1 2
Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
10/16/17 8:22 a.m.

Looking for recommendations on safety glasses. Anyone have brands or styles of safety glasses they're particularly fond of?

Especially interested in ones that won't fog up when there's steam.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/16/17 8:36 a.m.

I get these 3M ones in bulk. Like tape measures, you can never find glasses when you need them so I flooded the shop with them. 3M means I can trust them more than a no-name brand and they're optically quite good. I figure they're intended to be disposable as the lenses get banged up anyhow. I keep forgetting I have them on, that says a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JIN72U6/

Haven't tried them with steam specifically, I'm more into the "flying metal shards" kind of hazard. The writeup does claim anti-fog coating.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/16/17 9:03 a.m.

I like this style, light, scratch resistant AND you can get reading glasses in the bottom! (find myself relying more and more on this factor)

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
10/16/17 9:13 a.m.

Safety glasses are the most frustrating thing I have to deal with in my life. I'm the type of person that cannot stand when there is something on the lens. It's so distracting and I can't focus on anything which leads to headaches. Those disposable ones scratch just looking at them. I've went through five pairs a day. I haven't found any that won't fog just from wearing them and sweating. Good luck with steam. They are all terrible in my experience. My last pair that I bought was expensive and lasted about a week before they scratched. 

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
10/16/17 9:13 a.m.

On Keith's advice, I ordered that pack of 3m safety glasses. I like them a lot and having new pairs around a lot is really helpful. No more "this is the good pair, that pair is scratched up so I should only wear it for x." They do fog up against my face some times but every pair I've tried does except for the ones that are so spaced out from your face that stuff finds its way into your eyes anyway. (Apparently I'm a hot head.)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/16/17 9:19 a.m.

I hang mine on a hook between jobs and have them on the top of my head when I'm not using them during a job. Having them hanging from a specific location means 1) I always know where they are and 2) the lenses aren't in contact with anything so they're not getting scratched. They last a really long time.

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls PowerDork
10/16/17 9:47 a.m.

I buy 10 packs of the "Starlite" glasses that 914 posted. At $1.75 a pair I sprinkle them around the shop like Johnny frickin' Appleseed.  I won't use them if I have to go find them so if there are always a few pair by the mill or lathe or bandsaw I am more likely to put them on.

A few months back I found myself in the restroom looking in the mirror holding a rare earth magnet against my left eye pulling out a steel chip and I thought about how much I loved my job and how much it would suck if it were to be negatively impacted by workers comp claims. I now have safety glasses at least on top of my head at all times. That way I can pull them down when needed.

My personal preference is that Safety glasses should be all clear. I can't stand the outline of the frames in my field of vision. 

Also

This style is terrible. That bevel all the way around the lens refracts... err.... reflects... umm... whatever it does it dazzles me as I turn my head or walk under different lighting sources. Very disorienting. 

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
10/16/17 10:53 a.m.

3M is the staple for industrial work.

UVex makes antifog ones which actually work pretty well.

Wiley and Revision when I work outside.

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UberDork
10/16/17 11:24 a.m.

I love my Mini Ztek glasses.  Designed for narrower faces, but I have had friends borrow them with no fitment issues.  Fit snugly to the face for minimal entry points.   Never had fogging issues, but I haven't used them in steamy conditions either.

I use them for shooting, working in the garage, at the shop, and keep a pair in my camelbak for mountain biking.

https://www.amazon.com/Pyramex-Safety-Eyewear-Clear-Frame/dp/B000NP5D3G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508170927&sr=8-1&keywords=mini+ztek+safety+glasses

Johnboyjjb
Johnboyjjb Reader
10/16/17 12:11 p.m.

I really like the S&W Tactical glasses I bought. I buy Z87 safety glasses for sunglasses as they can be dropped without breaking. The fact the come with a yellow and clear lens is just a bonus.

The clear ones 914Driver posted are the ones that are freely supplied by my large industrial employer.

Kramer
Kramer Dork
10/16/17 12:16 p.m.

Nemesis by Kimberly Clark are good. 

Keep trying until you find one you like.  The best PPE is the one you'll use.  If it's uncomfortable, or difficult to use, you won't use it all the time.  

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
10/16/17 12:31 p.m.

I wear prescription safety glasses in the shops at work.  We added that as an option to improve compliance with safety rules, and it has helped with some of the older guys.  I hate wearing two layers of eyeglasses.

We try to keep both plain, clear glasses, some with reading lenses, and some to fit over prescription glasses.  There's some waste, but we never turn down a request for new glasses.

We also put a pegboard by the door where most of the shop employees come and go, right by the terminal where they clock in and out.  Each employee has a peg just for safety glasses.  Glasses on, clock in. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
10/16/17 12:43 p.m.

Kramer nailed it. At home, I typically use glasses that I get at work. Glasses and foam earplugs are sorta like free candy at any industrial place. 

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
10/16/17 4:42 p.m.

The Lincoln Electric brand glasses at  the Home Depot welding department are the best that I have ever worn. I often forget that they are on my face. I have gotten home from work 3-4 hours after leaving and realized that I am still wearing them

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
10/16/17 7:11 p.m.

My personal favorite after all these years of either selling stuff for plant safety or working in plants is Edge. They aren't throwaway cheap, but the lenses hold up quite well and the frames are indestructible. E+S safety rating on every pair I've had and they just fit. 

I love my newest pair that are half frames with changeable lenses, yellow, polarized shade, & an antireflective clear. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
10/16/17 8:12 p.m.

I've used Uvex for years. I like that they can change the shades on them and they are comfortable. They just seemed to fit my head the best. 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
10/16/17 8:26 p.m.

Somehow, I suspect that there is not going to be any style I can buy that won't fog up when blowing down the boiler or leaning over a kettle to throw hops in. I can deal with that.

jstand
jstand Dork
10/16/17 9:38 p.m.

I can’t stand wearing two pairs so I have a pair of these with prescription lenses:

the RX is one or two behind my current one, but close enough to still see without causing a headache. 

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/16/17 9:42 p.m.

Thanks for this thread. I need more glasses and more ear plugs. 

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
10/16/17 9:56 p.m.

after having gotten a small piece of metal in my eye that required minor surgery to remove, I will always take goggles over glasses. The fact that I am usually grinding 'glass or epoxy is just a big plus towards goggles

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
10/16/17 10:50 p.m.

I wear my everyday glasses.

I've tried many brands and haven't found a set that I can see out of when worn over my normal glasses.

If I'm doing something particularly awful, I wear a face shield.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
10/17/17 11:29 a.m.
Trans_Maro said:

I wear my everyday glasses.

I've tried many brands and haven't found a set that I can see out of when worn over my normal glasses.

If I'm doing something particularly awful, I wear a face shield.

That is what I do but I think a set of perscritpion safety glasses are in my near future.

nguyenvanbac
nguyenvanbac New Spammer
12/20/19 2:51 a.m.

I think this pair of safety glasses can help you, please have a look!

[canoe removed]

BrianWansle
BrianWansle New Spammer
1/4/20 6:55 p.m.

[These canoes] from Dewalt gladly provide you with up to 99.9% UVA/UVB protection. They can help you.

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) MegaDork
9/20/20 9:56 p.m.

Canoe?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jmsCz4PtLgXInPHassRsEt9y6wN47iEaueV31Ri8sYrYXPzyspiDSS2htttfftsP