1 2 3
Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/27/16 5:27 p.m.

Ok. So it's official at work now. I'm leaving to go to a division of the company I left, different division and job, when I came out to Seattle. Don't know exact timing yet, but I stayed work the 18th and the job is in Burnsville.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/27/16 5:53 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine:

Burnsvilleis a nice area, depending on the neighborhood. There's a few ways to get across the south metro if you choose to stay that side.

Fueled by Caffeine
6/27/16 6:14 p.m.

I need to fully figure out where my wife intends to put the kids at for school. She wants to stay closer to St. Paul due to the high number of public Montessori schools and therefore the ability to get her back to work is high.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/27/16 7:37 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: I need to fully figure out where my wife intends to put the kids at for school. She wants to stay closer to St. Paul due to the high number of public Montessori schools and therefore the ability to get her back to work is high.

Closer to st paul puts you in the 494 corridor, by 35e. Rosemount, inver grove heights, west st. Paul, south st. Paul. Regular st paul puts you in ramsey. Im not sure i trust those schools. My kid is starting school in the fall at a tech focused charter in dakota county.

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
6/28/16 8:17 a.m.

Milwaukee has a growing public Montessori program, low cost of living, close to Chicago etc. I like it here and it's a nice option if MN doesn't work out. No idea on your specific job situation though.

Fueled by Caffeine
6/28/16 8:45 a.m.

In reply to turtl631:

Thanks. I am going to be doing customer support/business development for aerospace. I've spent time in ops, customer service and supply chain in food production, manufacturing and online retail. So yeah. I can find a job just about anywhere

Fueled by Caffeine
6/27/17 12:10 p.m.

One year on and I can say that moving to Minnesota was the best thing I've ever done for my family. Ever. Kids happy, wife happy, job is good(not great) but I have some outside consulting gigs lined up to spice up life. I am busy building s team, hiring people.... it's a great time to be alive. Literally too busy to post here.

It's not all 100% rosy, my work does require lots of travel( already platinum on delta so far this year) and my allergies are nasty here. I've been on more prednisone than I care to admit but we're finally getting it all under control with the help of an allergy doc.

My wife found a school she loves and will be returning to her passion of teaching this fall. Hopefully that'll provide some breathing room for a fun car or ice house or fishing boat or mostly a fun car.

I had a company call me about a director level position the other day, I like having my family happy so I told them they'd' have to pay me $300k a year to move. I didn't hear back. Ha.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
6/27/17 12:23 p.m.

Glad to hear that it's working out. Although making Platinum on Delta before the first half of the year is over is some serious travel...

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/27/17 12:30 p.m.

Minnesota is a great place, honestly. I just despise snow, and I needed out.

Fueled by Caffeine
6/27/17 12:35 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

Just got back from china and boy are my arms tired.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/27/17 12:47 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Minnesota is a great place, honestly. I just despise snow, and I needed out.

To quote Lou Holtz, "Everyone I knew from Minnesota had blonde hair and blue ears"

Fueled by Caffeine
4/15/20 12:22 p.m.

4 years on..  I'm here.  

Fueled by Caffeine
4/15/20 12:52 p.m.

I guess I should provide more  a recap.  Personally,  This is the best move we have ever made.  The family loves our house, the kids schools are amazing.  It's a lot cheaper than Seattle.  My wife works at a wonderful school.  I have good friends. I do more lesiure stuff.  I'm not sure why people live in Seattle or Silicon valley and grind themselves against the tech machine.....  I get to work hard, but have more fun..  Sure the winters are bad.. Really bad.. but it keeps out the riff raff.    

Car wise, I have a miata now.. not sure I'll keep it.  I haven't bonded with it.  But the RUST on anything purchased around here is tremendous..  Just bad.. super bad.  The only low point of the whole thing is the rust on cars..

Career wise.. it's been interesting, The local place is great, but things have changed to due a lot of corporate merger stuff.  Still figuring that all out.

As an update to the 2017 post above. I was able to figure ou my allegy meds and they are way better here than anywhere on the east coast I lived...  hands down.

Overall.. 9/10 would do again..  Happy Wife... Happy Life I guess..

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/15/20 1:05 p.m.

Have you discovered The Current? The best indie radio station I have ever heard?

Fueled by Caffeine
4/15/20 1:35 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Yes. I love it. Listen to it all the time in the car. 

T.J. (FS)
T.J. (FS) MegaDork
4/15/20 3:41 p.m.

I really liked living in MN for half the year. The other half it was winter. I can't imagine how expensive Seattle has become if MSP seems cheap. I haven't been to Seattle since 2002.

It is great that you and the family are happy there. Hard to put a price on that. I wish where I lived had half of the parks as they have in MN, but our taxes are not as high.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/15/20 7:28 p.m.

Glad to hear it's been good for you.  I like it, too.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/15/20 9:12 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Have you discovered The Current? The best indie radio station I have ever heard?

I can't say I liked that station- always drove me batty. "Here's two guys with a harmonica and we're pretty sure that's a sousaphone or some E36 M3- whatever you're gonna be pretentious and pretend to like it anyhow". But then again I was switching between public enemy and insane clown posse on my way home from work, so I am no judge. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/16/20 9:40 p.m.

You can only listen to the same 3 Fallout Boy and Led Zeppelin songs on the radio before pretentious harmonica starts sounding pretty good.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Lgm9jL1MQtDyvTD8tU3qEXjXmirIy4YD69ujC6NoFtNlkQw1CnqUuPCJ1Ib2085H