1 2
Toyman01
Toyman01 SuperDork
9/30/10 9:15 p.m.

Note to self. Never go to NY. Ever.

I have exceeded tow ratings more than once. I've even had 20000 pounds behind a 3/4 ton truck. The brakes would worry me more than the transmission. With trailer brakes I would consider a CRX behind a CRV. Without, no way.

Wally
Wally SuperDork
9/30/10 9:26 p.m.

I was in line for one of those spot checks behind a garbage truck that was obviously overloaded. As he pulled on the portable scale with the front wheels he locked the brakes and tore the pad free from the scales so they were broken. He got a lecture about how to stop but they couldn't ticket him since they couldn't weigh him.

emodspitfire
emodspitfire New Reader
9/30/10 10:17 p.m.

Take the truck.

Rog

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
9/30/10 11:20 p.m.

Man i make a lot of posts about towing here..

I towed my 09 challenge car (~2500 lbs) on a dolley (~500 lbs) FULL of extra junk (+300 lbs?) behind my dodge dynasty (~3000 lbs) full of 3 people and their luggage (+800 lbs) from TX to FL and back.. over 2k miles round trip. I had NO problems, in fact, it was one of the best, least eventful towing trips ive ever had.

The dynasty gets 23-24mpg empty, and i got 17 with it LOADED down and towing.

I also raced a road raging semi for miles and miles, too.

Now, my dynasty has a trans cooler, a transmission that was put in 3800 lb vans with 250lb ft motors from the factory, a 3.3L motor, the biggest oem brake swap i could put on it, WAY better than stock tires, stiffer suspension blah blah blah. If it was stock it would have been a bad idea because i did feel i was on the limit with that much stuff. I think the GCVW was almost 8000 lbs when the dynasty itself, empty, weighs only 3000.

But like i said, one of the best towing experiences of my life.

Ive also towed with 3k lb jeep cherokees that have more motor and WAY more transmission and found that to be.. NOT good.

I would say it is possible, but the risks people are mentioning are valid. I doubt the car would break.. but if you wipe out or get hit with massive legal annoyances that could be pretty horrible.

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
10/1/10 6:05 a.m.

Many good points here, which is what I expected. And those good points have convinced me that it's not something I should do. I'll have to look only for a car that can be driven back to Ohio. Thanks for the mental adjustment, guys!

FlightService
FlightService New Reader
10/1/10 6:37 a.m.

Remember to take terrain into effect here. I have seen it mentioned before but it bares repeating. Driving from Florida to Texas is a nice flat road, Ohio to Florida is not. You have Kentucky and Tennessee to deal with and some serious grades in those two states.

There is more than just brakes and frame to worry about. How do you like your transmission? Original recipe or extra crispy? The CR-V was never designed as a tow vehicle, and the drivetrain was never set up for it. You could get it there with a little expense but by then you would be at the same price, if not more, than taking the truck (fuel difference etc.)

If you are determined to take the CR-V a tow dolly would be your best way to go. The CR-V doesn't need a #1000 lb trailer on top of the weight of the car. Take it slow and easy.

My last piece of advice is take the truck.

Good Luck

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Reader
10/1/10 7:04 a.m.
ditchdigger wrote: Don't be like me and ruin two cars at once. I remember thinking. I know it's not rated for it but I will be fine. Lots of horsepower and the big brake upgrades will really help.........They didn't.

That's some serious carnage. I would be interested in hearing the details of that mishap, but I fully understand if you don't care to relive it.

For the OP, it isn't a matter of "can it be done." Obviously, people have done it. The issue is whether or not you wish to assume the risk.

I don't mean to belabor the point. Sounds like you've already made the right decision.

car39
car39 Reader
10/1/10 7:33 a.m.
ditchdigger wrote: Don't be like me and ruin two cars at once. I remember thinking. I know it's not rated for it but I will be fine. Lots of horsepower and the big brake upgrades will really help.........They didn't.

Was that on 501 in South Carolina a few years ago? I got caught in traffic from something like that

Cotton
Cotton Dork
10/1/10 8:34 a.m.

Wow that looks rough. I'd also like to hear details if you're okay with sharing. What ended up happening with the truck?...it's a real cool looking rig.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
10/1/10 8:40 a.m.
The_Pirate wrote:
mad_machine wrote: Those guys do not mess around. I got stopped for a "spot inspection" once by them (jersey plates on a box truck) and to their disappointment, I was deadheading back to Jersey with nothing more than a layer of dust in the box
Yep, I worked for a contractor a few years back, and was driving home from a job in a Ford E-350 V10 with a 24 foot Haulmark cargo trailer. Got pulled over (same thing as you, "spot inspection"), those guys are intense. They referred to me as "driver" the whole time. "Driver, step out of the vehicle." "Driver, give me the keys to the trailer." They had portable scales which they used. The guy I worked for was a stand up guy, and everything was in order (insurance, registration, weight, brakes, etc.), so they sent me on my way, but I'm sure they would have impounded the rig and trailer and given me a ride to their office if they could have.

I know they are allowed to weight it - but "Driver, give me the keys to the trailer." sounds a lot like illegal search and something I would respond to with a polite "Sorry, but you have no business in there without a warrant".

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
10/1/10 8:42 a.m.

Ditchdigger... that was a sweet looking VW PU. Did you fix it?

ditchdigger
ditchdigger HalfDork
10/1/10 9:32 a.m.

That truck was totally gone after that. the front end was pushed 8 inches over and the rear went 4 in the opposite direction. It protected me well as we spun 5 or 6 times bouncing off the K rails on both sides of the bridge.

Long story short. The rabbit I was towing broke a rear shock. The undamped movement created an oscillation that made the car quickly start to wag back and forth at 55mph. It went hard to the left, hit a k rail and one side of tow bar broke. Then it went the other way and did the cop "pit maneuver" into the drivers side rear of the truck. When the dust settled I was a bit shocked to see the underside of the car being towed out the passenger window. This was in Portland Oregon 3 years ago on labor day so traffic was thankfully light and no one got tangled up with me.

Wally
Wally SuperDork
10/1/10 9:44 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I know they are allowed to weight it - but "Driver, give me the keys to the trailer." sounds a lot like illegal search and something I would respond to with a polite "Sorry, but you have no business in there without a warrant".

Anyone else they would need a warrant for but at truck inspections they are doing vital work to ensure the public's safety.

Opus
Opus Dork
10/1/10 11:21 a.m.

I almost spun towing a Ford Contour on a dolly with a standard cab Nissan Hardbody PU. Truck could physically tow the car, the issue was the wheelbase was too short and had no weight over the rear wheels.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
10/1/10 12:17 p.m.

it's always fun when the tail starts to wag the dog

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nUyoL3LY0rsiwh6n9twuT6bOyiHnohhpiUSSSYUZrP7QjSbNILSki3OZ3RKdUpWR