would last through a few trips through an automatic car wash.

I would really not like to get into spraying the paint if it can be avoided, I don't want to deal with that much mess, VOCs, equipment that I don't have, etc. You can try to convince me otherwise though.

What method should be used to apply the paint? What prep? What primer/paint/topcoats etc?

Should I get some vinyl instead?

Need some insight quickly as I would like to have materials ready for this weekend, and I'm already cutting it close. Thanks!

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
9/5/17 1:54 p.m.

If we get to it this year we'll spray Rustoleum using the Dusterdb13 method. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
9/5/17 4:44 p.m.

Look for the drivabeater 3.0 thread for sprayed rustoleum (quart rustoleum, quart mineral spirits, splash of valspar enamel hardener, sprayed outside with a harbor freight gun)

Also, look into the rustoleum roller paint job.  

Id rather spray.

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
9/6/17 12:52 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Look for the drivabeater 3.0 thread for sprayed rustoleum (quart rustoleum, quart mineral spirits, splash of valspar enamel hardener, sprayed outside with a harbor freight gun)

Also, look into the rustoleum roller paint job.  

Id rather spray.

How have I never heard of the $50 - rustoleum roller paint job before? Holy COW!

thanks for the tips!

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
9/6/17 12:55 p.m.

I went to Harbor Freight last night and went a little crazy, but at least everyone will be very safe. Plenty of eye, ear, face, and hand protection.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/6/17 12:59 p.m.

Don't put too much torque on those screw drivers they bend easily. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
9/6/17 1:16 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

I have to say that since i learned to spray properly there is no going back. Join the dark side!

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
9/6/17 1:23 p.m.
Andy Neuman said:

Don't put too much torque on those screw drivers they bend easily. 

Yeah, if they aren't great (my set of craftsman from 15 years ago are all quickly becoming useless) they will become my "inside screwdrivers" that I will keep in my basement for easy access for the silly indoor 2 minute fixes that I always seem to be doing.

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
9/6/17 1:28 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

In reply to Robbie :

I have to say that since i learned to spray properly there is no going back. Join the dark side!

I'm afraid of the equipment buy-in for something I will rarely do. I have an air compressor, but it is basically good enough for airing up tires and little else. I'd rather not buy and store and maintain a big one because I use electric tools rather than air tools in general.

Should I reconsider?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
9/6/17 1:32 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

I have a 20 gallon belt driven compressor that cant keep up with a cutoff wheel. But, the harbor freight gun doesnt require a lot of air. My compressor essentially runs constantly while shooting. Also, i have the 10 dollar gun.

So, 20 gallon, 30 year old craigslist compressor. 100ft of the cheapest air line at harbor freight.  10 dollar gun. 2 dollar filter. And a can of lacquer thinner for cleaning.

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
9/6/17 1:46 p.m.

I'll bring my 120v welder and a tank. Takes a heavy extension cord or it will pop breakers.  No idea how much gas I have left. Maybe I'll fill up the little bottle... also have a little compressor and a paint gun. I think it can keep up if careful. I have a fender to paint. I'll test it this week. Probably have enough paint laying around to do a car too (BMW alpine white urethane single stage - same color as my avatar). Let me know what to bring 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/6/17 2:20 p.m.

Ok, I'm potentially able to go. Robbie, I sent you an email

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
9/6/17 2:49 p.m.
oldtin said:

I'll bring my 120v welder and a tank. Takes a heavy extension cord or it will pop breakers.  No idea how much gas I have left. Maybe I'll fill up the little bottle... also have a little compressor and a paint gun. I think it can keep up if careful. I have a fender to paint. I'll test it this week. Probably have enough paint laying around to do a car too (BMW alpine white urethane single stage - same color as my avatar). Let me know what to bring 

Yes (on welder), yes (on compressor and gun), and YES! If you fill the bottle let me know how much it is and I'll 'buy you a bottle'. Also, let me know how much you are asking for the leftover paint. White would be perfect for what I am thinking.

I have a couple really heavy extension cords so we should be good there.

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
9/6/17 2:51 p.m.
mtn said:

Ok, I'm potentially able to go. Robbie, I sent you an email

AWESOME!

I'll get back to your email tonight. I also will post up more details in this thread (or PM them out) so everyone knows where to go and how to get a hold of me.

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
9/8/17 8:47 a.m.

Coming down to the wire! I'm so excited to see how this thing looks as a truck. I'll put contact info here as well as update the first post on the thread. Weather looks like it will be perfect, 70 and sunny!

I'll be starting at about 8 am and going till dusk, open house style, come when you want, leave when you want.

2510 Wallace Dr, Flossmoor, 60422 - 3oh3-threethree2-8568

If you text me I will text back my address if that makes it easier for GPSing

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/8/17 9:48 a.m.

10 hours one way. I wish I had more time. Shouldn't take more than 2 man hours to have the top off so it is looking like a truck. Don't ask me how I know. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau HalfDork
9/8/17 10:51 a.m.

I will be there! This will be awesome!

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/8/17 11:13 a.m.

Sounds fun, everyone be safe. I will 'enjoy' having to hang out with my wife's friends...

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
9/8/17 11:17 a.m.

Wish I was closer,  Have fun everyone.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy SuperDork
9/8/17 12:27 p.m.

Working out details, have an event Saturday evening I need to be here in Indy for .....

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IfwonHWFIE7rv5ADJJ824moLC4zUxQ6RaDk6pcQfJFuSJ8hB6fEgAE0S4AT5eItg