chockrl
chockrl New Reader
8/16/17 8:13 p.m.

We are looking at a 2012 Range Rover Sport HSE Luxury with 113k miles. It has the Jaguar 5.0l v8, which seems to be pretty reliable. There isn't many of the newer L320 (2010+) with that engine at high miles, any experiences to share? 2013 was the last year before a redesign, so most of the issues should have been worked out. Looking for any info or resources to checkout before driving it home. At half the miles i would have already bought it, but having some reservations.

yupididit
yupididit Dork
8/16/17 8:29 p.m.

Timing chain tensioners on the 5.0 liter engine are a problem. Look for a rattle or clicking noise at idle coming from the front of the engine. And waterpumps were issues too.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot HalfDork
8/16/17 9:08 p.m.

I had a 2011. I think the v8 in it was a ford engine. I only kept it a year so I can't add much to this discussion.

yupididit
yupididit Dork
8/16/17 9:38 p.m.

Nope, not a ford engine.

chockrl
chockrl New Reader
8/17/17 6:02 a.m.

Is the timing chain issue effecting every engine, or does proper maintenance help prevent it? The service history shows the a land rover dealer did all the service work.

yupididit
yupididit Dork
8/17/17 10:02 a.m.
chockrl wrote: Is the timing chain issue effecting every engine, or does proper maintenance help prevent it? The service history shows the a land rover dealer did all the service work.

Did they do the tensioners?

Shawnb
Shawnb New Reader
8/17/17 11:46 a.m.

Not a vehicle you want outside of warranty.

I've owned various RR over the years, and they really start to fall apart outside of warranty. Even during warranty, you will deal with constant little issues, requiring dealer visits.

One with 100+k miles is going to be in need of constant attention, the experience just isn't worth the hassle.

Ricky Spanish
Ricky Spanish Reader
8/17/17 3:09 p.m.

Ranger Rover Sport is for the nouveau riche who don't know that it's just a gussied up Disco using the last generation's platform. Get an actual Disco, or an older full-size.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
8/17/17 6:38 p.m.

Discos and older full size RRs use the same basic chassis

curtis73
curtis73 PowerDork
8/18/17 12:54 p.m.

As has been said, its a Disco underneath.

I thought the Jag engines solved the tensioner issues by 2001. Or was that just in the Jags?

I had an 04 Disco with 48k on it at the shop I ran. Guy refused to pay the $175 diagnostic fee and instead brought us the title. We fixed the trashed Jatco, replaced the knocking and cracked motor with a junkyard motor, and we couldn't give it away for $4000. 48k and about 5 years old, needed a new engine and transmission, and wouldn't sell for $4k.

There is a reason used RR's are dirt cheap. They are wonderful vehicles for 5000-6000 miles. After that, you have a very expensive pile of assorted recyclable pieces of scrap.

yupididit
yupididit Dork
8/18/17 3:58 p.m.

They solved the tensioner issues with the 4.2 v8 but went back to their old self with the 5.0 lol

chockrl
chockrl New Reader
8/18/17 8:13 p.m.

The dealer that did all the servicing won't give me any info, siteing privacy. Land Rover did provide me with the warranty/recall repairs that were completed, but didn't have or wouldn't share maintenance records. There wasn't anything about the timing chain or tensioners.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/18/17 9:10 p.m.

"Privacy." Right. Run.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
8/18/17 10:18 p.m.

granted my 03 Disco needed a new engine at 85,000, but at close to 98,000 it is still going strong. If you do not mind doing the work yourself, they are not a bad vehicle. It's when you have to pay somebody to do the work that you wind up with a "rover tax" that equates well with the "Porsche tax" and the "BMW Tax" at most dealerships.

I could not imagine what I would have had to pay to have somebody do the front brakes on mine considering that I had to cut one of the discs off. As it was, I have close to a grand in parts alone, but I went above and beyond stock Rover parts.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cIU3W8jlyTY4n7jryGz34hvcnrMi8R1A9rwvzaWRdgu3m3t0lXLvTe82jVZxyfhs