eebasist Reader
8/19/17 11:20 p.m.

In reply to gumby:

As close to specs as I can see

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/skip-barber-formula-2000-ar81007.html

gumby
gumby New Reader
8/20/17 1:41 p.m.

Thanks for that! I was imagining that without aero these cars would be fairly close to a FF performance wise, but the article repeatedly calls the Barber cars F2000. Based on that, they would keep or upgrade their aero and slot into BM rather than CM. Big jump in PAX and likely an underdog against the sports racers on an autoX course.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/20/17 8:58 p.m.

In reply to eebasist:

When I went to the school (I forget what year it was) the Formula cars that we drove had no wings. The Skip Barber Formula Dodge race cars did though.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
8/21/17 8:59 a.m.

I drove the Skip Barber Dodge cars, the final year of them. They felt slower then the Mazda3 at the track and even my friends stock Honda Accord.

Steve91386
Steve91386
8/24/17 3:39 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: eebasist------ as the description stated, this is not an auction. Feel free to contact them for any questions you have about the sale. While we haven't worked with Liquid Asset Partners before, they do this for a living. I'd be amazed if this sale turned into a "disaster". If you are serious about purchasing something from the Skip Barber sale, contact them.....I'm sure they'd be happy to answer your questions: Liquid Asset Partners

For the benefit of the GRM community - that is exactly what I did.

I reached out to Liquid Asset Partners (specifically the owner) immediately following the court date. As a Skippy School and Race Series Alum I wanted a car mostly for nostalgia and an autocross toy. I also stated I would take an MX-5 off their hands while I was down there (I live 900 miles away so why not make the trip worth it).

I made a written offer on a formula car and they declined and countered at $17,000

I didn't even ask about an MX-5 after that...

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi PowerDork
8/24/17 3:43 p.m.

$17,000? An unknown formula car that doesn't really fit any series? Wow.

Steve91386
Steve91386 New Reader
8/24/17 3:46 p.m.
chandlerGTi wrote: $17,000? An unknown formula car that doesn't really fit any series? Wow.

Yes, exactly my thoughts.... and for what it's worth there are very few actual complete Formula cars in inventory (complete body work & wings). My position wasn't really that it didn't fit into a class it was the lack of spares for the car - take a look at their "parts" list - a large majority of the Formula parts numbers show an inventory of zero.

Steve91386
Steve91386 New Reader
8/24/17 4:56 p.m.
drainoil wrote:
crewperson wrote: I don't understand either. Show me some pictures and put some prices on them. How tough is that?
X2

They're asking $17,000 for a Formula car. Not sure about the MX-5s

logdog
logdog UltraDork
8/24/17 5:57 p.m.
logdog wrote: The credit card company is mailing us a check for our school fee we paid when we enrolled. So that is good. My wife looked through the legal stuff. It appears they entered a motion to sell instead of restructure on Aug 8. It sold for 830k.

The check came today. One thing I am not spending it on is 23% of a Formula car.

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
8/24/17 6:32 p.m.

Pricing may look a little better on sept 2-3

Steve91386
Steve91386 New Reader
8/25/17 12:32 p.m.
oldtin wrote: Pricing may look a little better on sept 2-3

Well don't forget there's also a 15% buyer's premium so at $17,000 it's really $19,550...

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/25/17 4:24 p.m.

Well, at least I never, ever, ever have to think about this ever again. Ever.

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
8/25/17 6:58 p.m.

It would be smarter to score a rolling chassis and put in your own drivetrain.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
8/29/17 7:57 a.m.

Has anybody inquired about the MX-5? was thinking about giving them a call today.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
8/29/17 9:23 a.m.

The sale begins today at 11am. I'd withhold judgement until we see what things are actually selling for. One high counter-offer on a particular car that we don't know the specifics of, is not enough to disregard the entire sale. Perhaps they will ask to much, perhaps they will come down on price. Perhaps there will be bargains to be had.....perhaps not.

We'll see......

stroker
stroker UltraDork
8/31/17 9:25 p.m.

So has anyone actually laid eyes on any of this stuff yet? I'm still noodling one of those formula car frames...

eebasist
eebasist Reader
8/31/17 9:49 p.m.

In reply to stroker:

I'd drive out if they would at least give me a ballpark number for some of their items. Heck, they wont even give a better description of what formula cars they have. I mean if you're expecting thousands for an item, you might want to put some pictures or at least a better description down for each

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
9/1/17 8:28 a.m.

I am waiting a week to ask about the Miata's. I would have to purchase it site unseen. Would have to be really cheap.

eebasist
eebasist Reader
9/8/17 6:38 p.m.

Anyone get anything?

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ADPHzTPvt9x5atUetrEPggH34z5lu1geDOsRqJL2wPEzMCT5ZI8LgtDUIphxbbew