1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/15/17 10:12 a.m.
feature_image

Back in the day, you saw the Mitsubishi Eclipse everywhere: Firehawk races, "The Fast and the Furious" movies, countless high school parking lots. The Eclipse didn’t exactly leave us on a high note, but the model name is coming back–apparently as an SUV.

The 2018 Mitsubishi E…

Read the rest of the story

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Digital Experience Director
11/15/17 10:14 a.m.

Yes. This is definitely something we needed. 

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
11/15/17 10:17 a.m.

Because we just needed to change the outlanders name to something people might like?

NickD
NickD SuperDork
11/15/17 10:25 a.m.

Can Mitsubishi just quit circling the drain and finally die? I mean, their lineup is now the 10 year old Lancer (with slightly refreshened sheetmetal and slated to go away without replacement after this year), the Outlander (now Eclipse) that is pushing 8 years old and the Mirage ('nuff said), and the brand has become the equivalent of a sleazy Buy Here Pay Here lot for new cars.

Kreb
Kreb UltraDork
11/15/17 10:37 a.m.

Woo hoo! Another tall hatchback! I'm sure that the racetracks will be full of those!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/15/17 10:39 a.m.

Credit score under 600?  No problem, Mitsubishi has a car for you.

Credit score 600 to 650?  Step right up to your new Nissan.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
11/15/17 10:51 a.m.

I miss the days when Mitsubishi built mechanical time bombs, instead of catering to financial time bombs.

WildScotsRacingCampbellCougarSeed
WildScotsRacingCampbellCougarSeed Dork
11/15/17 11:36 a.m.

Annnnnd instant disappointment and complete lack of interest upon seeing a re-named Outlander in the pic. angry

GCrites80s
GCrites80s New Reader
11/15/17 11:37 a.m.

They're probably not really refreshing anything since they know the subprime auto loan market is about to melt down.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy New Reader
11/15/17 11:41 a.m.

Mitsubishi really should just get out of the car game.

They're killing it eeeeeverywhere else. Just stop with cars and you might be even better off.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
11/15/17 11:49 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Yea they need to just cut their losses and go back to "Heavy Industries" they've been calling it in for a while on the automotive front. Can we trade for the new cool Suzuki?

thedanimal
thedanimal HalfDork
11/15/17 11:52 a.m.

My new favorite bit is seeing the bigger used car only stores snagging up Mitsu franchises. Basically nothing changes, they just have a Mitsu sign out front and a few dozen Mirages. 

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
11/15/17 11:59 a.m.

I read that MMC actually showed an operating profit in their Q2 and 3 earnings. Thanks, Nissan. Too bad about the Eclipse though; when I saw the title of the thread I was excited at the possibilities. Then I clicked...

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
11/15/17 12:04 p.m.

Anybody else remember Mitsubishi's obnoxious radio pitchman in the late '90s who would call people and ask "What's your excuse?" Mitsubishi's upper management needs a call from him.

codrus
codrus UltraDork
11/15/17 12:13 p.m.

Man, and I thought the Eclipse name couldn't sink any lower than this car.  I guess I was wrong.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
11/15/17 1:04 p.m.
codrus said:

Man, and I thought the Eclipse name couldn't sink any lower than this car.  I guess I was wrong.

And they made that rolling frog-shaped disappointment for 6 years!

yupididit
yupididit SuperDork
11/15/17 1:07 p.m.

Man in the 80's and 90's they were awesome. 2000's they had the evo....but now...die please. You have 100 other industries you do well in, cut this dying limb and move on!

Snrub
Snrub Reader
11/15/17 1:21 p.m.

Any to think they had the name "Zero" just sitting in their back pocket...

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
11/15/17 2:09 p.m.

Why not sell off? Give this headache to someone like... dare I say it... Subaru. Who can then properly build an AWD car for them. (Ducks behind desk)

RevRico
RevRico UltraDork
11/15/17 2:12 p.m.

Wasn't it big news like 3 years ago that Mitsubishi automotive was leaving America as a brand? What happened to that?

RossD
RossD MegaDork
11/15/17 2:17 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Big news? Barely a footnote considering their market foothold or lack of it.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/15/17 2:32 p.m.

Still not as bad as the 3rd gen eclipse. Those were dark times. 

NickD
NickD SuperDork
11/15/17 3:11 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Still not as bad as the 3rd gen eclipse. Those were dark times. 

Ahhhh, the cheese grater Eclipse. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
11/15/17 3:30 p.m.
RevRico said:

Wasn't it big news like 3 years ago that Mitsubishi automotive was leaving America as a brand? What happened to that?

A few more bad decisions like this, and it's bound to happen.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/15/17 3:57 p.m.

Can we tune it with a ball valve from Granger? 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j2GoUhjVE8PycOsXm2xG4ItuYSYrrJiq3rW9VbBezO6jBTEJJHQdeR5y0zTu8q7y