mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/7/17 12:15 p.m.

Regardless of your opinion of Bud/Bud Light/InBev/AB, you have to admit that through the years they've had some phenomenal marketing--Spuds MacKenzi, the frogs, the lizard, Whassupp???... They've had some good ones, and we're not even mentioning the Clydesdales.

Their current campaign is Dilly Dilly! While I don't like that it makes fun of craft brews, especially since they own most of them, I have to put that aside and note that it is a pretty good commercial and it makes me laugh. But the best part of Dilly Dilly wasn't even a commercial. It was a cease and desist letter! A craft brewery named a beer Dilly Dilly--poking the big bear obviously, and intentionally--and InBev responded in the best possible way: 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-modist-bud-light-dilly-dilly-20171204-story.html

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
12/7/17 12:24 p.m.
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
12/7/17 12:42 p.m.

They're merged into one company now BTW, so it's AB-InBev. At least until Amazon buys all the other megacorps and renames itself Buy N Large.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
12/7/17 12:45 p.m.
mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/7/17 1:13 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

They're merged into one company now BTW, so it's AB-InBev. At least until Amazon buys all the other megacorps and renames itself Buy N Large.

I'm aware. My parents were able to retire about two years early due to that merger.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UberDork
12/7/17 1:28 p.m.
mtn said:

While I don't like that it makes fun of craft brews,

I actually rather like them making fun of the whole craft brew scene, and I say that as someone who does enjoy craft brews, and has never liked Budweiser in any form.  Some of those folks take themselves way too seriously.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/7/17 1:32 p.m.
Tom_Spangler said:
mtn said:

I actually rather like them making fun of the whole craft brew scene, and I say that as someone who does enjoy craft brews, and has never liked Budweiser in any form.  Some of those folks take themselves way too seriously.

Didn't think of it quite like that. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
12/7/17 1:38 p.m.

Dilly Dilly is good,

but I also like the ad with Danny Trejo as the bartender with the millennial ordering the "micro brew, a no nano brew..."

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/7/17 1:46 p.m.
Tom_Spangler said:
mtn said:

Agreed...lotta beer out there trying to become wine. When you cut past all the nuances, it's all yeast piss!

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
12/7/17 2:13 p.m.

laugh

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/7/17 2:20 p.m.
Tom_Spangler said:
mtn said:

"Dilly Dilly!"

Beer Baron needs to chime in. Ought to be entertaining. laugh

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
12/7/17 2:33 p.m.

I guess I don't watch enough TV since I have no idea what Dilly Dilly commercials are. Guess I need to watch the thing, so I don't miss out.

Oh, I've seen those on TV after all. Not sure what they mean or what it has to do with beer. If the frogs or Wasssuuup are a 10, I give dilly dilly a 2.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
12/7/17 4:15 p.m.

How many years later am I still doing waassssup?    My wife hates it.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/7/17 4:31 p.m.

I was doing wireless service development when one of the US carriers didn't have the ability to send texts phone to phone. I put something together for a demo and forgot about it. Months later, I found the demo was still running on my pet server so I shut it down - and got a panicked phone call from someone at the carrier who was heading into some sort of pitch meeting.

Out of curiosity, I checked the logs. Looks like a bunch of pinstripe bros had taken the demo as their personal toy. Half of the messages were waaaasssssup? and the other half were basically sexual harassment.

That is all.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/7/17 5:48 p.m.
NOHOME said:
Tom_Spangler said:
mtn said:

Agreed...lotta beer out there trying to become wine. When you cut past all the nuances, it's all yeast piss!

As a dear friend in the business(purveyor of spirits-high endliqourstore) ,when encountering wine snobery bordering on foolishness. would proclaim......'you understand that it's nothing but berkin' fermented grape juice'..... 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eC9yP2Mf7Hfvu0KvBMBySTikGiCgH5Pzy3JGIOouHAUWDjIXePlPasX1Q0k6LdXa