1 2 3
Armitage
Armitage Reader
9/9/12 5:31 p.m.

I finally had the time to tackle this project discussed here. Some backround: I crashed my car at Summit Point many years ago and did the repairs/paint myself with no prior experience. I only sprayed the affected areas so the car never matched and I was never happy with it. I wanted to give this a try as an inexpensive alternative to spending a lot of money on a paint job that could easily be ruined again.

I ordered 3 gallons of matte black plasti-dip with the Wagner sprayer. Since my order, they've changed to a new sprayer and don't ship this one anymore due to longevity issues. It worked perfectly for me and I had no issues with it. My initial impression, compared to spraying urethane paint through a proper HVLP gun is that this is 10x easier. It's extremely forgiving of mistakes as the material tends to even out and fill in as the layers build up. There is only one setting on the gun (how much material to spray) so there's not much of a learning curve like there is with a real HVLP.

I prepped the car exactly as if I were going to paint it for real. Body filler where needed to fix small dents, sanding, primer, sanding, more primer, more sanding, even more sanding, then a complete wash and de-grease. Probably no more than 10 hours invested in prep over the course of a few evenings. Mostly wait time for coats of filler/primer to dry.

I went from black-to-black. I sprayed 6 light coats which is the recommended for any job (light-to-dark included) although you may want to spray heavier for those types of jobs. I used about 1.5 gallons on the whole car. I masked the front, rear and side windows.

Peeling off your lights and window areas is the best part... Until you screw up and peel something you didn't mean to. You can use the recommended thinner with a gloved finger to massage the material back into shape if you pull it up, tear it, etc. It'll dry and adhere but you will probably want to throw down another coat after that. Also I noted that the dried material, when peeled off, is extremely lightweight. I can't imagine doing this will add more than a couple lbs tops to the car.

Right, on to the pics:

Crusty ol faded headlight cover and rock-chipped bumper/hood. Repaired some dents and dings in the fender:

Repaired old track damage to the door and quarter panel better than the first time.

GVR4s need love too:

You spray right over everything, more or less:

Repaired area:

Repaired area:

Butt shot:

Out in the light of day:

All peeled:

Overall I'm happy with how well it came out considering how poor my 20 year old paint was to start with. I'm thinking I'll rattle can my wheels bronze or gunmetal at some point which should look good with the body color. No idea what kind of longevity to expect from this stuff (special care has to be taken when washing, etc.) but I'll keep you guys posted.

JtspellS
JtspellS HalfDork
9/9/12 5:38 p.m.

Looks great! keep us updated as time goes on!

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
9/9/12 5:40 p.m.

that looks really good.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
9/9/12 6:28 p.m.

it really does look good. I wonder how it would look on a good ZAV?

Woody
Woody MegaDork
9/9/12 6:29 p.m.

I'm really starting to like this stuff.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH PowerDork
9/9/12 6:41 p.m.

Looks good, should be easier to take care of then the expensive matte paint available on the pricey sports cars.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH PowerDork
9/9/12 6:41 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: it really does look good. I wonder how it would look on a good ZAV?

I think it looks too good for a ZAV

4g63t
4g63t HalfDork
9/9/12 6:44 p.m.

"GVR-4s need love too." Mine sure as he11 does by berkeley!!!!!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
9/9/12 6:46 p.m.

That looks really good. The thought of a matte black rubber car down here in Texas makes me all sorts of uncomfortable, but they've got some cool colors too. I should really do this to my bike now that I think about it.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH PowerDork
9/9/12 6:53 p.m.
4g63t wrote: "GVR-4s need love too." Mine sure as he11 does by berkeley!!!!!

Well then update your Reader's Rides entry for it with some pics!

KATYB
KATYB Dork
9/9/12 6:55 p.m.

they do have a gloss top coat u can use also to make things more of a semi gloss/gloss. and ofcourse u can even mix up mettalics of it now.

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
9/9/12 7:33 p.m.

That looks great!

I wish I would have went with the gun they sell. I know it would have been easier and likely to have a better result.

Mines holding up fine after a little over a month. I've got some stains from not getting bird droppings off soon enough but I doubt you'll have that problem being black.

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 HalfDork
9/9/12 7:44 p.m.

I am curious of how it holds up to road debris, bugs and general wear-and-tear. I suppose its easy enough to just throw another coat on it.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
9/9/12 8:06 p.m.

What was your material cost? Did it take the full 3 gallons?

Armitage
Armitage Reader
9/9/12 8:24 p.m.

If you don't count any equipment, it was about $90 in materials to do the whole car. I only used 1.5 gallons. Larger cars or going light-to-dark or dark-to-light would require more.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
9/10/12 6:54 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
mad_machine wrote: it really does look good. I wonder how it would look on a good ZAV?
I think it looks too good for a ZAV

Well I'm now thinking of doing this to my '78 Chevy Crew Cab 1 Ton Dually...

fidelity101
fidelity101 New Reader
9/10/12 8:37 a.m.

After I "re"painted my suburban people were always asking me "OH MAN IS THAT PLASTI-DIP???"

NO yo buffoon! this is a hillbilly truck, its bedliner :)

slefain
slefain SuperDork
9/10/12 9:08 a.m.

Cool. I've been thinking of doing a "faux touring" treatment to my '75 Duster. I want to Plastic Dip the hood, the bumpers, and the headlight buckets. Toss on a set of 17" Soft 8s and I'm done.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
9/10/12 10:53 a.m.

i might plasti-dip a beater, but it seems like the kind of process you could never go back from.

Conquest351
Conquest351 SuperDork
9/10/12 10:55 a.m.

That looks f-ing awesome!!!

EvanB
EvanB UberDork
9/10/12 11:10 a.m.
belteshazzar wrote: i might plasti-dip a beater, but it seems like the kind of process you could never go back from.

How so? When you want to paint it right you just peel it off.

alex
alex UltraDork
9/10/12 11:11 a.m.

Looks great. I'm definitely curious about long term durability, cleaning, touch up, etc. Good on you for being a guinea pig!

Tyler H
Tyler H Dork
9/10/12 12:47 p.m.

Did you primer it, or go straight over the body filler? Looks good.

Tyler H
Tyler H Dork
9/10/12 12:50 p.m.

Detailing tip I figured out for faded ABS black bumper trim and lip spoilers like your first pic: You can use an instant-on handheld MAP torch and move it quickly over that haze and it disappears. I do that rather than repaint.

*don't melt it or blow yourself up.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
9/10/12 12:57 p.m.

Does anyone know if you can do a two-tone in plasti-dip?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oJNmyTuc29ayHPE2NsRdLnOLvEEfjc9rGtHdHhWRHjB5DQSwfdYoSTSTaz3d42ZP