Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
12/13/17 6:40 p.m.

I am trying to figure out what my options are on the budget end of racing seats so I can gain a little clearance on the NB1 HPDE build. Safety is a priority but car will remain driven to the track for now so I cannot afford to run a full containment or halo seat atm.

I had some actual genuine brides that I got super cheap in my old car and they were fine even on sliders but this time I am in an NB vs NA and going hardtop.

I was liking the looks of some of the Ultrashield Rally Sport/Kirkey type stuff but they almost don't seem that much cheaper once you add in the covers etc? What say you?

Fwiw in terms of fitment it looks like measuring when I am sitting anything 17" or larger would be fine in fact I probably would not want to go more than 18" and could probably squish into something tighter (because that wasjust measured sitting under me in my office chair)

LanEvo
LanEvo HalfDork
12/13/17 7:15 p.m.

Ultrashield’s classic “Rally Sport”and newer “Spec Miata” seats are specifically designed to squeeze into tight cockpits. They also offer reasonably easy ingress/egress by race seat standards. 

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
12/13/17 7:26 p.m.

I have heard some mixed reviews about the comfort of the "spec miata" seat

Those are also like 381 to 418 per with cover.  Sparco sprints seem to be available for around 250 which seems like quite a bit less unless there is a comfort/safety other aspect I am unaware of?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
12/13/17 8:21 p.m.

I was going to post something similar at some point, but only challenge budget price point. Ive seen some appealing prices on ebay fixed back "racing " seats.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
12/13/17 8:34 p.m.
Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
12/13/17 9:29 p.m.

Pm sent woody. Edit saw you don't want to ship. 9hr drive I probably won't be doing lol

Rodan
Rodan Reader
12/14/17 12:29 a.m.

If 17" fits, the Sparco Sprints would probably be too small... they're pretty tight, especially in the shoulders.  They are about the cheapest FIA rated seat out there, though.

I managed to get Corbeau FX1 Pros in my NA, but it took some pounding and grinding on both the car and the seats.   Keith has some good notes on the install of these on his Targa Miata site.

Targa Miata seats

Getting almost any aftermarket seat low enough will require removing the rails and bolting it to the floor somehow. 

boxedfox
boxedfox New Reader
12/14/17 5:34 a.m.
Jaynen said:

I have heard some mixed reviews about the comfort of the "spec miata" seat

Those are also like 381 to 418 per with cover.  Sparco sprints seem to be available for around 250 which seems like quite a bit less unless there is a comfort/safety other aspect I am unaware of?

The Sprints are steel tube frame with a thick fabric cover. They're sweaty and uncomfortable on the street and people tend to shy away because they think tube frame seats could deform into the driver in a crash.

If money was no object it's hard to beat Bride seats for this kind of fitment (they're expensive but they will fit big drivers in the tiniest of spaces). Barring that, my vote is for a used aluminum seat with narrow-ish shoulder supports. If you bolt the side mounts to the floor and lay the seat back a bit you should have no problem fitting 6'+ tall drivers into an NB. They're surprisingly comfortable if you find one with a cover.

FYI, I've had good luck shipping race seats using Greyhound Package Express. Not sure if either you or Woody live near a Greyhound terminal, but last time I shipped a halo seat to Florida it came out to about 1/4 the price of what UPS wanted to charge me.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
12/14/17 6:47 a.m.

I just posted about Greyhound in Woody's thread. I was thinking about going no slider but using the trackdog bracket. Probably not the low one since it requires removing the section from the floor plan

http://trackdogracing.com/Seat_Rails.aspx

Blaise
Blaise Reader
12/14/17 7:43 a.m.

I run the Kirkey Halo seat, 15". $550 on amazon with cover, etc.

https://www.kirkeyracing.com/product/10/71300/SEAT-ALUMINUM-15-STANDARD-20-LAYBACK-ROAD-RACE-CONTAINMENT

Everybody who's sat in my car has been blown away by how comfortable it is. I prefer it FAR over a sprint/etc. Where are you located?

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
12/14/17 11:41 a.m.

Raleigh NC, specifically Apex

I just bought Woody's but might eventually get the containment and move this one to passenger side as I do want a HALO eventually but not while the car is street driven

How is it so much cheaper on amazon with cover?

chaparral
chaparral Dork
12/14/17 11:49 a.m.

Tilletts are the smallest seats that'll fit a given driver, but they're almost $1000 new.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dDy1nHily6BKb1yg8Y8XoAwcXCfBLCG6uSO6o8IYMQqBU9ejZ1rTK3DnOFW0XXjF