1 2 3 4 5
Grizz
Grizz UberDork
10/16/17 3:42 a.m.
bluej said:
Woody said:

I've been warning you people about this sort of thing. This is why we need to move the Challenge to New England next year...

DC area is right in the middle.  Just sayin... 

Yeah but it's also the dc area.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
10/16/17 7:25 a.m.

I didn't know this guy either, so I checked out the Wiki.  I loved the lines "a white supremacist think tank" and "a center of alt-right thought."  Since they eschew all facts and data, all they can really do is think things up.  

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/16/17 8:25 a.m.
pinchvalve said:

Since they eschew all facts and data, all they can really do is think things up.  

Doesn't that essentially describe all "think tanks"? 

That's gotta be the best job in the world: getting paid a ridiculous amount of money to think of ways to tell a group of people things they want to hear.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
10/16/17 10:15 a.m.

Ya'll Remember how to make GIANT Sling shots from Surgical tubing ? you know the ones that throw paint filled Baloons several Hundred Yards. 

I KNOW NUT TING.          and I'll be Busy.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Digital Experience Director
10/16/17 11:16 a.m.

Yeah, we're aware of the Nazi-fest, and don't anticipate it impacting our event. The track, hotel, and route between them should be mostly hate-free. The absolute best thing we can do is ignore them and have fun this weekend.

Here's to a fun (and Nazi-free) weekend!

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
10/16/17 12:35 p.m.

Two words:

Challenge Trebuchet.

Bonus points for using a functional challenge car as a counter weight. 

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
10/16/17 3:30 p.m.
Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
10/16/17 4:04 p.m.

In reply to The0retical :

Thanks, now I want to build a Trabantuchet...

Aw hell, who am I kidding - I've always wanted to build one.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot HalfDork
10/16/17 6:17 p.m.

Interwebz says FL governor has declared state of emergency.  IIRC in NC during state of emergency, liquor stores are closed.  You might want to plan ahead.

B13Birk
B13Birk Reader
10/16/17 8:26 p.m.

In reply to M2Pilot :

That is correct, affective for alachua county. 

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
10/17/17 10:02 a.m.
M2Pilot said:

Interwebz says FL governor has declared state of emergency.  IIRC in NC during state of emergency, liquor stores are closed.  You might want to plan ahead.

now that is an emergency...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
10/17/17 10:07 a.m.

Welp, I've been playing dumb about this to my family so far, they're probably gonna notice now though...

Update: Aw E36 M3 it's hit CNN:

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/17/us/university-florida-richard-spencer-speech/index.html

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
10/17/17 10:45 a.m.

We need a batch of Challenge T-shirts that read "Berkley Nazi Shiny Happy People." Imagine the confusion that would cause.

If there's any good points to hate groups, at least they're just making speeches and not blowing stuff up.  America gives these guys a choice between being treated as a political party or as a conspiracy to commit murder, and fringe groups often (but not always) realize they need to keep their mad dogs on a leash if they want to be left alone.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
10/17/17 10:48 a.m.

I heard this morning that counter protests are planned now with Antifa showing up, this is how things get out of hand.  Everyone be careful.  The Blues Brothers are never around when you need them.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
10/17/17 11:06 a.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

We need a batch of Challenge T-shirts that read "Berkley Nazi Shiny Happy People." Imagine the confusion that would cause.

Sounds like some bizarro nazi/UFO hybrid cult based in Berkeley cheeky

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
10/17/17 11:10 a.m.

Media/politicians are doing a wonderful job making sure Spencers name gets out there even more.

I can't tell if they're stupid or malicious.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot HalfDork
10/17/17 2:23 p.m.
fidelity101 said:
M2Pilot said:

now that is an emergency...

It could be indeed.  That's why I suggested planning ahead.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/17/17 2:38 p.m.
GTXVette said:

Ya'll Remember how to make GIANT Sling shots from Surgical tubing ? you know the ones that throw paint filled Baloons several Hundred Yards. 

I KNOW NUT TING.          and I'll be Busy.

I have been in a crowd that was subject to water balloon artillery fire from one of those - the guys running the slingshot were out of sight and were keeping the rate of fire low enough that it took quite a few shots before their position was triangulated. Of course the launches are silent. It was very effective. They were shooting from a prepared position and had already bracketed the target area.

It was a frosh week crowd being shelled by engineer students, BTW. I seem to recall the counter-offensive team returning with captured boxer shorts.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
10/17/17 3:14 p.m.
Grizz said:

Media/politicians are doing a wonderful job making sure Spencers name gets out there even more.

If nothing happens there are no ratings or publicity. They are playing the public like a instrument, whipping everyone into a frenzy and the suckers are falling for it. Next week it will be something different, but the idiots will fall for that one too. If it wasn't so disheartening, it would be funny. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
10/17/17 3:20 p.m.

The media is a whore.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
10/17/17 3:25 p.m.

Doesn't this go beyond media to straight up propaganda? Im asking for clarification, not trying to get political or become part of a patio or something.

I may be thinking of propaganda wrong.  Want an education. 

RevRico
RevRico UltraDork
10/17/17 3:26 p.m.
racerdave600 said:

I heard this morning that counter protests are planned now with Antifa showing up, this is how things get out of hand.  Everyone be careful.  The Blues Brothers are never around when you need them.

This is far more troubling news that Richard Spencer and a handful of idiots. 

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Dork
10/17/17 3:33 p.m.
Toyman01 said:
Grizz said:

If nothing happens there are no ratings or publicity. They are playing the public like a instrument, whipping everyone into a frenzy and the suckers are falling for it. Next week it will be something different, but the idiots will fall for that one too. If it wasn't so disheartening, it would be funny. 

If I may quote a line from a song: Talk is cheap, people follow like sheep. Even though there is nowhere to go.

Corollary: There are only three types of people in the world: sheep, sheep dogs, and wolves. The sheep fear the wolves they can see, loathe the wolves the can't see, hate the sheep dogs they both see and don't see because they often look like the wolves, and are too self-absorbed to discern the difference.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
10/17/17 5:32 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

Now that I know why the state of emergency was asked for by the sheriff it makes more sense. Wants the NG at the ready to help deal with the inevitable antifa riot.

Ideally the politicians that decide to just let them riot or openly make things worse like the dildo in Charlotte should be charged with aiding and abetting at the very least.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
10/17/17 5:42 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

The absolute best thing we can do is rainbow paintjobs on all of the Challenge cars.

Crackers said:

Two words:

Challenge Trebuchet.

Bonus points for using a functional challenge car as a projectile

Fixed.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
12NF1gWSdqTUZ2FabqVf9vy2P8pwI3ICPV3eWnAqFt6Wv441CN5HQ8zHncNaepgU