FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
11/1/17 8:53 a.m.
Duke said:

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
11/1/17 8:58 a.m.

GM Streetcar Conspiracy
Before World War II, many large American cities had built a system of streetcars to help with the mass transit needs of their citizens. General Motors (along with Firestone Tires, Philips Petroleum, and Standard Oil Company) secretly bought streetcar operations in over 45 cities over a period of fourteen years. The systems were shut down and converted to bus routes, which caused the public to become more reliant on owning an automobile – a vested interest of each of the involved companies. The companies were found guilty in a 1949 trial and again in a 1951 appeal, but the damage had already been done. America was to become a nation of automobile owners and drivers.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
11/1/17 8:59 a.m.

1966 Electrovan: World’s First Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicle
Long before the Volt and the EV1, General Motors was working on alternative fuel vehicles. In 1966, GM produced the “Electrovan,” the world’s first hydrogen fuel-cell vehicle. It took a team of 250 people two years to convert the modified GM Handivan into a working prototype. The van never made it to production due to a lack of infrastructure to support for Hydrogen vehicles.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
11/1/17 8:59 a.m.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
11/2/17 1:09 a.m.

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
11/2/17 8:40 a.m.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/2/17 9:09 a.m.
Daylan C said:

My friend's father had one just like that, in orange.  3 on the tree.  He also had one of these, in pale blue with woodgrain, but otherwise just like this - it also had a 3 on the tree:

Indy-Cougar-Guy
Indy-Cougar-Guy SuperDork
11/2/17 9:23 a.m.
Duke said:  He also had one of these, in pale blue with woodgrain, but otherwise just like this - it also had a 3 on the tree:

Want.  In exactly that boring green.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/2/17 10:30 a.m.
Indy-Cougar-Guy said:
Duke said:  He also had one of these, in pale blue with woodgrain, but otherwise just like this - it also had a 3 on the tree:

Want.  In exactly that boring green.

You're in luck, because every GM car made in 1969 or 1970 was either that color, or the light green version:

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/2/17 10:48 a.m.
Indy-Cougar-MellonBall-(Tyler Durden)-Guy said:

Looks like I have a paint job idea for the XJR. I may have to find a version with BRG because Jaguar. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/3/17 8:36 a.m.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
11/3/17 9:13 a.m.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
11/3/17 4:48 p.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/4/17 7:27 a.m.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
11/4/17 9:33 a.m.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
11/4/17 9:34 a.m.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
11/4/17 9:34 a.m.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
11/4/17 9:35 a.m.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
11/4/17 9:36 a.m.

Boy, I never knew that Citroen built 6-wheeled diesel CXs that hauled newspapers overnight at speeds of 100+mph. I need one.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/4/17 9:41 a.m.
FlightService said:

GM Streetcar Conspiracy
Before World War II, many large American cities had built a system of streetcars to help with the mass transit needs of their citizens. General Motors (along with Firestone Tires, Philips Petroleum, and Standard Oil Company) secretly bought streetcar operations in over 45 cities over a period of fourteen years. The systems were shut down and converted to bus routes, which caused the public to become more reliant on owning an automobile – a vested interest of each of the involved companies. The companies were found guilty in a 1949 trial and again in a 1951 appeal, but the damage had already been done. America was to become a nation of automobile owners and drivers.

Tell me again the story of why privatizing public systems is good.  I like a good horror story.

Apple Cougar Mellonseed
Apple Cougar Mellonseed MegaDork
11/4/17 10:08 a.m.
Knurled. said:
FlightService said:

GM Streetcar Conspiracy

Tell me again the story of why privatizing public systems is good.  I like a good horror story.

They're thinking about privatizing air traffic control. As a pilot...no.  Just no.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tX8e6xfnR5HZNsMi96CQ8iZ4s4tX8zyC5sqUfgZgiiqfpRQObWkRTmJly4Z4iAti