1 2
ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
4/26/17 7:22 a.m.

I'm hooked on video game soundtracks lately while @ work. They do a great job of drowning out co-workers conversations (open office ) without being music I actually focus on. Any suggestions?

Obviously I am an id fanboy, but this is what I've been listening to so far:

IDKFA Doom soundtrack remix is great
DOOM (2016) soundtrack is amazing
d1X Rebirth has a good soundtrack, but I can't seem to find it in MP3 form.
Quake1 (Nine Inch Nails) is good, but is more environmental noises than music
Quake2 (Sonic Mayhem, Rob Zombie, etc.) is good
Carmageddon (some Fear Factory) is pretty entertaining
C&C Red Alert - I recall this being good

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
4/26/17 7:42 a.m.

Here are a few of my favorites, although I might like them more because of nostalgia for the game than the actual music:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/g2QRpVzQm-E?list=PL03B6438AD5837729&ecver=1

https://www.youtube.com/embed/cMnp2c4wl7Y?ecver=1

https://www.youtube.com/embed/w5ZkOf33CcU?ecver=1

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
4/26/17 7:46 a.m.

Not video game soundtracks, but some post hip-hop stuff like glitch mob and bassnectar are my go to background noise audio options when I need to focus.

RevRico
RevRico SuperDork
4/26/17 7:48 a.m.

Kmfdm - mortal kombat theme

Ok, so it's from the movie, still technically a videogame soundtrack.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
4/26/17 7:56 a.m.
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
4/26/17 8:34 a.m.

Good choices. Here are some more suggestions:

Terminal Velocity (possibly my favorite game BTW)

Desync

Furi

Iridion 3D

Streets of Rage 2 (one of the all-time great videogame soundtracks)

There are some good chiptune tracks in the Pokemon games.

I think I have the Descent/d1X soundtracks in MP3 at home. I really gotta get around to playing Bully.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
4/26/17 8:46 a.m.

The soundtrack for Metal Gear Rising: Reveangance was amazing. Both the songs Rules Of Nature and A Stranger I Remain are absolutely great.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
4/26/17 8:47 a.m.

Oh in terms of remixes, there are some good tracks in Warsongs, an official remix of the League of Legends soundtrack. Project Yi is the most feminine music I enjoy.

calteg
calteg Dork
4/26/17 8:53 a.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo:

Good, but not as good as Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
4/26/17 11:58 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Terminal Velocity (possibly my favorite game BTW)

Awesome. I am now in great danger of playing this all night!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
4/26/17 12:20 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote:

Still the only game that makes flying a space fighter feel as awesome as it looks in Star Wars

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
4/26/17 1:56 p.m.
ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
4/26/17 1:59 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
ProDarwin wrote:
Still the only game that makes flying a space fighter feel as awesome as it looks in Star Wars

I would counter with Descent FreeSpace

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
4/26/17 2:06 p.m.

Descent is a different genre, as an indoor 6DOF shooter...FreeSpace is closer but feels too much like a traditional combat flight sim in space. It's sane and not at all ridiculous.

Terminal Velocity is futuristic WW2 air combat on crack (in space), which is the exact recipe for a Star Wars space combat sequence

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett UltimaDork
4/26/17 2:20 p.m.

Slight threadjack, but I played in a band with the guy who did all the music & sound design at Volition up until about 3 or 4 years ago. I'm not a gamer though, so I have no idea what titles they released. He's a damn good musician, and I wish we were close enough to be in a band again.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UberDork
4/26/17 2:26 p.m.

Streets of Rage 1 and 2 on the Genesis both have unbelievable soundtracks, thanks to the composer Yuzo Koshiro. I remember recording them back when I was a kid via the headphone jack on my Genesis into my tape deck's line-in! Basically anything Yuzo Koshiro did was gold; he did a lot of stuff in the 16 bit era, including The Revenge of Shinobi and the Ys games. He's still at it, too.

Another one of my favorites is the Chrono Trigger soundtrack. It's probably my favorite video game of all time, and the soundtrack by Nobuo Uematsu is incredible. It's a great one to relax to. He also did a bunch of the Final Fantasy games.

Then, there's the Castlevania games. Basically all of them have incredible soundtracks. Most tunes translate well into shred-tastic guitar stuff, too.

Oh, and the Mega Man games on the NES were musically great, too! 2 and 3 were especially awesome, and blow my mind on how they were able to get that kind of soundtrack out of the NES.

If you are looking for something a little more, well, METAL, check out the Boston-based band Powerglove. They rip HARD. http://powergloveband.com/music/

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
4/26/17 2:40 p.m.
Tony Sestito wrote: Basically anything Yuzo Koshiro did was gold; he did a lot of stuff in the 16 bit era, including The Revenge of Shinobi and the Ys games. He's still at it, too.

Anything in the 16bit era, his later work hasn't lived up to it IMO.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
4/26/17 7:54 p.m.

I always thought Icewind Dale (RPG, 2000) had a good score, it was electronic but mimicked acoustic instruments. Some parts from the Severed Hand chapter were actually pretty damn good in an Arvo Part kind of way.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/26/17 9:19 p.m.

I've got the Interstate 76 soundtrack. It's got some great 70's funk in it, cut with in-game dialogue. Never played the game, but I enjoy the soundtrack :)

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
4/26/17 9:20 p.m.

I remember I played a demo of that game and thought it seemed like it would be good. Very similar to Vigilante 8.

Doc Brown
Doc Brown Dork
4/26/17 9:22 p.m.

Back in the day this sounded awesome on a 386 with a genuine creative labs 16 bit soundblaster.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/t13uJYwsC8A

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
4/26/17 9:39 p.m.
RevRico wrote: Kmfdm - mortal kombat theme Ok, so it's from the movie, still technically a videogame soundtrack.

This whole movie soundtrack is excellent.

Old school game called descent, and it's sequel, descent two. Had some quality noise in the background. Was available as Redbook audio, played in my cd player.

Also, consider the daft punk from legacy soundtrack. Very chill.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/26/17 10:21 p.m.

Ha, thank you YouTube. Interstate 76 sountrack

I remember Descent being pretty good too. I had a Roland Sound Canvas in my PC at the time.

Oh, and if we're talking Doom - don't forget about the Dark Side of Phobos remix project. Bonus points for having both the chainsaw and the shotgun startup sounds in Hangarmageddon. It's a little uneven, but Hangarmageddon and Intermission are both good from what I remember.

Kylini
Kylini Dork
4/27/17 12:06 a.m.

Check out Disasterpeace for some amazing and original music. Here's my favorite album of theirs.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
4/27/17 7:20 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Oh, and if we're talking Doom - don't forget about the Dark Side of Phobos remix project. Bonus points for having both the chainsaw and the shotgun startup sounds in Hangarmageddon. It's a little uneven, but Hangarmageddon and Intermission are both good from what I remember.

Excellent. Thank you for this. I could listen to DOOM remixes all day.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oFy0BC72HPSpeF3PHPHlw9ZCZ3prerlIJEBi8PnAvVntL79Xk9F5SbxTt8ye3Z4e