1 2 3 4
Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/5/17 7:01 a.m.

Ouch. I've been fortunate to avoid breaking anything since I got back into DH racing a few years ago. Broke a few bones in my hand around 15 years ago.

I did have a very close call in late 2015 when I botched a jump and landed on my back from about 12'. It was a month before I could walk comfortably again. Body armor (with back protection) is probably the only reason I can walk at all right now.

Hope it heals up quickly!

Brian
Brian MegaDork
4/5/17 7:24 a.m.

Heal up. I've been fortunate enough to avoid any broken bones in my 33 years, doubly so considering some of the bike falls I have taken. Plenty of scars, no breaks.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
4/5/17 7:36 a.m.

Finally a topic I know about. I've broken a ton of bones falling of bikes, crashing cars, and playing dodgeball. Sometimes I don't realize how clumsy I am. My last chest x-ray the doc said it looked like someone threw a xylophone down the stairs. Sadly I have no cool scars. My only stitches were from an appendectomy and cutting my index finger filleting chicken.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
4/5/17 7:47 a.m.

I've made it 47 years without a break, which is pretty amazing considering how hard I have repeatedly thrown my body at the ground.

Gary
Gary SuperDork
4/5/17 8:16 a.m.

Heal soon and heal well, David. Good luck.

(I once fell off a ladder and cracked my sternum. Couldn't put a cast on it. Quite painful, especially when I coughed or sneezed. One "amusing" thing about the incident though: we were at my mother's calling hours, she had passed away just before my accident, and Annie was describing my condition to a group of friends. But she mistakenly told them that I had cracked my scrotum, not my sternum, which was quite disruptive at the somber event. That was almost twenty years ago and we still laugh about it).

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/5/17 8:17 a.m.

6 weeks ago today, I had a bad fall running. While I was lucky nothing broke, the muscles are still slowly recovering. Which is to say it still hurts.

Dave- plan on a longer recover than 10 years ago. Getting old sucks, but not sucks worse.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/5/17 8:29 a.m.
petegossett wrote: In reply to David S. Wallens: I wondered how it happened, but didn't want to ask, just in case...

JG backed the ramp truck into him.

Heal quickly, bud.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/5/17 8:30 a.m.

In reply to Duke:

Or who hasn't looked at a ramp truck and thought, "I wonder if I could jump that on my bike..."

Can't be just me.

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
4/5/17 9:02 a.m.

In reply to Duke:

Tetnus shot time

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
4/5/17 9:06 a.m.

Ouch. A broken arm and a blown up race car. I guess this isnt a lucky time at the grm lair. Be on the lookout for crazy dudes on bath salts hungry for some delicious face meat.

hobiercr
hobiercr Dork
4/5/17 10:50 a.m.

I fell last week and broke my right big toe. I'm blaming the oak pollen. It berkeleys everything up!

I hope your arm heals quickly and that you can get off the pain meds soon. Take it easy and don't do anything that even might re-injure it. Be patient. Let it heal.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 HalfDork
4/5/17 10:58 a.m.

I broke a derailleur on the mountain bike awhile back - landed a jump all cattywompus, foot slipped off and hit the ground, bounced back, and kicked the derailleur right off the bike. On the way down, the inside of my knee caught the outer chainring and sliced right into it, fortunately missing the tendons. I have a nice pattern where 7-8 of the teeth went straight into my leg.

You gotta heal up fast so you can go out and get more scars/stories to tell, haha.

Toebra
Toebra Reader
4/5/17 6:45 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I broke my thumb. Well, I didn't break it. The dumb berkeleying kid in the Jeep broke it when he rear ended me and totaled the Elise.

That is why I try to drive with my thumb on the outside of the steering wheel, rather that gripping it with the thumb on the inside.

If you smoke, stop until your fracture heals. Smoking and bone healing is like a fish riding a bicycle, don't go together.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/5/17 7:30 p.m.

Yeah, TB, that's a good idea, but 40 years of driving while grabbing the wheel is a hard habit to break. I did try for a while, but I forgot. Now, today, for example, I took the ZAV in to work. Anyone that hits a UZJ100 is going to be in a serious world of hurt, versus me, who probably would never feel it.

And as the orthopods I used to know would say: "Smoking bad for bone."

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/5/17 7:34 p.m.

BMX bikes are responsible for two of my four broken bones. I dread those first 2-3 nights where it hurts enough that it's hard to sleep. Heal fast.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
4/5/17 7:40 p.m.

Broke my thumb in 3 places and spent an entire summer in a cast up to my elbow once. Otherwise ive been lucky enough to just break a wrist on a razor scooter and a knee cap on a bike.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
4/5/17 8:13 p.m.

I broke a collar bone playing hockey years ago. My family doctor didn't think it was broke because I could windmill my arm in his office. I told him where exactly to put his two fingers while I windmilled the arm a second time. He could very readily feel the ends of the bone working back and forth, but it didn't hurt at all. Odd.

Hal
Hal UltraDork
4/5/17 8:26 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: For bones to heal, they need: Close approximation of the 2 parts. No movement of the 2 parts.

Sometimes you get stuff like this to make sure that happens.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
4/5/17 9:29 p.m.

It's plainly obvious that these archaic, chain driven bicycles need to be banned immediately. In fact, there should be a class action lawsuit brought against the makers of chains, bicycles and gravity.

PeterAK
PeterAK Dork
4/6/17 1:04 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Yes, I can wipe my butt.

Here's one of the entries for Say What in the next issue.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
4/6/17 1:45 p.m.

So forgive my ignorance, but how does a broken chain cause a BMX bike to crash? I would expect it to fling off so you just can't add power. Does it wrap around the rear spokes or sprocket somehow causing the wheel to lock?

slowride
slowride Dork
4/6/17 2:01 p.m.

If you're pedaling hard (standing up and weight forward) and then you suddenly have no resistance, you lurch forward and lose balance. Or at least that was my experience.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
4/6/17 2:05 p.m.
Woody wrote: It's plainly obvious that these archaic, chain driven bicycles need to be banned immediately. In fact, there should be a class action lawsuit brought against the makers of chains, bicycles and gravity.

I know a lawyer for that..He is from Florida too, just ask Ford!

I would say "feel better soon" but you are on pain pills so you might feel good now. How about just "I hope you get to ditch the fashion accessory before bikini season."

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/6/17 2:11 p.m.

OK, so you didn't break your arm, then, did you? You broke your forearm. Duh.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
4/6/17 2:18 p.m.

Once upon a time I crashed a three wheeler (Honda big red) and fractured both shoulder blades. It's a fairly rare break.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9a9NtNMI0V8HRrH2FbXJT9CYCezgBclp8tz2Xdln40MztaUzJIRALeckHOUDH7Qd