1 2 3
mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
4/28/16 11:38 p.m.

Well, i left mn. But, i grew up there. Most had already been covered. However, people seem to have missrd one tidbit, schools. Minnesota is consistently ranked at the top of the school charts, and with good reason. They're really good, if you know what youre doing. There are two school systems in this country i trust, and Dakota county mn is #1. Thats where minime goes. I was just discussing kindergarten with his mother and the general consensus is that hes going to a magnate kindergarten with a focus on nature. Swmbo 2.0 has a daughter in Florida's schools....and the difference is astounding.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
4/29/16 8:31 a.m.
1kris06 wrote: Depending on where you live WI is fairly close if you need liquor/beer on a sunday.

The local news had an interesting tidbit last night...apparently, while Minnesota is in the bottom five states for DWI/DUI arrests, Wisconsin is in the top five.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/29/16 9:06 a.m.

The good schools are a huge attraction. We shall see. I got two people after me now.

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
4/29/16 10:20 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote:
stuart in mn wrote:
drainoil wrote: And in Mpls, I won't even get into what it's like there.
Violent crime in the city is mostly relegated to a couple neighborhoods, for the most part it's pretty peaceful.
I come from philly and worked in camden. mpls will be a cake walk.

Compared to Philly I would agree with this. There are parts of that city that are so rundown and neglected you'd think you were in a bombed out third world nation.

Fueled by Caffeine
4/29/16 11:03 a.m.

In reply to drainoil:

unfortunately, I haven't been to a place in the nation without this issue yet.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
4/29/16 1:12 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: In reply to drainoil: unfortunately, I haven't been to a place in the nation without this issue yet.

As long as you stay out of northeast Minneapolis, east st paul and anything named brooklyn, youre gold.

I prefer the southeast metro. I grew up in South minneapolis. Moved to prior lake (berkeley that place) and after high school headed east. When i got married, we got a place in inver grove heights. For me it was the perfect mix of suburb/country and city. Also helped that it landed us smack in the middle of dakota county. When my son was born, we had a lot of community and other support. Just up the road is one of the best child hospitals in the country. Gibson was born in their neo unit, and was extremely well cared for. The schools have been massively good too. The beauty part of it is, mn has open enrollment. You can go pretty much anywhere even if its not your district, as long as you can get them there. It really was a good place to be.

Winter is a whole other critter though. Nearest i can tell mn hasnt had a bad one in about 5 years. I wasnt there for this one, but from what the bookface told me, it was pretty mild. Imo, if you're going to do an mn winter, might as well go for broke. There's something sorta of sickly satisfying about a brutal winter. Im all done with them, but most of the minnesotans that i still talk to love that E36 M3.

As far as mn nice goes, it really depends. Tj lived in the west metro. I might be biased but....those people suck. For whatever reason when suburban flight took place, the west metro collected all the dicks. East metro didnt seem to be that way. I find that if you stick to the more established communities the people are a lot nicer. The places that experience explosive growth (maple grove, plymouth, Wayzata) is where all the new snobby cash goes.

The racing scene is hit or miss. MAC runs most of the autoxes in mn. Ive run with the minnesota austin healey club before as well...but thats more of a fun run Advertized as 7/10ths. Brainerd is the closest real road course, and they have a few open events a year. Proving grounds in the spring and fall, and power cruise. They're also a full nhra drag strip, so theres that. Dakota technical college has a road course out back that has several test and tunes throughout the year....its not bad.

Whats been said before is pretty accurate about the car scene. Theres a handful of huge events and some parking lot get togethers. You could in theory go to a show every week, but its going to be a very....diverse set. Last one i went to was actually a lowrider show.

Food and beverage is quite frankly world class. The mn beer scene has exploded. Surly is probably the biggest micro on campus. They're consistently rated amongst thr best in the country for beer, and with good reason. My old haunt, flat earth, is one of the insung heroes. Theres a reason i took a minimum wage job there. Bob the brewer does amazing work. Theres also indeed, fulton, lift bridge, dangerous man, and so on. The craft spirits scene is huge too. Du norde, j carver, 11 wells, all sorts of good booze. If you like a nice cocktail, mn has you. Food is the same way. Mn being as liberal as it is, is a monster of a melting pot. As an example, i omce asked Richard Nixon what i should eat for dinner one night while playing xbox. Being a smartass, he replies lebanese. Without resorting to google, I actually knew where two lebanese resteraunts were, within 15min of me. Plus, mn invented the jucy lucy. (Not a typo. Matts bar on cedar did it, and anyone that says orherwise is an shiny happy person) cheese. In. A. Burger. End of story.

Fueled by Caffeine
4/29/16 3:57 p.m.

Thanks guys... too bad I didn't think of this last year when that MN house in coon rapids was for sale.. HAHA

Fueled by Caffeine
4/29/16 4:41 p.m.
mndsm wrote: As far as mn nice goes, it really depends. Tj lived in the west metro. I might be biased but....those people suck. For whatever reason when suburban flight took place, the west metro collected all the dicks. East metro didnt seem to be that way. I find that if you stick to the more established communities the people are a lot nicer. The places that experience explosive growth (maple grove, plymouth, Wayzata) is where all the new snobby cash goes.

what is the definition of east and west metro? We were going to look at minnetonka, plymouth, chaska, bloomington, apple valley to name a few.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
4/29/16 6:03 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: what is the definition of east and west metro? We were going to look at minnetonka, plymouth, chaska, bloomington, apple valley to name a few.

