1 2 3
irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
6/15/17 6:28 p.m.

Doesn't seem like SCCA has publicized this too well, so figured i'd post it up. It's July 7th-9th (competition 8th and 9th, 7th is just registration in the afternoon/evening) at our great site at the Rally Farm in Catlett, VA (about 45 minutes south of Washington DC). The venue is grass/dirt (not gravel like our old site) and you can camp on-site. All in all should be a good time with some of the best drivers in the country attending.

Of course, as with any rallycross, you can come out in virtually any car (convertibles must have a hardtop, and no tall SUVs or pickups), bone-stock or heavily modified, whatever. This season we've already seen a variety of cars with wins, from e30s to Miatas to old Hyundai Accents to new WRXs. So bring your CL beater or your daily driver and come have a good time!

Registration is here. Good, cheap, dirty fun!

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/2017-dirtfish-scca-rx-east-national-challenge-rally-farm-rallycross-335260

Oh, and GRM staff: Why don't you bring that Focus up for this one and compete??

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
6/15/17 6:47 p.m.

I very much want to go to this. Getting my teammates on board is proving to be quite the chore.

Also, we are running smaller than stock wheels so it bumps us to another class :(

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
6/15/17 7:53 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: I very much want to go to this. Getting my teammates on board is proving to be quite the chore. Also, we are running smaller than stock wheels so it bumps us to another class :(

bah, just bump yourself all the way up to FWD modified (I am assuming the car is FWD). Nobody else is entered in that class, so you're sure to win ;)

Alternately, just run stock FWD. Nobody in that class either, so nobody will protest you!

For some strange reason, ALL of the FWD cars registered are in Prepared class....

Also, why do you need teammates?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
6/15/17 8:39 p.m.

I don't trust the car to make a 5 hour drive, survive 2 days of rallyx and make the 5 hour drive back. Would be nice to have the other guys to help when something inevitably goes wrong.

Or, would be nice to split gas/rental truck for the weekend 3 ways :)

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
6/15/17 9:07 p.m.

Ah, right. On the upside, the Rally Farm is owned by rallyists, and they live there and have a huge high-bay garage building, tools, etc......so most things you could possibly break we'd be able to help you fix there, I'm sure. Plus many of us (like me) live close, and have most any tool you could need to fix anything.

I hear you on the split costs though.

Alternately, I know of at least two locals who can't make it who are renting their cars for the weekend - Shawn (moxnix on here) usually rents his second miata for cheap, and one of our e30 guys is renting his 318i for $100 for the weekend (prepared class, I think, on snow tires, with working A/C). So there's always the option...

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
6/15/17 9:34 p.m.

I hope we get enough PR drivers that I don't need to bump up to MR for this event....

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
6/15/17 9:41 p.m.
moxnix wrote: I hope we get enough PR drivers that I don't need to bump up to MR for this event....

we all hope that ;)

I will be submitting a rule modification for 2018 disallowing magical unicorn modifications in MOD class.

that said, you may be the only person who can beat John England in MR, so maybe for the greater good you should

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
6/16/17 10:09 a.m.

I'm hoping to make it, but that's going to depend on whether or not the XR4Ti blows up when I run a more local rallycross next weekend.

bluej
bluej UltraDork
6/16/17 10:53 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin:

There's also a parts store (AdvanceZone) close by in the shopping area most of us run to for lunch.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
6/16/17 4:48 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: I'm hoping to make it, but that's going to depend on whether or not the XR4Ti blows up when I run a more local rallycross next weekend.

yessssss, like old times :)

ojannen
ojannen New Reader
6/16/17 5:13 p.m.

I am running a test and tune tomorrow in a new car. If it survives, I will sign up on Sunday.

Gaunt596
Gaunt596 New Reader
6/17/17 12:44 p.m.

Wish I could make this, car needs a lot of work before it can run again.

ojannen
ojannen New Reader
6/19/17 10:23 a.m.

Does anyone know what the starting line school will be like? I haven't had any rallycross instruction since my first event or two.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
6/19/17 11:03 a.m.

