Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
4/25/17 12:44 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: My family isn't even large. Thanks for the unnecessary judgement though.

I think the line of thought was, $65 per adult X2 = 135, from 200 leaves 65, so 4-5 kids and then, I dunno, teleport 900 miles instead of driving or flying?

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
4/25/17 12:49 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Stefan wrote: In reply to tuna55: Why are you mad at them for you choice to have a family as large as you have? There's no reason why you can't show up before or after to wish them a Happy Anniversary in your own way.
Because it's stupid. My grandparents can't even eat normally due to stomach issues, and gram can't be farther than a short walk from a bathroom. Furthermore, if I say no to this, I'll be the disaster of the century. I promise I don't have a choice as you think I do. My family isn't even large. Thanks for the unnecessary judgement though.

Not judging, sorry if it read that way, but merely stating facts.

In this day and age in the Western world, you have a large family. Period.

So your choice is to stand up and try and head off this train wreck of a party for the sake of the Grandparents or go along with the majority.

Like I said, you don't HAVE to go to the party, you can always do your celebration or get together with them. At their age, they'd much rather see their family and spend quality time with them than have a loud, boisterous party where they are ignored and/or misunderstood.

RevRico
RevRico SuperDork
4/25/17 12:51 p.m.

In reply to WilD:

While I do agree with you almost completely, dealership A, has sent two emails and one phone call. One email contained a trade in assessment and payment schedule we talked about, the second a recent trade in they got at another location, and the call was a survey. Simple, brief, easy.

Dealership B, who I ranted about, could learn a thing or three about that newfangled email stuff. Especially since the person they should be calling is my mom at her listed number, not really sure where they got my phone number I didn't give it to them.

Bonus rant: I actually typed up a bit lengthier and information filled post and somehow it refreshed when I went to hit send and everything disappeared.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
4/25/17 2:18 p.m.
Appleseed wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote: In reply to alfadriver: Fair point, as I said above, it's a less than two year old B&S in a Toro. Funny thing is I posted on here when we bought it. I wanted a Honda and got a nice one. 15 year old found it too heavy, took it back tot he big orange box and got a smaller Honda, took it home, same deal. Back to HD and got something else, still no go for the kid. Went back and got the Toro with the B&S and she can manage it. I bet the Honda wouldn't have gummed up.
The Honda was fine. Get a stronger 15yr old.

This. I've been stuck doing yard work since I was about 10. Every B&S motor I've had has been troublesome. My grandfather avoided them whenever possible and had ancient machines with Techumsas(?) and other brands that started on the first pull. Anything my father or I bought with a B&S has been nothing but headaches. I went out of my watch to buy other brands when I bought my house and they all run fine even when neglected. Somehow the most popular name in lawnmower engines can't unlock the secret.

RevRico
RevRico SuperDork
4/27/17 10:04 a.m.

Not sure if it's a win or a rant, but looks like I don't have to deal with my mom getting a new car this week.

The "bottom line price" they offered up has me paying them to take the jeep as a trade in.

At least that completely knocks one of them out of contention, still need to go look at a 2016 with 2400 miles and a better warranty an hour away.

I just don't understand their math. 14400 website price, 15200 in store price. After taking the jeep on trade for 5000, my price is 12200? That doesn't math out to me.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
4/27/17 10:39 a.m.

Dog sitting the next two weeks. A Bichon Frise and a Chihuahua that my mom has. the Bichon is laid back and a joy, the little rat dog barks at his own shadow

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/27/17 10:52 a.m.
RevRico wrote: Not sure if it's a win or a rant, but looks like I don't have to deal with my mom getting a new car this week. The "bottom line price" they offered up has me paying them to take the jeep as a trade in. At least that completely knocks one of them out of contention, still need to go look at a 2016 with 2400 miles and a better warranty an hour away. I just don't understand their math. 14400 website price, 15200 in store price. After taking the jeep on trade for 5000, my price is 12200? That doesn't math out to me.

Is that out the door? Do you have it in writing? If they don't offer it for the website price, call in the police. Bait and Switch. False advertising.

Not worth the hassle though.

jstand
jstand HalfDork
4/27/17 1:37 p.m.
mtn wrote:
RevRico wrote: Not sure if it's a win or a rant, but looks like I don't have to deal with my mom getting a new car this week. The "bottom line price" they offered up has me paying them to take the jeep as a trade in. At least that completely knocks one of them out of contention, still need to go look at a 2016 with 2400 miles and a better warranty an hour away. I just don't understand their math. 14400 website price, 15200 in store price. After taking the jeep on trade for 5000, my price is 12200? That doesn't math out to me.
Is that out the door? Do you have it in writing? If they don't offer it for the website price, call in the police. Bait and Switch. False advertising. Not worth the hassle though.

I've seen some ads that have wording in the fine print that says "advertised price is final pricing after $xxxx down payment or trade"

I can't be certain, but I think I have seen something similar when looking at a used car while waiting for service to be completed on mine.

