oldsaw UltimaDork
Aug. 17, 2017 8:10 p.m.

I'm a few touch-up sweeps away from finishing a rattle-can paint job and then I want to work on making it look a little bit better. There are a few runs but not enough to count as a marathon so I want to start there first.

Anybody got some recommendations for video inspiration?

Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
Aug. 17, 2017 8:44 p.m.

Subbing so i can learn as well. Im going to have to so the miata and challenge car here in the next couple of weeks.

Aug. 18, 2017 10:00 a.m.

Edit: Sorry, I just realized you asked for a video. I don't have any to recommend on that front.

I've used the same technique as this Meguiars Aussiville link.. There's not much to it other than to try to keep even pressure over the run, so you're actually sanding away the run and not gouging into the paint at the edge of the block.

For sanding water, I've always used warm tap water with a single drop of dawn in it in a large cup. Rinse often with a hose to wash away swarf so you don't grind dust into the surrounding area.

The real problem is that even after wet sanding with a 2000 grit paper, you really have to have a decent polisher to blend it in. It takes for freakin' EVAR to do by hand and get good gloss! I can't imagine those huge harbor freight $20 dollar ones doing the job.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Classic Motorsports

Restoration Impossible: Finishing Off the Engine

27 minutes ago in Project Cars

We add the air box and air cleaner.

Basic Training: 10 Steps to Faster Laps

1 day ago in Articles

Driving Coach Peter Krause's 10 Steps to Faster Laps

Sporty Swede: The Volvo P1800

4 days ago in Articles

Beautiful Design Meets a Rock-Solid Chassis

Classic Motorsports Car Catcher: GSM Dart

5 days ago in News

The vintage racer you never knew you wanted.

Rare Bird: The Swallow Doretti

6 days ago in Articles

The Swallow Doretti May Look and Sound Italian, But It's British

Classic Motorsports Car Catcher: Beautiful Bugeye

1 week ago in News

Leake Auction Company is selling this 1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite this weekend.

Rally Revival

1 week ago in Articles

Pavement or Not, Porsches Have Found Victory

Birthdays

Mlassic Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Classic Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
Ljutbav5YFBgZ55Su2VAgxoyLVQRs753