2 3 4
Dave
Dave Reader
11/15/17 12:22 p.m.
Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
11/15/17 7:58 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Not sure of the class but I knew a guy that ran National Solo events in his Crossfire. Put lots of work into the car. He was a very detailed guy and may even have the data from then. Probably worth tracking him down if you plan a challenge car. 

I think due to that protest he switched to the Evo. His son has won Nationals with the Evo since then. 

My friend rallycrossed his crossfire. I drove it a bunch and just couldn't figure out how to handle the rear end it would sometimes move predictably then other times snap hard. Seemed to me to be the throttle response wasn't consistent, not sure why. Got it into a nice rotation around an autocross corner but couldn't repeat it any other run. The car would just snap out and scrub speed. Then the last run just terminal understeer.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
11/15/17 9:13 p.m.

he local craigslist is full of $10k + base model autos with lowish miles (two had salvage titles!) and a couple of higher mile units around $5k. Still seems steep for what you are getting. There was an $8k SRT-6 that looked like an alright deal. 

I agree. Considering the prices of cars that are dynamically (and objectively) superior like Boxsters, 350z/g35 etc, i think a REALLY nice Crossfire is worth maybe 6k with normal ones being worth 35-4500 and beat ones just edging into Challenge pricing territory. Not saying that's reality, that's just how i assess them based on what i know about them. 

Has anyone said yet that the main thing wrong with the Crossfire is the SLK? Because that's true. Daimler really screwed Chrysler over in a lot of ways, and this is one. If the car had been based on almost anyone else's aging small RWD platform, we'd probably all like it a lot more.  As a styling exercise i think it was good for the time (on the outside, anyway). I find it more attractive than a 350z and about on par in visual appeal to an s2000, both contemporary small rwd sport coupes.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
11/15/17 9:34 p.m.

I've been noticing these things all over the place since this thread started. I saw two on the way home from work today.

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3QaD9H5bcqpxUxltXh8uLrDHDZgpKV5guZOlCHNvfrW3jTMHoLXfKHVMYPO8Y9bO