photo 649EB230-CB3E-410C-92BE-D6E4EBCB384F_zpssricbd37.jpg

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi PowerDork
4/23/17 6:02 p.m.

photo 0B71F6CB-D8A0-4AB8-BC95-ED8B8BB0A5ED_zpsng9aqdue.jpg

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/23/17 10:15 p.m.

Just finished reading Robert Ballard's book on returning to Guadalcanal.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
4/23/17 11:42 p.m.

SAVAGE Dave!!!

Donebrokeit wrote:
Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
4/24/17 10:12 a.m.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/24/17 10:36 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: Just finished reading Robert Ballard's book on returning to Guadalcanal.

OK, weird, random information:

I just looked up one of the ships on the map because I thought is sounded familiar, the USS Laffey. According to Wikipedia, that ship was never sunk. It's currently sitting at Patriots Point in Charleston South Carolina!

Interesting history BTW:

Laffey survived despite being badly damaged by four bombs, six kamikaze crashes, and strafing fire that killed 32 and wounded 71. Assistant communications officer Lt. Frank Manson asked Captain Becton if he thought they'd have to abandon ship, to which he snapped, "No! I'll never abandon ship as long as a single gun will fire." Becton did not hear a nearby lookout softly say, "And if I can find one man to fire it."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Laffey_(DD-724)

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/24/17 10:55 a.m.
aircooled wrote:
Appleseed wrote: Just finished reading Robert Ballard's book on returning to Guadalcanal.
OK, weird, random information: I just looked up one of the ships on the map because I thought is sounded familiar, the USS Laffey. According to Wikipedia, that ship was never sunk. It's currently sitting at Patriots Point in Charleston South Carolina! Interesting history BTW:
Laffey survived despite being badly damaged by four bombs, six kamikaze crashes, and strafing fire that killed 32 and wounded 71. Assistant communications officer Lt. Frank Manson asked Captain Becton if he thought they'd have to abandon ship, to which he snapped, "No! I'll never abandon ship as long as a single gun will fire." Becton did not hear a nearby lookout softly say, "And if I can find one man to fire it."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Laffey_(DD-724)

I really was, though. My two oldest and I slept on the carrier overnight as a homeschool field trip. We got to tour the Laffey. It indeed did not sink, and indeed is a tough SOB, they have some incredible video of the action that you can watch from inside one of the gun turrets, and it's fairly incredible, the kamikaze just crashes right into the turret that you're sitting in. Amazing boat, it really took a pounding and still made it. Highly recommended.

ThunderCougarFalconGoat
ThunderCougarFalconGoat HalfDork
4/24/17 11:34 a.m.

In reply to tuna55 and aircooled:

Wrong USS Laffey. The first Laffey was sunk at Guadalcanal. The one at Patriots Point was named in honor of that ship and did indeed survive the war.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
4/24/17 2:01 p.m.

I checked the map, but where's the Kobeyashi Maru?

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
4/24/17 2:31 p.m.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
4/24/17 2:32 p.m.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
4/24/17 2:32 p.m.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
4/24/17 2:33 p.m.

java230
java230 SuperDork
4/24/17 2:34 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy:

That thing is bad ass. Ran into the dues who built it, seemed like nice guys.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/24/17 2:43 p.m.
ThunderCougarFalconGoat wrote: In reply to tuna55 and aircooled: Wrong USS Laffey. The first Laffey was sunk at Guadalcanal. The one at Patriots Point was named in honor of that ship and did indeed survive the war.

Oops!

The Laffey I saw was still pretty amazing.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
4/24/17 3:06 p.m.
ThunderCougarFalconGoat wrote: In reply to tuna55 and aircooled: Wrong USS Laffey. The first Laffey was sunk at Guadalcanal. The one at Patriots Point was named in honor of that ship and did indeed survive the war.

The first USS Laffey was a bad ass

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
4/24/17 4:58 p.m.

photo DSCN5806_zpsvanijinf.jpg

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
4/24/17 4:59 p.m.

photo DSCN5870_zpsnjya4ove.jpg

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
4/24/17 5:02 p.m.
Wall-e wrote:

I just lost my 1/4" drive 10mm in a customer's car because I couldn't find it in the 5 minutes I had before they had to pick it up, so I'm getting a kick out of this post.

Wasn't even worn out.

logdog
logdog SuperDork
4/24/17 5:51 p.m.
Knurled wrote: I just lost my 1/4" drive 10mm in a customer's car because I couldn't find it in the 5 minutes I had before they had to pick it up, so I'm getting a kick out of this post. Wasn't even worn out.

Start watching the Minor Win thread for somebody excited over their newfound socket

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
4/24/17 7:52 p.m.

First 4 listings of used and certified vehicles on Autotrader sorted by price.

4 is a Hennessey Venom.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
4/24/17 7:55 p.m.

stroker
stroker SuperDork
4/24/17 8:14 p.m.

In reply to slantvaliant:

Now we're talkin' lug nuts...

Gratuitous hotlink:

RevRico
RevRico SuperDork
4/24/17 8:39 p.m.

In reply to FlightService:

It's like 20 minutes from me, on a used lot full of bargain basement cars. Well, inside, but it makes absolutely no sense looking at their inventory. Been well over a year it's been for sale.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8payvzuueATbt98c5T15RyymQVCtrGPYkVc8md5dUnNDvWyABLjdsP8DWFavU5xH