Definitely sneaky, and not really a good way to gain customer trust.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/27/17 8:45 p.m.

Dang it. I think I the lug key on the locking nut after fixing the parking brake. Now I can't find the damn thing. I meant to take them all off and replace them with regular lugs, but forgot. Off to Harbor freightfor some cheap sockets.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
4/27/17 8:50 p.m.

I saw snow falling from the sky today, but if I were home I would've enjoyed another day in the mid 70's.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
4/27/17 9:20 p.m.

two year of playing with Japanese pull saws, I had to use a regular western "push saw" today at work. Everyone was looking at me like I had forgotten how to tie my shoes

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
4/28/17 9:03 a.m.

Several weeks ago I received my new Visa card. The envelope was open, not like damage from a mail machine, open like top cut end to end w/ a letter opener. Everything was intact tho and in the mail box. I reported it immediately to Visa and wanted a new card issued right away, they said nothing to worry about as no fraud committed but they'd monitor the account.

Visa anti-fraud called this morning w/ several 'suspect' charges. Two were refused but one went through, that one will be removed from my bill. All were from Uber type transport.

All I wanted was a new card from the get go as mine was now considered compromised but what the berkeley do I know. I'm now CC-less for five days in prime car part buying season.

I don't wanna say it was Section 8er's up the street who used my card number... but it was Section 8er's up the street who used my card number.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/28/17 9:07 a.m.
fasted58 wrote: Several weeks ago I received my new Visa card. The envelope was open, not like damage from a mail machine, open like top cut end to end w/ a letter opener. Everything was intact tho and in the mail box. I reported it immediately to Visa and wanted a new card issued right away, they said nothing to worry about as no fraud committed but they'd monitor the account. Visa anti-fraud called this morning w/ several 'suspect' charges. Two were refused but one went through, that one will be removed from my bill. All were from Uber type transport. All I wanted was a new card from the get go as mine was now considered compromised but what the berkeley do I know. I'm now CC-less for five days in prime car part buying season. I don't wanna say it was Section 8er's up the street who used my card number... but it was Section 8er's up the street who used my card number.

What bank/company are you using for that Visa card? That sounds ridiculous.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 HalfDork
4/28/17 9:56 a.m.
mtn wrote:
fasted58 wrote: Several weeks ago I received my new Visa card. The envelope was open, not like damage from a mail machine, open like top cut end to end w/ a letter opener. Everything was intact tho and in the mail box. I reported it immediately to Visa and wanted a new card issued right away, they said nothing to worry about as no fraud committed but they'd monitor the account. Visa anti-fraud called this morning w/ several 'suspect' charges. Two were refused but one went through, that one will be removed from my bill. All were from Uber type transport. All I wanted was a new card from the get go as mine was now considered compromised but what the berkeley do I know. I'm now CC-less for five days in prime car part buying season. I don't wanna say it was Section 8er's up the street who used my card number... but it was Section 8er's up the street who used my card number.
What bank/company are you using for that Visa card? That sounds ridiculous.

Get a Discover. I haven't had any fraud issues to deal with yet, but everyone tells me they are great, and just all around I enjoy the Discover card. I love the app, I can make payments, check balance, see my credit score, all from my phone. I think in the 1.5 ish years that I've had mine, I have only run into one place that didn't take discover.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
4/28/17 10:22 a.m.

In reply to mtn:

Had this Visa card for over 30 yrs through my CU w/o any problems, they may have changed the bank a few yrs ago, dunno. Maybe the card rep didn't wanna deal w/ my issue of open mail... or didn't believe me but I can't see this being company policy.

They did catch the suspect charges for their credit. I let two other cards expire as this Visa was my go to. Maybe oughta pick up a spare card JIC.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/28/17 10:39 a.m.
fasted58 wrote: In reply to mtn: Had this Visa card for over 30 yrs through my CU w/o any problems, they may have changed the bank a few yrs ago, dunno. Maybe the card rep didn't wanna deal w/ my issue of open mail... or didn't believe me but I can't see this being company policy. They did catch the suspect charges for their credit. I let two other cards expire as this Visa was my go to. Maybe oughta pick up a spare card JIC.

I just can't imagine how you could tell someone who's job SHOULD be at stake that your card may have been compromised, and they said don't worry about it.

That is insane. I'd be asking who their (CU) Chief Compliance Officer is, and to speak with them directly to ask for an answer. That is insane.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
4/28/17 11:57 a.m.

Do you have an issue with your mail being delivered to the wrong house or receive someone else's mail? The Mailperson consistently reads the wrong street on my mail and the next street over with the same house number. Could be was delivered to wrong house, they opened without looking and then found it wasn't theirs then gave it back to the mail carrier to deliver to the right house? Sometimes it's the next door neighbor mail that gets unintentionally swapped and vice-versa. Happens to me once in a while, even been guilty of opening the wrong mail then finding it isn't mine. Usually catch it before I open it though.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
4/28/17 12:37 p.m.

