Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/24/17 1:54 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

Fair point, as I said above, it's a less than two year old B&S in a Toro. Funny thing is I posted on here when we bought it. I wanted a Honda and got a nice one. 15 year old found it too heavy, took it back tot he big orange box and got a smaller Honda, took it home, same deal. Back to HD and got something else, still no go for the kid. Went back and got the Toro with the B&S and she can manage it. I bet the Honda wouldn't have gummed up.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
4/24/17 2:02 p.m.

Why is it that for every one day of vacation, you get behind by 3?

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
4/24/17 2:09 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

Tell it like it is!

Never had a carb or EFI issue with ethanolated fuel and that is all I have ever seen here since the mid 1980s.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
4/24/17 2:10 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Why is it that for every one day of vacation, you get behind by 3?

You must work with people who would be more productive if they were duct-taped to their chair...

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
4/24/17 2:12 p.m.

The buck stops on my desk. And if im not present to observe it, people screw it up. Apparently.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/24/17 2:23 p.m.

Tuna55's cousin, to his family, and eight other cousin families, three aunt/uncle combos:

Hey everyone! We're so excited for Gramps and Grams 60th anniversary that we want everyone to be here (~900 miles away) on this day. We're also so excited [pintrist, decorations, yada yada yada do not care] we've got reservations at [redacted] and the cost will only be roughly $65 per adult and $15 per child and...

It's going to cost me nearly $200 to go to dinner?

You know what? F you. I'm staying home.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
4/24/17 4:09 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Why is it that for every one day of vacation, you get behind by 3?

Where I work we say you're punished for taking a day off. You WILL suffer when you get back.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
4/24/17 4:14 p.m.

Who the berkeley returns a $2.39 bag of drywall anchors? The Wife wanted a small shelf hung today so I ducked into Lowes and picked up a baggie of anchors. I get home and find out that someone tried to use them, mangled them, and then very carefully glued the bag shut and returned them. How is that even worth the effort? I hope there's a special place in hell for people that do E36 M3 like that so when I get there I can throw hot rocks at them.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
4/24/17 4:24 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

Why are you mad at them for you choice to have a family as large as you have?

There's no reason why you can't show up before or after to wish them a Happy Anniversary in your own way.

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
4/24/17 4:29 p.m.

IL property taxes. WHAT A RACKET!

First of all, it will take you an afternoon to figure out the method that the government uses to calculate them. Then, you will have a moment of clarity followed quickly by a longer moment of sorrow, fear, and anger.

The property taxes are certainly more expensive than the loan, so, it's almost like interest rates do not matter.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/24/17 6:35 p.m.
Stefan wrote: In reply to tuna55: Why are you mad at them for you choice to have a family as large as you have? There's no reason why you can't show up before or after to wish them a Happy Anniversary in your own way.

Because it's stupid. My grandparents can't even eat normally due to stomach issues, and gram can't be farther than a short walk from a bathroom.

Furthermore, if I say no to this, I'll be the disaster of the century. I promise I don't have a choice as you think I do.

My family isn't even large. Thanks for the unnecessary judgement though.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' Dork
4/24/17 7:06 p.m.
Robbie wrote: IL property taxes. WHAT A RACKET! First of all, it will take you an afternoon to figure out the method that the government uses to calculate them. Then, you will have a moment of clarity followed quickly by a longer moment of sorrow, fear, and anger. The property taxes are certainly more expensive than the loan, so, it's almost like interest rates do not matter.

I’m amazed that California hasn’t destroyed Proposition 13 years ago. Out here, the property tax is set at 1% of the sale price and has an annual increase limit of 2% plus special assessments that add ~30%.

If I bought my house today, the property tax would be ~$12,500 and yet it’s only ~$2,800. Even after taking the AGI write off into consideration, I’m still saving ~$7,275 per year net…that’s enough to cover the cost of two new 36K cars every ten years.

Hal
Hal UltraDork
4/24/17 9:31 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: Tuna55's cousin, to his family, and eight other cousin families, three aunt/uncle combos: Hey everyone! We're so excited for Gramps and Grams 60th anniversary that we want everyone to be here (~900 miles away) on this day. We're also so excited [pintrist, decorations, yada yada yada do not care] we've got reservations at [redacted] and the cost will only be roughly $65 per adult and $15 per child and...

If it is like my extended family the "and..." is followed by "it is scheduled for next Saturday".

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
4/24/17 9:37 p.m.
Robbie wrote: IL property taxes. WHAT A RACKET! First of all, it will take you an afternoon to figure out the method that the government uses to calculate them. Then, you will have a moment of clarity followed quickly by a longer moment of sorrow, fear, and anger. The property taxes are certainly more expensive than the loan, so, it's almost like interest rates do not matter.

My mortgage is down to $465/month - I'm quickly paying it down. I put $700/month away for my Will County Taxes (Illinois).

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
4/24/17 11:16 p.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote:
My mortgage is down to $465/month - I'm quickly paying it down. I put $700/month away for my Will County Taxes (Illinois).

