Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
10/15/17 3:55 p.m.

Are any of us, or do any of us know, a literary agent? I'm shopping for an agent right now and I have some questions. 

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Dork
10/15/17 4:30 p.m.

Watching for mutual interest.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
10/16/17 7:14 a.m.

I belong to a writer's forum  https://www.writingforums.org/ 

I would suggest you poke around there. Quite a bit of information on the topic. I self-publish so can't help you more.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
10/16/17 7:30 a.m.

My first two books were non-fiction and I didn't bother with an agent. I've written a fantasy novel now and have been shopping it around. Unfortunately I didn't get any interest from the first ten or twelve agents I contacted - some through Agent Query, some by searching for who was the agent for various fantasy authors I've read and enjoyed. Since most fantasy publishers accept direct submissions, I've started sending out my manuscript, starting with DAW.

But the most important thing to remember: A useful agent is one who's sold books you've heard of.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
10/16/17 9:50 a.m.

I'm self-published, too. I don't like the business side of self-publishing. I'm not good at marketing and sales and media. I'm good at writing. It's the same reason I stopped consulting and became a W2 employee - I hate the business stuff. I hate sales. I hate billing. I just want to write software. I know I'm leaving money on the table this way, and I will be with the writing, too, but I'm willing to pay someone to do something that I hate to do.

DAW is a good lead. There's a bunch of authors I read and enjoy who have done a bunch through Penguin. 

Now I have to figure out how to write a good cover letter! :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YfS9sOR3V0DLTJfmIo7oFfusBOwaseT2UXmzCoJrjT25BFUguG3MKAOqetl7Nt9f