1 2
JAhmed
JAhmed Reader
9/16/17 4:18 p.m.

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/a-brilliant-ford-dealer-just-brought-the-f-150-lightnin-1815718462

I figured this would appeal to many people on this board, myself included. Discuss. 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
9/16/17 4:21 p.m.

That's pretty sweet. And it's not as expensive as I expected. I'd ditch the SVT badge though. 

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/16/17 4:24 p.m.

It's a quintessential muscle car. Big ol scary motor in a base model something. I like it a lot. 

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
9/16/17 4:43 p.m.

I think it's cool even though I'm not a truck guy. Dealer built cars seem pretty rare now days.

The the current crop of muscle cars are begging for Yenko-esc treatments.

I'd ditch the SVT badge too though.

codrus
codrus UltraDork
9/16/17 4:52 p.m.

Ford needs to make this official, like yesterday.

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
9/16/17 5:33 p.m.

So Ford, when do we get a 5.0 Ecoboost?  The "eco" part can come from using a twin turbo 5.0 in place of the 6.2 as the gas option in the F-250 and 350... 

JAhmed
JAhmed Reader
9/16/17 5:36 p.m.
The0retical said:

I think it's cool even though I'm not a truck guy. Dealer built cars seem pretty rare now days.

The the current crop of muscle cars are begging for Yenko-esc treatments.

I'd ditch the SVT badge too though.

I will also add that this seems to be a far more COMPLETE effort compared to the dealer cars that I DO see. I love it.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku PowerDork
9/16/17 5:50 p.m.

The price is nuts, but I like it otherwise. No stick shift in modern trucks is sad though....

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
9/16/17 6:07 p.m.
rslifkin said:

So Ford, when do we get a 5.0 Ecoboost?  The "eco" part can come from using a twin turbo 5.0 in place of the 6.2 as the gas option in the F-250 and 350... 

In the new GT500 if the rumor mill is true.

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
9/16/17 6:11 p.m.

Having once been the owner of a high powered 2wd pick-up that had major traction issues, I wonder how such a truck as this alleviates that slight issue?

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
9/16/17 6:21 p.m.

I like it. Smaller wheels with a bit more low and I'd love it.

Edit: Hopefully this takes off and replaces the current fad of preposterously jacked up heavy duty trucks.

Also, isn't traction just an obstacle standing between me and smoky donuts?

84FSP
84FSP Dork
9/16/17 6:28 p.m.

Love it - CooperTired showed me this the other day.  Ford dealers have been displaying a willingness to give people what they want and warranty with nice parts.  You can generally get the Mustang 5.0 done similarly for a bit less money.  Cool although not exactly my cup of tea.  It is not a bad time to be a gear head.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
9/16/17 7:53 p.m.
BlueInGreen44 said:

I like it. Smaller wheels with a bit more low and I'd love it.

Edit: Hopefully this takes off and replaces the current fad of preposterously jacked up heavy duty trucks.

Also, isn't traction just an obstacle standing between me and smoky donuts?

I was parked next to a stock looking F250 today, it's hood line came half way up the windows on my Disco.

As for the pseudo Lightning, Ford needs to see this and build it

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
9/16/17 9:00 p.m.

drainoil 
Having once been the owner of a high powered 2wd pick-up that had major traction issues, I wonder how such a truck as this alleviates that slight issue?

I don't see any reason why a lowered 4x4 Lightning couldn't be a possibility. 

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
9/16/17 11:16 p.m.

It's well done. Between painting 11's and rolling coal, I'll take 11's all day, and this is made for 11's. 

codrus
codrus UltraDork
9/17/17 2:14 a.m.
drainoil said:

It doesn't, that's sort of the point.  Lightnings are total hooliganmobiles, I love them. :)

yupididit
yupididit Dork
9/17/17 2:43 a.m.

