Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
8/18/17 10:01 p.m.

Live video feed!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/6nxcD4oUeHA

https://www.youtube.com/embed/g7rDChGXWNk

https://www.youtube.com/embed/mTi-3bB-lBM

https://www.youtube.com/embed/D20BzWTcqP4

Coming down to the wire! I'm so excited to see how this thing looks as a truck. I'll put contact info here as well as update the first post on the thread. Weather looks like it will be perfect, 70 and sunny!

I'll be starting at about 8 am and going till dusk, open house style, come when you want, leave when you want.

2510 Wallace Dr, Flossmoor, 60422 - 3oh3-threethree2-8568

If you text me I will text back my address if that makes it easier for GPSing

Come one, come all! I'm throwing down a build party for a challenge car, and everyone is invited. My idea is that a bunch of the GRM (or other likeminded) folks in or near Chicago who want to come be part of a challenge build are invited to come out to my place for a day and basically build a challenge car. It won't be the same thing as the famed parking lot builds, but maybe this could be a similar experience for Chicago folks who cannot make the challenge in person. Here is the car - 1999 Saab 9-3: The plan is to make it into a pickup truck and compete in the pickup class. I'm thinking of emulating this kind of look for the paint scheme, maybe with red wheels and whitewall tires: Saturday September 9th will be the major build day with the 10th being on reserve. I will start early in the morning and go until dark. I'll supply tunes, doughnuts, coffee, water, hot-dogs/hamburgers, cold beers, and hot grill space. Come when you want, leave when you want. If you are coming from far away and want to stay the night I may be able to accommodate, let me know. I have a long list of stuff to achieve, and I'll write it on a big piece of cardboard for the roadkill fans. Any and all skill levels will be needed. I'll have all my planned parts/paint and tools here and ready, and parts stores are close by should we need anything else. I hope to take it to a shakedown autox after the build day and before the challenge, so all builders would be invited to the autox and we will get as many people who want to drive into the driver seat as possible. If you can make the challenge, we will raise a glass with you and if you cannot make the challenge we will raise a glass to you, I can promise that. Finally, the town I live in (Flossmoor) is hosting a festival that day as well, so if you would like to bring your SO and/or kids who aren't as enthralled with cheap cars as you are, that will be an activity that is literally a 5 minute walk from my house. Mark your calendars! Location is Flossmoor IL 60422. Southern suburbs of Chicago, about 5 minute drive south of I-80 near the IL/IN border. 3 minute walk from a metra electric stop if you are so inclined. I'll give more specifics to anyone who plans to come, PM me.

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
8/18/17 10:28 p.m.

I approve of this thread.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/19/17 9:39 a.m.

Great idea!

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
8/19/17 11:15 a.m.

I'll be out there with the family.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/19/17 11:50 a.m.

Consider making the 10th an odds and ends day, and I'm there. SWMBO'S sister is getting married on the 9th. Asked her to reconsider the date, but no go.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
8/19/17 12:10 p.m.

I had considered making the trip, but. The 11th is my little girls 3rd birthday with festivities on 9 and 10.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy SuperDork
8/19/17 12:21 p.m.

THIS. IS. AWESOME!

Count me in. (pending SWMBO's approval)

I'm not very skilled. But I'll work for free, and you get what you pay for.

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
8/19/17 12:44 p.m.
Lugnut wrote: I'll be out there with the family.

Excellent!

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
8/19/17 12:45 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Consider making the 10th an odds and ends day, and I'm there. SWMBO'S sister is getting married on the 9th. Asked her to reconsider the date, but no go.

Very likely will have odds and ends to get finalized on the 10th.

Can't believe they wouldn't move the ceremony though...

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
8/19/17 12:46 p.m.
John Welsh wrote: I had considered making the trip, but. The 11th is my little girls 3rd birthday with festivities on 9 and 10.

Totally understand! How are these kids already 3?!?

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
8/19/17 12:47 p.m.
Indy-Guy wrote: THIS. IS. AWESOME! Count me in. (pending SWMBO's approval) I'm not very skilled. But I'll work for free, and you get what you pay for.

Can't wait!

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
8/19/17 2:17 p.m.

