1 2
oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
5/16/14 10:59 p.m.

In reply to nicksta43:

by all means... bad mouth them... although the rod was more likely the fault of either P.O., or previous repair, and not serious design flaw.

I have owned a 1968 ram air III GTO... it was very cool... and driving down to the Jersey Shore down the Parkway was a blast.... but even with pretty decent rubber(G60 out back and F70 up front) it handled like a BIG car.... A friend down the street from me had a 1972 Corvette... nice car... but everything was vacuum driven and it failed often... also replacing something in the driveline (35 years ago so I've forgotten what exactly) was a MASSIVE PITA...

I'm the youngest of three...

the middle brother had a 65 Riv... WONDERFUL car actually... just a wee bit big. While my oldest brother had both a 64 and a 65 GTO... The 64 was AWESOME... 421 SD with 2 "small" 4 bbls... but come on... the ability to hit 120 in under 12 seconds and drum brakes

So... with that said....

I'll take a 1970 Z28 Camaro, but built with either WS6 Trans Am suspension/brake bits, or modern resto-mod stuff. Along with a complete rewire... and a nice LS, and 6 speed swap.

b13990
b13990 New Reader
5/16/14 11:30 p.m.

Mine ranked from top to bottom:

'86 Century "Iron Duke"

'98 Seville

'11 Equinox LT

'93 LeSabre

'77 Cutlass S

'87 "Chevy" "Nova" (Toyota 4A motor made the "Iron Duke" seem like a big block in comparisen)

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
5/17/14 1:53 a.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: In reply to nicksta43: by all means... bad mouth them... although the rod was more likely the fault of either P.O., or previous repair, and not serious design flaw.

P.O. was my mother in law. Bought it new. Maintained on schedule with no issues outside of basic maintenance. It was an anomaly for sure.

dj06482
dj06482 Dork
5/17/14 6:04 a.m.

I'll play over the last few years:

• Buick GNX
  • C6 Z06
  • '88-98 C/K trucks
  • Pontiac GTO
  • Cadillac CTS-V (first gen)
  • 2014 Impala
  • G8 GXP / SS
  • any Suburban/Escalade/Denali
  • Impala SS
  • HD trucks
Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
5/17/14 8:11 a.m.

Banned Words at GM: http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2014/may/16/gm-recall-investigation-reveals-banned-words/

Don't say this at GM:
"Kevorkianesque"
"Corvair-like"
"apocalyptic,"
"grisly"
"rolling sarcophagus"
"unbelievable engineering screw-up"
"potentially disfiguring"

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
5/19/14 9:59 a.m.

1988 Fiero V6 - finally got the sports car thing right and then killed it

Solstice GXP and Saturn Red Line - highest specific output of any GM engine ever produced and in a sports car chassis that actually was well thought out and worked.

Distant 3rd - various Corvettes

Anything but sports cars not something I care enough about to rate, although I've used a few of them as tow cars over the years. Nothing about them put them above other makes like Chrysler for that purpose.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
5/19/14 2:29 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: CTS-V. Take an Impala SS, give it twice as much power, better handling bigger brakes and a manual trans. Don't like it? You're a communist Bob Costas. Period. It's a slice of American pie served up by a hot bikini clad waitress wearing a 1911 on her hip and a tattoo of the american flag on her right boob.

Quote worthy indeed . . .

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
5/19/14 3:14 p.m.
Strike_Zero wrote:
Bobzilla wrote: CTS-V. Take an Impala SS, give it twice as much power, better handling bigger brakes and a manual trans. Don't like it? You're a communist Bob Costas. Period. It's a slice of American pie served up by a hot bikini clad waitress wearing a 1911 on her hip and a tattoo of the american flag on her right boob.
Quote worthy indeed . . .

I hoped someone would appreciate that.

gofastbobby
gofastbobby Reader
5/19/14 3:30 p.m.

I don't know the Aztec has to make someone's list.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
5/19/14 3:50 p.m.

There's too many to list for me, but here's a few:

-1973 Pontiac Trans Am SD455

Why? Because it's the ultimate 2nd gen Trans Am and the last gasp of original muscle from Detroit. And the 73's introduced the Screaming Chicken.

-1969 Pontiac GTO Judge

Why? Because it's the best looking GTO ever made. And hideaway headlights. And you could get it with the Ram Air IV engine, which is insane.

-1966 Olds 442 W30

Why? Because it's an unsung muscle car. These things had triple carbs and 4-speeds, and were downright nasty on the street and the drag strip.

-1963 Pontiac Catalina 421 Super Duty

Why? Because it's big, stupid, and powerful. These behemoths ran low 12's back then right off the assembly line!

-Pretty much any Chevy El Camino or GMC Sprint/Caballero, especially turd brown ones

Why? Because they are a car AND a truck, and brown is just the right color. It has to be brown.

-1965 Buick Skylark GS

Why? Because they went fast with class, and they were better looking than the rest of the 1965 A-bodies (except the GTO). And I used to have a '64, so there.

-2000 Trans Am WS6

Why? Because it's the ultimate version of the 3rd/4th generation F-Body. They already come with the LS1/T56 you were going to swap into something else.

-1987 Buick GNX

Why? Because Turbo Regals rule, and this is the ultimate Turbo Regal. Whistly turbo burnouts are the best burnouts.

-The C5 Z06

Why? Because the C5 Z06 was a bargain supercar. They rule and I want one BAD.

-1970 Chevy C10

Why? Because just look at the thing. Whether it's a show truck or weekend hauler, they look great and are cheap to run and repair. Probably the most beautiful truck ever made.

curtis73
curtis73 UberDork
5/19/14 5:59 p.m.

73-87 full size trucks/burbs
66-67 A-body cars
59-75 B and D body cars
C5
70-74 Boattail Rivieras
X-bodies (the Nova ones, not the Citation ones)

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
5/19/14 6:16 p.m.
b13990 wrote: Mine ranked from top to bottom: '86 Century "Iron Duke" '98 Seville '11 Equinox LT '93 LeSabre '77 Cutlass S ... '87 "Chevy" "Nova" (Toyota 4A motor made the "Iron Duke" seem like a big block in comparisen)

I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be the best GM cars.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qaff6WsFmZtq6ulwChvnvVRLcIvVkS8tjuab8GU5WvfNB4uvS4cL8IpVr6CNEyQk