1 2 3 4
Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
4/21/17 8:43 a.m.

"There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche," is a damned lie.

A cheap boat is WAAAAAY more expensive than a cheap Porsche. If someone offered you a 911 for $5000 explaining that it had "been in a couple minor accidents" and that it "had a few engine issues", how quickly would you run away?

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
4/21/17 12:24 p.m.

I will be the lone dissenter. You should buy it and fix it. It will teach the rest of us some very useful lessons. Heck the US Navy fixes sunk boats .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCxjgZ1IOa8

Raising Battleships at Pearl Harbor

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
4/21/17 1:24 p.m.

I'm enjoying my old boat, but it's not nearly 28 feet long. And as far as I know, it's never been sunk. As long as you get the advice of a trusted expert and go into it with your eyes open, I'd say "go for it." What's the worst that could go wrong?

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
4/21/17 1:33 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: best advice, dig a hole to fit it up to the waterline, strip it of anything not kid friendly, and make it into an awesome playhouse for the littles

Or market it along similar lines to those tiny house weirdos.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
4/21/17 3:13 p.m.

I think in one of their episodes, Black Dog Salvage cut the bow and stern off a wooden cabin cruiser and sold them for decorations.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
4/21/17 11:06 p.m.

don't get me wrong.. some boats are worth it.. but you need to find the right boat. It needs to be in demand or have a cult like following and be available only in small numbers.

A Bayliner fits neither of those catagories

Recon1342
Recon1342 New Reader
4/22/17 1:47 a.m.

I used to fix boats for a living. Many folks don't realize that boat is actually an acronym.

It stands for "Break out another thousand"

A perfect example is a fishing boat I once repaired. Older Fibreform, in good shape, having engine troubles with the v-6 Evinrude on the back. By the time I finished going through his ignition system, I had replaced the stator, all three coils, most of the wiring, to include plug wires, etc., and he had a bill of nearly $1200... all on a boat worth $1500 at most.

The cost-benefit curve on old boats that aren't collectible is usually upside down...

jstand
jstand HalfDork
4/22/17 6:42 a.m.

Did I miss what the brand, model, and other details were given?

I keep seeing bayliner in the replies, but didn't see it in any of the OPs posts.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/22/17 6:54 a.m.

No idea what it is, probably won't ask.

Dan

jstand
jstand HalfDork
4/22/17 7:12 a.m.

I was just thinking, if it was a twin engine setup there might be a counter rotating V8.

If salvageable that could make for some unusual/creative rear engine drivetraing options. Probably not long living options since the trans and diff would be spinning backwards, but entertaining for a short time.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
4/22/17 8:10 a.m.
914Driver wrote: No idea what it is, probably won't ask. Dan

Please ask and get some photos. We're all looking for some good humor.

The reality is the description you have given so far is too vague. It is similar to saying your aunt has a car in garage she no longer drives.

Could turn out to be a Ford Tempo or could be a '64 Mustang.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
4/22/17 8:27 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

But has said car been sunk twice?

OTOH, one of my brother's friends aunt had an MG-TF in the carport.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
4/22/17 4:48 p.m.

I'd like to see pics too. I'm hoping for a Miami Vice style powerboat!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
4/24/17 9:55 a.m.

Sounds like a part-out.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
4/24/17 10:15 a.m.
914Driver wrote: Tough crowd. If it was here for ~$7k, can you make money on it?

No.

In case you had noticed. "Flooded" cars get written off by the insurance company because nobody wants them and they cant be economically or reliably fixed.

"Flooded" and "Sunk" have a lot in common.

The value of a derelict cruiser is pretty much limited to what you can get for the stern drives if they are in working order and that depends on what brand and model they are.

The trailer wont be hard to sell if it is in good shape.

The engines in good shape could be worth some money, but picture getting them out without a gantry.

Curious....Fresh or salt water boat?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/24/17 2:26 p.m.

Salt of Long Island Sound.

He bought a 40 footer and already sheared off the lower unit of it. I'm glad he doesn't fly.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/24/17 2:44 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Salt of Long Island Sound. He bought a 40 footer and already sheared off the lower unit of it. I'm glad he doesn't fly.

If it went down in salt water twice, it's junk for sure.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/24/17 4:08 p.m.

It belongs to my son's father in law, right now Ian's cape is straight out trying to buy a house; one day he will send information and pictures.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
4/24/17 5:37 p.m.
914Driver wrote: He bought a 40 footer and already sheared off the lower unit of it.

How do people that stupid end up with that much money?

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
4/24/17 5:51 p.m.

In reply to BrokenYugo:

Growing up on Long Island I've seen that there are no shortage of people who fancy themselves boaters that have no business on the water.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' Dork
4/24/17 6:22 p.m.
BrokenYugo wrote:
914Driver wrote: He bought a 40 footer and already sheared off the lower unit of it.
How do people that stupid end up with that much money?

I wouldn’t characterize someone as stupid solely because they can’t drive a boat…I suspect that we’re actually just witnessing an example of confusing what you can afford with what you can handle.

It’s like how Beechcraft Bonanza’s have received the unflattering nick name of doctor killer. I imagine that doctors, as a whole, make good pilots (must be smart, disciplined, able to handle complex / critical situations) and I doubt that Bonanza’s are more problematic than other high performance aircraft.

The reputation developed simply because Bonanza’s are one of the coolest planes you can fly without upgrading to multiengine or turbine certifications and doctors are among the few groups that are affluent enough to be able to afford them.

Put the two together and you’ve got a steady stream of headlines reading “Doctor Blows Brains Out in Bonanza”.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
4/24/17 6:37 p.m.

In reply to RX Reven':

That's all true, but in this case we have somebody who ran one boat into the dirt (possibly in the literal sense) sinking/flooding it twice, and then went and bought a bigger one and proceeded to wreck it immediately. That's where the stupid comes into play, not learning from past mistakes.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' Dork
4/24/17 6:50 p.m.
BrokenYugo wrote: In reply to RX Reven': That's all true, but in this case we have somebody who ran one boat into the dirt (possibly in the literal sense) sinking/flooding it twice, and then went and bought a bigger one and proceeded to wreck it immediately. That's where the stupid comes into play, not learning from past mistakes.

Good point.

I still think it’d be pretty fun to hang out with the guy though…you know, just holding his beer and waiting for him to say the two words most commonly uttered by pilots just before they roll it up in a ball…”watch this”.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/24/17 6:52 p.m.

In reply to BrokenYugo:

I will say, as a boater for well over 40 years, I still run into the dirt on occasion. I've never broken one doing it, but it does happen.

I stuck the Jet Boat once and damn near threw my eldest son over the bow. It only draws about 5" on plane.

It's not stupidity that breaks boats, it's usually ignorance. They just don't know any better. Then comes the arrogance that won't let them ask for advice or learn what they are doing wrong. That's what destroys boat number 2.

Want a fun afternoon laughing at people. Show up to any boat ramp on a Saturday morning and watch people try to get a boat into or out of the water. It's hilarious.

bluej
bluej UltraDork
4/24/17 7:19 p.m.
Wall-e wrote: In reply to BrokenYugo: Growing up on Long Island I've seen that there are no shortage of people who fancy themselves boaters that have no business on the water.

I just realized your perfect retirement plan. Move to Sydney and drive one of the fast ferry public transport boats. They use the same metro cards as the rest of their public transport. Those things HAUL for what they are, and are handled with some serious skill. Reminds me of certain oversized road public transport options in NYC :)

The one in the front:

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ThUA4CbrLuir9fKULTsmVF6FRpoWzkl3heOqSEYG4234SZRpKf0NyHkeaDoGvxaG