Ok. Next time you American types browbeat Canadians about our tax burden, I'm gonna bring up property taxes. $8400 a year is a huge tax bill. My house is worth $375,000, taxes $3,100.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/25/17 5:08 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote:
Datsun310Guy wrote:
Ok. Next time you American types browbeat Canadians about our tax burden, I'm gonna bring up property taxes. $8400 a year is a huge tax bill. My house is worth $375,000, taxes $3,100.

Highly dependent on geography. Here it's like $1000 for my $250k house.

WilD
WilD Dork
4/25/17 7:19 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

Interesting perspective on small engines and lack of manufacturer responsibility. My father bought a brand new Husqvarna riding mower (not cheap) and the carb gummed up and flooded the engine with fuel. The dealer blamed ethanol gas and said he shouldn't have been using it. He claimed all yard equipment should only ever use gasoline free of all ethanol, so my father was trying to figure out where to even get that...

Of course no warranty coverage (not sure if it was due to the "bad gas" claim or if it had simply just missed the warranty period) so he has to pay for a rebuilt or new engine on the newest mower he owns.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/25/17 7:30 a.m.

In reply to WilD:

That's exactly my point- E10 fuel has been the nominal fuel in the US for a LONG time, let alone the era where we experimented with Methanol in fuels in many places. Back in the 80's, car companies learned the issues with the different oxygenates, and dealt with them. To the point that now, cars are easily robust to ethanol.

So it's not as if there's no solution to the robustness.

It's that the small engine manufacturers ignore that solution, and then go on to blame the most common fuel available on the market. They are the only ones who seem to get away with that blame game.

When I bought a chipper at a big box store, I told the guy helping me that if it went bad due to fuel, I was going to bring it back. This was after he suggested some fuel additives.

I do realize that Ethanol causes problems. But just gasoline does, too- you can't just use some normal clear PVC pipe for fuel line. Seals can't dissolve in fuel. Etc. So the requirement for robustness is already there.

Personally, I'd take them to small claims court- pointing out that it's not reasonable to demand customers use something other than the nominal fuel that is required, by law, across almost all 50 states (Green states are a little different, but very related).

Which is a nice minor rant appropriate for this thread.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
4/25/17 8:33 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Streetwiseguy wrote:
Datsun310Guy wrote:
Highly dependent on geography. Here it's like $1000 for my $250k house.

indeed.. here at the Jersey Shore, I pay $8400 a year in taxes on a three bedroom rancher with an unfinished basement. A house worth about $250,000. If I lived in the next town south of here. (10 minutes down the road) with all the doctors, it would be a half million dollar house with about $12000 a year in taxes. The town north of here (literally next street over) it would be a $100,000 house with almost nil taxes

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/25/17 8:58 a.m.

Illinois is spectacularly bad for taxes. [In the Chicago area] you can either pay a ridiculous amount if you live in an area with bad schools, or a ludicrous amount if you live in an area with good schools.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
4/25/17 10:38 a.m.

The IT department at my office has to scrimp and save while R&D just blew a new German sportbike's worth of money on software that's probably not meaningfully better than what we already get for free, without consulting anyone involved from the IT department. This is why we can't have nice things.

Update: Confirmed, not meaningfully better. It's mostly inferior to what we already had, it has one feature that works a little better but our current solution could've been modified to bring it on par.

RevRico
RevRico SuperDork
4/25/17 11:12 a.m.

Secretary or greeter our whatever your title is these days, it will be on you that I don't buy from your dealership. The salesman has been great, knows I'm shopping him against another dealer, and had been respectful of "I'll call you, don't call me". You, miss Secretary person, have called me 4 times in 20 hours with "satisfaction surveys" and to remind me of the test drive I scheduled. Cut it the berkeley out.

As it stands, you're price is 2 grand higher than your competitor, but I like the sales guy and am considering doing business with him. Not with these constant calls from you coming in though.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/25/17 12:04 p.m.

It is nap time, but instead of taking a nap, I'm putting these cover sheets on TPS reports.

WilD
WilD Dork
4/25/17 12:10 p.m.

In reply to RevRico:

Do you think the poor girl they are paying minimum wage to make those calls has any choice in the matter? I guarantee that she knows she's bothering you and wants to call you even less than you want to receive the call.

P.S. It's the salesman and the owner who get monies if you fill out that survey or come in and buy. Who do you think is yelling at her to get her to call you over and over? One or both of those two dudes.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/25/17 12:34 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: In reply to alfadriver: Fair point, as I said above, it's a less than two year old B&S in a Toro. Funny thing is I posted on here when we bought it. I wanted a Honda and got a nice one. 15 year old found it too heavy, took it back tot he big orange box and got a smaller Honda, took it home, same deal. Back to HD and got something else, still no go for the kid. Went back and got the Toro with the B&S and she can manage it. I bet the Honda wouldn't have gummed up.

The Honda was fine. Get a stronger 15yr old.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YA5oi8b9JNjEAUZ9h8uEOUTwWymkYw4KeBlBuXPNea24zcvA0vM1SNMGF5EUqyXs