I'm headed to Tarheel Sportscar Clubs Rallycross school this coming Saturday with a points event Sunday with my buddies 2015 stock WRX.

I am having trouble finding videos/etc that make it look very exciting even compared to autocross lol, but I am guessing it will be a blast.

I saw that there was stuff up at the Rally Farm but its a bit of a drive from NC

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
6/19/17 12:44 p.m.

Videos of rallycross never look exciting, actually doing it is very fun.

RedGT
RedGT HalfDork
6/19/17 1:04 p.m.

I was going to go until I sold the rallyx car...then replaced it...then took the replacement apart.

We'll see. Maybe.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
6/19/17 1:22 p.m.
Jaynen wrote: I'm headed to Tarheel Sportscar Clubs Rallycross school this coming Saturday with a points event Sunday with my buddies 2015 stock WRX. I am having trouble finding videos/etc that make it look very exciting even compared to autocross lol, but I am guessing it will be a blast. I saw that there was stuff up at the Rally Farm but its a bit of a drive from NC

My fastest afternoon run

My fastest morning run (I think)

Last event was the same site as this weekends event. I was fastest 2WD to give you an idea. Rally cross is a ton of fun, but it will never look fast from the video. The course @ wilson isn't that fast, but it gets quick across the finish. I'm well into 3rd when I cross so maybe mid 60s mph.

I'll be there on Sunday in the red pile of E36 M3 B15 Sentra.

wae
wae Dork
6/19/17 1:50 p.m.

Hmmmmm. I should have my new axles by then... does the on-site camping include room to park a small motorhome? (32ft long plus 20ft open trailer and about 11.5ft height clearance)

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
6/19/17 2:20 p.m.

I'm not sure if I am going to attend or not. The main problem is finding someone to watch my dog for the weekend. And driving 6 hours each way in the Miata.

bluej
bluej UltraDork
6/19/17 2:36 p.m.
wae wrote: Hmmmmm. I should have my new axles by then... does the on-site camping include room to park a small motorhome? (32ft long plus 20ft open trailer and about 11.5ft height clearance)

I'd shoot them (Rally Farm) a message on facespace to confirm, but they've got a LOT of room.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
6/19/17 4:04 p.m.
Jaynen wrote: I'm headed to Tarheel Sportscar Clubs Rallycross school this coming Saturday with a points event Sunday with my buddies 2015 stock WRX. I am having trouble finding videos/etc that make it look very exciting even compared to autocross lol, but I am guessing it will be a blast. I saw that there was stuff up at the Rally Farm but its a bit of a drive from NC

it's more exciting if you're in RWD class

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
6/19/17 4:06 p.m.
wae wrote: Hmmmmm. I should have my new axles by then... does the on-site camping include room to park a small motorhome? (32ft long plus 20ft open trailer and about 11.5ft height clearance)

I mean, there are guys with F350s pulling 26' enclosed trailers to our local events (RallyX chair Steve Hyatt, ahem...). I doubt your combined rig is THAT much bigger. But like Josh said, there is a ton of space at Rally Farm. Only issue could be that all the parking is on farm fields....so if it's been wet a lot before the event, getting OUT of the spot could be difficult lol.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
6/19/17 4:07 p.m.
EvanB wrote: I'm not sure if I am going to attend or not. The main problem is finding someone to watch my dog for the weekend. And driving 6 hours each way in the Miata.

bah, just have Pete drive it and drive something more comfortable down yourself :)

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
6/19/17 6:53 p.m.

Rally Farm owner told me: "We don't have an issue with it. There aren't any hook ups for RVs though."

wae
wae Dork
6/19/17 8:00 p.m.
irish44j wrote:
Rally Farm owner told me: "We don't have an issue with it. There aren't any hook ups for RVs though."

I've got 3500 watts of generator and plenty of water tanks! I may have to see if I can manage that trip.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gqg3FkQMXhlJZtkORfnsRbDK6UtHD2a9MdfRFaCLFURRHTaDMyRfhsp3vXmFcctV