mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
6/23/17 8:16 p.m.

Expedition Portal is dangerous. That is all I have to say

RevRico
RevRico SuperDork
6/23/17 9:58 p.m.

I keep the miata in the car port. It is the only vehicle under a roof. It's also the only vehicle covered in bird E36 M3.

They didn't E36 M3 on it when there was a family living in the hydraulic press in the corner, but now that none of them live there, it's like game on.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
6/24/17 5:24 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: In reply to fasted58: my very minor rant is that we have been denied yet another epic tale of your conquests and (mis)adventures.

No more misadventures or crazy, I hope.

Gettin' too old for that, just want normal... if that's even possible anymore.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
6/24/17 6:07 p.m.

My new meds work awsome at keeping migraine away. 2 migraine free days in a row!!!!

The rant? The bottle ain't berkeleying kidding about "stay out of direct sunlight". Never had sun kick my ass like that before. Which sucks, because i prefer to be outside.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
6/25/17 1:57 a.m.

Went to Canadian Nationals today (yesterday now)
First heat, last place, a full second behind the next guy, 3 seconds behind first place.
After the second heat, still last place, nearly 6 seconds behind the leader overall.
Super glad I invested all this time and money in a car that can only compete in the wet and cold... for a sport that is 95% hot and dry.
Anyone want to buy a low mile, nearly stock Evo X?
Disclaimer: in no way implying that I'm some sort of talented driver. I'm a hack. But I'm not 'three seconds off the pace on a sub minute course' bad.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
6/26/17 9:31 a.m.

PSA: You might want to avoid ever staying up for extremely long periods (for me it was about 30 hours with maybe 1 hour of sleep) unless you want to risk experiencing something like a bad acid trip. It could be one of the worst experiences of your life. It will at least teach you to appreciate some of the simple things, like closing your eyes and not seeing anything, or thinking about one thing or even nothing at all while not having a cacophony of nightmarish nonsense thoughts swarming in your head.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/26/17 9:43 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: PSA: You might want to avoid ever staying up for extremely long periods (for me it was about 30 hours with maybe 1 hour of sleep) unless you want to risk experiencing something like a bad acid trip. It could be one of the worst experiences of your life. It will at least teach you to appreciate some of the simple things, like closing your eyes and not seeing anything, or thinking about one thing or even nothing at all while not having a cacophony of nightmarish nonsense thoughts swarming in your head.

I've done it twice, 35 hours or so each time. Both times it was OK, but definitely difficult to keep sane at the end and the next day.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/26/17 11:45 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: PSA: You might want to avoid ever staying up for extremely long periods (for me it was about 30 hours with maybe 1 hour of sleep) unless you want to risk experiencing something like a bad acid trip. It could be one of the worst experiences of your life. It will at least teach you to appreciate some of the simple things, like closing your eyes and not seeing anything, or thinking about one thing or even nothing at all while not having a cacophony of nightmarish nonsense thoughts swarming in your head.

I've done 24 hours, 1 hour of sleep, then 39 hours. Otherworldly. You see, and think things you wouldn't believe. Bad things.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
6/26/17 12:49 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: I've done 24 hours, 1 hour of sleep, then 39 hours. Otherworldly. You see, and think things you wouldn't believe. Bad things.

Ah so you know what I'm talking about.

Towards the end I was more awake than I ever normally am when I should be asleep. After the 30th hour I might've slept for an hour to two but I can't be sure. I was lying down and the time disappeared, and there were less thoughts swarming in my head, but I didn't feel any different otherwise. I only started to feel tired and had a proper sleep after about 38 hours.

WilD
WilD Dork
6/26/17 2:17 p.m.
mad_machine said: Expedition Portal is dangerous. That is all I have to say

Great... now I am infected. Goodbye productivity.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
6/26/17 3:47 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
Appleseed wrote: I've done 24 hours, 1 hour of sleep, then 39 hours. Otherworldly. You see, and think things you wouldn't believe. Bad things.
Ah so you know what I'm talking about. Towards the end I was more awake than I ever normally am when I should be asleep. After the 30th hour I might've slept for an hour to two but I can't be sure. I was lying down and the time disappeared, and there were less thoughts swarming in my head, but I didn't feel any different otherwise. I only started to feel tired and had a proper sleep after about 38 hours.

I've done this...A continuous, horrifying stream of absurd phantasmagoria, forcibly uploaded to your mind through the optic nerves, and YOU. HAVE. NO. CONTROL.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
6/26/17 4:10 p.m.
Stefan wrote: If there ever was a time to think about buying a stupidly big house, it's when the in-laws visit, that way I could escape or at least watch what I want on Tv....