Minnetonka, Plymouth, Chaska, Bloomington are west metro. I think Apple Valley would be east metro. The dividing line is basically a north-south line running through the border between Minneapolis and St. Paul. I personally haven't noticed any issues with people on the west side.

Do you have a job lined up, and if so where is it located? With that information we can maybe point you to a suburb with an easy commute.

Fueled by Caffeine
4/29/16 6:52 p.m.

I don't have the job lined up. I need to go and talk 1st. The one company is HQ'd in Burnsville. It's a division of my former employeer, the president of the division is an old mentor. The other has places all over, potentially It would be downtown, but I don't know until I show up.

One job is pretty much we'll make a place for you. The other is really interested in my background. we shall see.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
4/29/16 7:21 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote:
mndsm wrote: As far as mn nice goes, it really depends. Tj lived in the west metro. I might be biased but....those people suck. For whatever reason when suburban flight took place, the west metro collected all the dicks. East metro didnt seem to be that way. I find that if you stick to the more established communities the people are a lot nicer. The places that experience explosive growth (maple grove, plymouth, Wayzata) is where all the new snobby cash goes.
what is the definition of east and west metro? We were going to look at minnetonka, plymouth, chaska, bloomington, apple valley to name a few.

Bloomington is as far west as id go, but thats me. I figure anything west of 35w is out of the question. Apple valley is nice. If you're looking that area, check Rosemount, eagan, and inver grove as well. They're all kinda mashed togetheralomg 35e south of 494. All dakota county too.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
4/29/16 8:01 p.m.

remember those shiny happy berkeleyheads that were flying down hwy 12/394 with the supercars last weekend? i saw a map of where they were all from, and almost all of them were from the west metro. i recall Edina being very well represented in that group... which sounds about right for the people that i've ever encountered from that area..

but i am happily far west of where all that transpired- well, not too far, but far enough. when i venture that way, i start to run into idiots in Montrose and Delano..

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
4/29/16 8:08 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine:

They really do all sound like the movie Fargo when they talk.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
4/29/16 8:27 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: remember those shiny happy berkeleyheads that were flying down hwy 12/394 with the supercars last weekend? i saw a map of where they were all from, and almost all of them were from the west metro. i recall Edina being very well represented in that group... which sounds about right for the people that i've ever encountered from that area.. but i am happily far west of where all that transpired- well, not too far, but far enough. when i venture that way, i start to run into idiots in Montrose and Delano..

Exactly.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
4/29/16 9:31 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: remember those shiny happy berkeleyheads that were flying down hwy 12/394 with the supercars last weekend? i saw a map of where they were all from, and almost all of them were from the west metro. i recall Edina being very well represented in that group... which sounds about right for the people that i've ever encountered from that area..

I actually work in Edina...it is a pretty affluent community, but I'm not rich enough to hang with those guys in the Lamborghinis. Like any city the majority of the people are pretty normal. They do have a very good school system. Burnsville, Apple Valley, etc. seem nice enough; you'd be close to work if you got a job down there, and there's a commuter rapid transit bus line to downtown if you end up working there. Bloomington covers a pretty wide area, it's sort of divided into east and west. West Bloomington tends to be more upscale.

Fueled by Caffeine
4/29/16 9:58 p.m.

Yeah my wife really wants to get the kids into a public Montessori school so that'll probably dictate where we live more than anything. That's what happened when we moved to Seattle. My wife had the exact school picked out before we got here so we moved close to it.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
4/29/16 11:30 p.m.

Tell her to look more the southeast end of dak. At least thats my call. Burnsville apple valley can get clogged up....though apple valley has a fantastic magnate school tied to the mn zoo. Went to a pilot program for it over one summer. Amazing.

Fueled by Caffeine
5/2/16 12:12 p.m.

OK. It's official, I am heading out to MSP on the 5/7-9... Lets see how she goes.

Russ

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
5/11/16 8:00 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: My wife is interested in the public Montessori magnet and charter school system and cannot find much info on enrollment etc. she is a huge Montessori supporter(and teacher).

Public Montessori school? Color me intrigued. My son was in Montessori school from preschool to kindergarten and did well. We wish we could afford the private Montessori school in our area, but it's big bucks.

Are there any other parts of the country that have public or charter Montessori schools, or do I have to move to Frostbite Falls?

Sorry for the thread jack. Maybe this needs its own thread.

Fueled by Caffeine
5/11/16 8:18 a.m.

In reply to HappyAndy:

Check this out. http://www.public-montessori.org/schools-map/by-state

The quality and strictness to "real Montessori" varies. But there are these schools in most states.

FooBag
FooBag New Reader
5/14/16 3:20 p.m.

The local MN SCCA chapter is fairly active in rallycross, with 9 events each year. They primarily utilize Facebook for the rallycross program, link here. There's also a slew of ice racing to participate in during the winter, such as SCCLac. If you're willing to travel a few hours, there's plenty of autocross. The "local" track is Brainerd International Raceway, ~2 hours away.

Fueled by Caffeine
5/14/16 8:43 p.m.

Wife loves the area. Very positive feedback. Waiting to hear back early next week.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/14/16 8:46 p.m.

Glad to hear. When you know more i can get more specific. I haunted the southeast metro for my adult life, and grew up in south minneapolis.

Fueled by Caffeine
6/27/16 9:02 a.m.

News on this front in a few.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/27/16 9:47 a.m.

I am excite.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ydzhMQuNKvxIEMy7W7xMxRPeuf31nN1XijFjiJ4E32vWDJrklqjk8bDUaQYZMRRM