M030
M030 HalfDork
1/8/13 7:53 a.m.

Does anyone know, first hand, how awful a conversion the Zloncoln Mk8 DOHC V8 to V6 SN95 Mustang Swsp is? In the current issue of Car Craft, there's an 88 or 89 Fox body Mustang that got the Mk8 swap, but I'm imagining that putting the same engine into a '99 Mustang might create some electrical challenges (nightmares?) Does anybody really know? Both cars are so cheap (the 99 Mustang V6 and the Luncoln Mk8), it seems like I could build a pukka Cobra for challenge money.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
1/8/13 8:06 a.m.

There are swap kits available for just about an conceivable Mustang V8 engine swap, assuming you are swapping a Mustang V8 in.

Is that Lincoln V8 a Modular? If so, you can simply use a Modular swap kit, though I'm not sure how you would go about fabbing up headers and doing engine management.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
1/8/13 8:15 a.m.

Get the Cobra wiring harness and intake, this will push it beyond Challenge money, but will make it PnP after swapping in a modular k-member. It doesn't have to be 4v, modulars are ALL the same from the head gaskets down dimensionally, the V6 k-member is different.

Don't forget to J-mod the 4R and bolt in an 8.8.

M030
M030 HalfDork
1/8/13 8:17 a.m.

The Lincoln engine, as far as I understand,is almost identical to the DOHC mod motor in the SN95 Cobras. Therefore, I think I can use Cobra engine mounts and headers designed for SN95 Cobras. The engine management, however, scares the crap out of me!

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
1/8/13 8:45 a.m.

you'll just need a dohc cobra harness and ecu, and probably a couple wiring diagrams. a cobra donor car might be a good idea, then you could take the engine, trans, ecu, k-member, other various mounts and rearend from the cobra

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UberDork
1/8/13 10:12 a.m.
M030 wrote: The Lincoln engine, as far as I understand,is almost identical to the DOHC mod motor in the SN95 Cobras.

Lincoln motor doesn't have a forged crank and the cams aren't quite as aggressive.

Modded Mustangs Forum - Step by Step guide to installing a Mark VIII motor in a 96+ GT

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
1/8/13 10:47 a.m.

The biggest problem would be that you wind up with a massive, hard to work on engine without particularly impressive horsepower. Keep the single cam and spend the money on a blower. Or LS it. Or swap in a 302...

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UberDork
1/8/13 11:33 a.m.
Strizzo wrote: a cobra donor car might be a good idea, then you could take the engine, trans, ecu, k-member, other various mounts and rearend from the cobra

K-member, transmission, and rear-end are identical between the GT and Cobra (unless you decide to go IRS). I'm 99% sure the motor mounts are identical, also.

EDIT: I missed that the OP had a sixxer, not a GT.

Only benefit to the SRA Cobra rear is that it has 3.27s, and at that time GTs were still stock with 2.73s. If you have a New Edge ('99-'04), though, GTs also have 3.27s, and either way behind the b-port you're going to want 3.73s if not 4.10s.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/8/13 11:38 a.m.

LSx. Someone had to say it.

Caleb
Caleb Reader
1/8/13 11:52 a.m.

A cheaper option would be to do a 351w or 302 swap because you can keep your transmission(you need to change the bell housing 94-95 gt/cobra) and you can keep your stock crossmember. Then just run a carb set up and have way less invested and more torque and horse power with a 351w

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
1/8/13 2:52 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: The biggest problem would be that you wind up with a massive, hard to work on engine without particularly impressive horsepower. Keep the single cam and spend the money on a blower. Or LS it. Or swap in a 302...

why stop at a 302? a 460 fills up the engine bay almost as much as a DOHC mod motor, can be done with parts from your favorite local Ford dealer, and is a freaking big block in a small car..

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/8/13 3:13 p.m.

Buy a sn95 GT with a 347 or blower already done for $6k?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
1/8/13 3:44 p.m.

I know for a fact that you need to go to Hydroboost for brakes. I had a college roomate that did the V6 to Cobra engine conversion. He had no assist at all, he just said he didn't feel like installing the Hydroboost.

Will
Will Dork
1/8/13 6:02 p.m.

Mechanically it should be pretty easy, but you'll need a lot of parts, including the Cobra wiring harness, V8 k-member, transmission (4R70W, T45, T3650 or T56), new driveshaft, hydroboost brake setup (not sure the Lincoln PS pump will work w/hydroboost), etc.

M030
M030 HalfDork
1/9/13 6:54 a.m.

Would love to do an LS swap instead! Anybody have any information on how to make that work?

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
1/9/13 7:11 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: LSx. Someone had to say it.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
1/9/13 7:26 a.m.
M030 wrote: Would love to do an LS swap instead! Anybody have any information on how to make that work?

It's been done so much they now have kits to do it. http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-pro-series-chrome-moly-k-member-kit-96-ls1-solid.html

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
1/9/13 8:06 a.m.
M030 wrote: Would love to do an LS swap instead! Anybody have any information on how to make that work?

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids-28/

Read away. It is at least 1:1 ratio mustang to anything else build threads.

Stay away from UPR... Unless you like blantantly copied, Chinese made junk parts except for the heavy bling bling crap.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
1/9/13 8:58 a.m.

Thanks for the heads up on UPR. I haven't dealt with a lot of the Mustang vendors, just used their link as an example. Definitely avoid the Chinese made stuff.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
1/9/13 9:24 a.m.

How well will a World Class T-5 live behind an L33 or similar all-aluminum variant of the 5.3 truck L-type GM V8?

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
1/9/13 12:53 p.m.

In reply to pres589:

Anywhere from it will blow up when you first get on it to lasting 100s of passes doing 11s on slicks.

I don't think no one had honestly tried. It have WC T5 (V6) that lived behind a LT1 that I may try behind the 4.8L.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XOgF8f41NDQLACOMS3usvwa7qcOzVNn6hE49Q5Hko1OCEsM6GhqicsVc2gtmcq9Y