1 2 3
Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/5/16 1:31 p.m.

This morning (July 5th) at 4am my neighbor's friend was still lighting off fireworks. Eventually they yelled at him.....he yelled back and a full-on fistfight broke out--- complete with a woman screaming bloody murder. I heard one of them say he was going for a shotgun---- that's when I called 911. Credit to the cops--- they were there in force in about 4 minutes. 3 cruisers and the paramedics arrived, and treated one of the kids who got beat up pretty good. The instigator spent the night in jail I believe. He deserved worse.

Earlier that night I had gone for a motorcycle ride while the fireworks went off. My dog was not pleased by the world ending, and me not being there to protect him. To retaliate, he decided to eat my Martin DX-1 guitar.

So yeah......didn't get much sleep last night!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/5/16 1:34 p.m.

I saw the pics and then started to read the story, jumping to a quick assumption that Joe went full on Honky Tonk Man on one of his neighbors.

Furious_E
Furious_E HalfDork
7/5/16 1:35 p.m.

We did ours Saturday the 2nd. Friends and I do a July 4th party every year and as the resident pyromaniac of the group I always end up in charge of procuring and setting off the fireworks. Always go to West Virginia to get the good stuff and I think the mortars we had this year were of particularly high quality. All digits are still intact and the dog didnt even mind the noise, so I'd say this year's festivities were a success.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/5/16 1:50 p.m.

I hate fireworks.

Can't wait to have a dog. Then I can just tell people "Sorry, gotta stay with rover".

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/5/16 2:16 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: I saw the pics and then started to read the story, jumping to a quick assumption that Joe went full on Honky Tonk Man on one of his neighbors.

At least I would have gotten some satisfaction out of the broken guitar!

Gary
Gary SuperDork
7/1/17 8:17 p.m.

New post: Now Saturday, July 1, 2017 at around 9:15 pm. Lots of fireworks going off in my neighborhood, and it's only the beginning of the long Independence Day weekend. Sounds a lot like a battle zone. Great patriotism here, and I love it!

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/1/17 8:36 p.m.

Absolutely quiet here.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
7/1/17 8:38 p.m.

started on june 30th around here this year. The same day the local PD announced they will be arresting anyone who got caught.

Gary
Gary SuperDork
7/1/17 8:44 p.m.

Local PD is very lenient here I'm happy to say. Because I happen to like fireworks. Boom boom.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
7/1/17 8:51 p.m.

Surprisingly not fireworks. But lots of hot white chicks in patriotic bikini tops. Lots of people crowding into clubs at 5pm as I'm going to mass. Lots of already dronc peeps at fo' o' clock and one fellow that had some fireworks in the area of his anus showing through his shorts as I watch him climb drunkenly into an Uber with his crew. Bridge and Tunnel time here in the District just like Memorial Day. I do have probably the best roof top deck in D.C. to watch the Capital Fourth fireworks from and go downstairs to bed right after.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
7/1/17 9:31 p.m.

We had guests in one year on this weekend from Alabama and I announced to them that fireworks are illegal in Illinois.

You're kidding, right? It's a war zone here.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
7/1/17 9:45 p.m.

we are having a big fireworks bash at the Borgata Tuesday.. and like every year, I get to be there to clean up all the power afterwards. Just another holiday I am working

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/1/17 10:39 p.m.

Our local Police has no sense of humor. Oh and I have a state poliece officer and two other officers living in the naborhood. Lets just say this is a very well watched and very quiet part of town.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
7/1/17 10:44 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: we are having a big fireworks bash at the Borgata Tuesday.. and like every year, I get to be there to clean up all the power afterwards. Just another holiday I am working

There are three birthdays I don't work. Jesus' birthday. Americas birthday and my birthday.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
7/1/17 11:50 p.m.

People in my neighborhood start shooting stuff off about a week before the 4th and continue for another week afterwards. I don't mind the stuff at 9 or 10pm, but I'm not crazy about the 2am blasts.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/2/17 11:32 a.m.

Retaliate with a 6am quarter stick. Drunks with hangovers from detonating fireworks the night before LOOOOOOVE things exploding at 6am.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/2/17 11:51 a.m.

They've been a good spectacle, but I'm annoyed with them. So are the PTSD sufferers and the dogs. I'll probably stay in be next few nights to comfort the dogs

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
7/2/17 12:51 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: A neighbor child, looked to be younger than middle school, was just taken to the hospital in an ambulance with a JPP type injury.

I should know what that is, but I don't, and ain't no way I'm going to Google it.

STM317
STM317 Dork
7/2/17 1:12 p.m.

In reply to Knurled: Jason Pierre Paul (or JPP) is a pro football player who managed to blow off part of his hand with fireworks. Lost a couple of fingers I believe.

Gary
Gary SuperDork
7/2/17 8:32 p.m.

9:30 pm on July 2nd ... still a constant barrage of fire-power. I wasn't at the Somme 101 years ago (thankfully), but I can imagine this is what it probably sounded like.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/2/17 8:36 p.m.

This might be the only time the rest of you are envious of my hearing impairedness. Suckers.

Smarta$$ McPoopyPants
Smarta$$ McPoopyPants MegaDork
7/4/17 10:58 a.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

Duuuuuuude. Sorry.

I was about to start complaining about my redneck neighbors starting the celebration on July 1st (HEY Y'ALL, WE CAN SHOOT ALL NIGHT & TAINT NOBODY GONNA CALL THUH POE-LEECE!!!)

But your evening obviously sucked harder

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
7/4/17 11:11 a.m.

Still haven't heard anything.

Hal
Hal UltraDork
7/4/17 12:53 p.m.

Nothing here either. Fireman's Carnival in a town ~5 miles away had theirs last night but I didn't hear anything. The city does theirs tonight so we will go over to the neighbors and watch from their second floor porch.

Gary
Gary SuperDork
7/4/17 8:21 p.m.

9:17 pm on the Fourth ... our neighbors are definitely entertaining us. Big mortars going off at extreme height. Wonderful entertainment! You want to shoot off big ones without impunity? Come to Coventry and West Warwick, RI, around the Fourth of July and do it!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iqoYJ936okDtEDI1KbpWMbrIl5Rtgc6zHtKT4AgGgWnMjeYIvCYuUFvLluQ9dcab