$50k honestly sounds reasonable with what's done to it plus an actual warrenty or extended warrenty. Some black leather seats, Bluetooth  (a musr), and touch screen nav would really really be sweet.

How much do you think it would cost to replicate it if you bought your own f150 xl?

codrus
codrus UltraDork
9/17/17 3:07 a.m.
yupididit said:

$50k honestly sounds reasonable with what's done to it plus an actual warrenty or extended warrenty. Some black leather seats, Bluetooth  (a musr), and touch screen nav would really really be sweet.

A 2003 Lightning stickered at $33,500, which is $45K in 2017 dollars.  It made 380 hp, if this truck makes 600 then I think that extra $5K is reasonable. :)

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
9/17/17 7:13 a.m.

I just built a single cab 5.0 on the Ford site with LSD, the good stereo, and the sport package which paints the bumpers. Price on that is $31,500. Roush stage two for the truck is $7500. There are springs and shocks and wheel/tires too, so an enterprising person could probably pull it off for low 40's if they did the install themselves and didn't worry about the warranty. Less if you can find a deal on the truck. The dealer version with warranty will probably add resale to the truck so the actual cost of ownership is closer.  

I'd personally like to get it in white with the black plastic bumpers, supercharger and see what sort of drag radial I could fit on the back subtely. It would be fun. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/17/17 7:20 a.m.
wearymicrobe said:
rslifkin said:

Sad thing about that is the dramatically reduced GT350 production numbers for MY '18.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
9/17/17 10:47 a.m.
z31maniac said:
wearymicrobe said:
rslifkin said:

Sad thing about that is the dramatically reduced GT350 production numbers for MY '18.

I had not heard that. But at least even at this point there are GT350's sitting on the lots out here with minimal ADM. Still no R's though and I can imagine Ford killing that package when the GT500 comes out for weird Ford reasons.

Can you get a XL regular cab pickup from ford in a 4x4 yet?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
9/17/17 10:54 a.m.

Holy tar you can get a XL F150 in a Regular Cab in 4x4 with the big V8 no for like 34K. Put the Off-road pack to get the lower gears and drop on a blower and it would be a MONSTER

2018 Ford F-150 XL Regular Cab, 6-1/2' Box, 5.0L V8 with Auto Start/Stop Technology Engine, Electronic Ten-Speed Automatic Transmission with Tow/Haul and Sport Mode, 4X4, 3.31 Electronic Locking Axle Ratio 34.2K with discounts. Bet I could get it around 30K give or take.

6500$ or so for a whipple kit on a group buy. 

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/2015-F150-50L-Whipple-Supercharger-Kit.html

Now that would be a fun car for 40K for you Z51

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
9/17/17 2:05 p.m.

Remember one big important thing: the 4wd in an F-150 is worthless for traction on the street with a big motor.  It's just extra ride height and some dead weight.  There's no center diff (just lock the front driveshaft to the rear), so on pavement it's basically unusable (and 100% unusable if you're turning even slightly). 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/17/17 4:18 p.m.
z31maniac said:
wearymicrobe said:
rslifkin said:

According to what I've been reading on TrackHQ.com, they've essentially halved the production months for the GT350 and MY '18 will be the last of them. Presumably GT500 in  MY '19.

I like the idea of the muscle truck, but would only get a truck if I decided to end up with another track car only.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
9/17/17 4:38 p.m.
z31maniac said:
z31maniac said:
wearymicrobe said:
rslifkin said:

According to what I've been reading on TrackHQ.com, they've essentially halved the production months for the GT350 and MY '18 will be the last of them. Presumably GT500 in  MY '19.

I like the idea of the muscle truck, but would only get a truck if I decided to end up with another track car only.

I understand.

Sucks about the GT350 I was hoping it would become a standard part of the mustang line in replacement of the boss or the LS. Ford is weird right now.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
efFsmpUGWDlldCln9vDM0Y5T4ZZILdpHKJKyBq99EpHFjPvfhiJmgOHzBwzKx44Y