In reply to wlkelley3:

That could be possible but never had opened mail in the box before, like over 30 years here. Thing is, the mail box sits right close to the sidewalk and is about 100' from my house. I work midnight and I don't always pick up mail on my way out, it may sit overnight till I pick it up in the morning, my bad.

Now, why Section 8er's. They appear to have a lotta time on their hands, out all hours and pretty popular w/ traffic on the street if ya know what I mean. Neighbor has also told me she observed drug deals by them behind my house. Coulda also been random but who would only try to charge Uber rides? That's my best gut sense.

WilD
WilD Dork
4/28/17 1:27 p.m.

In reply to fasted58:

You are probably right about someone in your neighborhood stealing that card number. However, do you have an Uber account, and if so was it set up to use that card? My co-worker recently had some Uber chargers show up for rides she didn't take. It turned out that her Uber account was compromised, probably through a flaw in Uber's systems. Long story short, everyone who has had an Uber account for a while should change their passwords if the haven't recently...

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
4/28/17 5:31 p.m.

Only worked 20 days this month like normal but put in ~220 hours instead of the 160 that I should have. With commute and lunch another 30+ on top of that is the real number. I am tired.

Also Viper is finally getting sent to yet another shop to confirm the damage on Saturday.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
4/28/17 5:36 p.m.

berkeley you, sun plaza car wash. Your hours say open to 6. I roll in at 5:45, and get told by the attendant that its past 6 and no service. I also get an attitude from this attendant. When i show him the tim on his own berkeleying clock, he makes a racist comment and tells me tough E36 M3.

I really, really berkeleying HATE people.

jstand
jstand HalfDork
4/28/17 6:29 p.m.

How did auto repair become something done by "trial and error"?

Doesn't anyone know how to troubleshoot to determine the root cause?

Service departments basically look for the first thing that might cause the problem and stop looking. If replacing that part doesn't work then they do the same thing again with the next part. The consumer is expected to pay for their guess work until they get to the item that actually fixes the problem. This approached leaves a pile of unnecessarily replaced parts and high repair cost in its wake.

Oh, and don't try to get them to take responsibility for their diagnosis, that isn't how the system works. When put on the spot they will say that their diagnosis is only a starting point, and they don't know what they will find after they replace the parts.

As a measure of their confidence, I offered to pay for the replacement of the parts if it fixed the problem, but asked them to cover the cost if it didn't solve the issue. Seemed like a reasonable request since they claim to know the cause and that it could be fixed by paying them to replace the specified parts.

I thought it was reasonable, but the service writer and service manager did not think so, and told me the system does not work that way. They replace the parts the think are causing the problem and if that doesn't fix it they move on to the next parts.

When pressed for a more in depth explanation of their diagnosis, they were unable to provide a solid reason for why the parts they wanted to replace would cause all the symptoms.

During their explanation I did learn I was working on cars before the service writer was even born. But the most shocking thing I learned was the service manager is an ASE certified master technician, and according to him the brake fluid compresses (his words not mine), and that's how it compresses the brakes to stop the car. Not even close to how brakes work or fluid behaves, but hey what do I know?

In the end I ended up being sent away, and asked never to return to have the van serviced there...

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
4/28/17 8:53 p.m.

so let me get this right. The new company is clamping down on us for Excessive OT, but my boss is not only working 7 days straight this week, but did ten hours today? We work 15 minutes OT and get the stink eye from upper management, but he gets to rape the company

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/28/17 9:13 p.m.

A friend of mine bugs me about drinking soda. I understand that there probably aren't the best things in it, but it's hard for me to take you seriously when you send me a link to a Web article saying how this is bad, and that is bad, and the sources sited are other personal blogs and hardcore anti-GMO spam.

I'm a skeptic. I need tangible, reputable sources. Medical journals, etc... not some opinion piece stating that one guy drank 8 liters of Mountain Dew a day for years and had medical issues. No E36 M3?

Never mind the fact that you text me these things while puffing on a lung dart, and ripping bowl after bowl of dope. It E36 M3 like this that makes hippies hard to take seriously. I can send you links to published papers stating that those Marlboro have a 1 in 3 chance of killing you. But I won't, because browbeating doesn't lead to enlightenment.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
4/28/17 9:54 p.m.

Aggravated the tarsal tunnel in my left foot somehow yesterday, seriously no clue how since work was slow and i didnt do E36 M3 after work since the weather sucked. today i managed to gimp my way through work and now i cant walk on it. guess ill be buying another pair of new balance to replace the brand new fila's. last time i try to save 20 bucks on shoes.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LWZja0ln5nwy5frWjGPa0gA5JuurDqJsWAUhj8yHz5rd0xpVBsmXUBndTe2ZMMW6