I am a tentative maybe yes maybe... Need to check the calendar but I think that weekend is free. Also, we will look into the festival to see if the wife and kid want to come along. I would likely need a place to sleep if I come by myself though.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
8/19/17 2:24 p.m.

I looked up Flossmoor Fest and it said September 10th. Is there stuff on the 9th too?

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
8/19/17 2:40 p.m.

I'm in,

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
8/19/17 4:15 p.m.

Og coarse, I have to do the races on sat, so I can not get down there to at least photobomb you guys...or just shoot every one on film.... good luck from the GRMer north of the state line in WI.

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
8/19/17 5:29 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: I looked up Flossmoor Fest and it said September 10th. Is there stuff on the 9th too?

Ha! It's possible my wife learned the wrong date, told me the wrong date, or did everything right and I heard the wrong date.

Either way though flossmoor is a very small town and their festivals are fun but nothing to write home about.

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
8/19/17 5:31 p.m.
oldtin wrote: I'm in,

Sweet!

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
8/19/17 5:33 p.m.
ckosacranoid wrote: Og coarse, I have to do the races on sat, so I can not get down there to at least photobomb you guys...or just shoot every one on film.... good luck from the GRMer north of the state line in WI.

No worries man, maybe we can send some pics your way!

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
8/19/17 9:25 p.m.

In reply to Robbie:

Ok, I am likely a yes alone then. We talk more in email but I would probably make a weekend of it if that is ok with you guys. I am 5.5 hours away.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
8/20/17 8:58 a.m.

Tom and I are up there the last week of Sept. for a conference and the Runoffs!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau HalfDork
8/20/17 10:53 a.m.

OH man. This sounds amazing! I'm only 3 hours south and could possibly coordinate with Indy-Guy. I just might be free.

What is the welder situation? I could bring my MIG and an extra tank if you have 240V nearby. If not, a giant long dryer extension cord might be the answer here. I have a couple grinders and all the discs. I'm balls deep in a trans tunnel/floor project that I'm sick of looking at, so my sheetmetal bodging skills are pretty sharp right now (you know, for GRM quality..)

So many ideas running through my head right now. Start looking for free broken washers/dryers/appliances that can be cut-up for large flat truck bed pieces. Don't break any glass just yet, you can probably make a two-piece split rear window from the passenger side glass. The quarter glass would look nice just behind the front side windows. I bet the hatch hinge could be relocated upside-down just above the bumper for a working tailgate.

Also, there is precedent.

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
8/20/17 1:46 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: In reply to Robbie: Ok, I am likely a yes alone then. We talk more in email but I would probably make a weekend of it if that is ok with you guys. I am 5.5 hours away.

That would be really cool. We would love to have you.

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
8/20/17 1:52 p.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: Tom and I are up there the last week of Sept. for a conference and the Runoffs!

Conference in Chicago?

With any luck we'll have a Saab truck by then, maybe we can connect when you are here (if your conferences are at McCormick place that really is a direct train ride between there and my house).

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
8/20/17 1:59 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau:

I have an Eastwood mig but I have only ever used it with flux core, I don't have gas bottles or anything. I'm sure I can procure a dryer extension cord, but our dryer is gas so I'm not even sure it has a 240 outlet. I'll look.

I also have at least one old filing cabinet to scavenge from, I'm on the lookout for other materials too.

Would be awesome if you can come up though - welder in hand or not.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy SuperDork
8/21/17 6:48 p.m.
maschinenbau wrote: OH man. This sounds amazing! I'm only 3 hours south and could possibly coordinate with Indy-Guy. I just might be free.

Maschinenbau do you still have my number? I switched phones, and seem to have lost yours. Shout me a text. Yes let's coordinate rides up together.

On the welder front, I have a 110V Hobart Mig that we can use.... Not sure how much argon is in the short tank though...

Also a good source for steel is cast-off propane grills. I often see them on the curb or listed for free on the list of craigs. We might be able to score enough Stainless steel for a cheesey faux diamond plate look.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5tixOM23tmxoeOMTsURvv8nBGhm9kNu73IJWAVehkATdMwZOfgeJT96cwpKnv9zi