But then they will NEVER LEAVE.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
6/26/17 4:35 p.m.
dculberson wrote:
Stefan wrote: If there ever was a time to think about buying a stupidly big house, it's when the in-laws visit, that way I could escape or at least watch what I want on Tv....
But then they will NEVER LEAVE.

Yes they will. They really, really hate the rainy weather here, so it would eventually grind them down.

Furious_E
Furious_E SuperDork
6/26/17 5:53 p.m.

berkeley this week right in the ass already.

Have a plant wide training thing today and tomorrow, which is actually great, aside from the fact that it is scheduled such that I basically can't take lunch unless I want to have it at 9 am or 4 pm. Figured there would be a lunch break, but nope. Guess I'll grab a few Power Bars (do they even still make those awful things?) tomorrow.

Left today's session to stumble into a meeting that was called last minute to announce our department is getting reorganized in with quality. No one seems to be in danger of losing a job, we're both short staffed already, but we also don't know what changes, if any, there might be to the breakdown in responsibilities between he departments. Also, this will be manager #6 and office #6 for me in just over 3.5 years at the company. Hooray for stability!

Tomorrow I am going in early to scramble and get stuff done before the aforementioned training because Supervisor Colton has once again left me until the 11th hour and put my project behind schedule. Why the hell can no one see that this guy is a completely incompetent fraud is beyond me. Hoping his new counterpart will expose his ineptitude.

Wednesday I'll have to leave the house at 230am to meet my coworker and make a flight to Minneapolis, where we might be walking into a complete hornet's nest of a situation. We fly back the same night and if I'm really lucky I'll be home by midnight, and that's barring any potential delays.

And the icing on the cake, my mom informs me today that their dog, whom they got while I was still in high school and I am still very much attached to, is having liver problems and the implication was not good. The rest of this E36 M3 is whatever, just normal work BS and most of it actually for the better, but few things legitimately upset me more than losing a dog. Really not ready for that one

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
6/26/17 5:55 p.m.

I have a different rant about sleep. Exhausted all day at work, catch a nap whenever possible. In my own little world on the drive home. Get home, go to bed, and can't freakin' sleep !! WTF is up with that?

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
6/26/17 6:25 p.m.

been there, done that. came in on a sunday at noon, did two shows, and then took 18 freaking hours to load the show into three trucks. Got home at 6pm Monday. I honestly do not remember a thing past dawn

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
6/26/17 7:14 p.m.

I remember one time I was up for about 40 hours (school + work + gaming all night + school + work) and I was laying on the couch in one of those "too tired/wired to sleep" fugues and it was quiet, everyone else was asleep, and one of the cats was on my chest, and I'm looking at my reflection in the grandfather clock across the room, and in the reflection my legs are swinging all over the place, but my legs are still, and I look at the reflection and sure enough in the reflection my knees are flapping like birds' wings, and then the cat looks at me and puts one of his paws firmly on my chin as if to say "STOP DOING THAT", and I REALLY started to question if what was real was what I felt was real or what I was seeing in the reflection.

Also I was imagining hearing things but it was bleeding through somewhere in my brain and it sounded like I was actually hearing it. It was this crazy scene where I knew I was imagining it, but it sounded to me like I was hearing it for real.

So I went to bed.

Toymanswife
Toymanswife Reader
6/26/17 7:31 p.m.

Did this once. I had to drive out of New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina. I have several points that I flat out don't remember. It took me 24 hours to get to Birmingham which is normalmy a 5 hour trip.

RevRico
RevRico SuperDork
6/26/17 9:53 p.m.

The little one learned how to say "no" this weekend while she was at her mom's. I really think I'd rather her be swearing.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/26/17 9:55 p.m.

Work cuts hours because management can't manage and we have to eat it so they can still get their bonuses. From 8 hours a day to 6. But we still need you to get all your work done.

Umm...no. If it takes 8 hours of busting my ass to get X done, you now get 3X/4. It's math, and it's absolute. I'm not killing myself so you can put another gallon of Jet A in the corporate jet.

berkeley you.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/27/17 5:01 p.m.

Owwwww...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/xITZDU5QuDE

Rail went up under my ribs.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
6/27/17 7:13 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Work cuts hours because management can't manage and we have to eat it so they can still get their bonuses. From 8 hours a day to 6. But we still need you to get all your work done. Umm...no. If it takes 8 hours of busting my ass to get X done, you now get 3X/4. It's math, and it's absolute. I'm not killing myself so you can put another gallon of Jet A in the corporate jet. berkeley you.

we are going through that ourselves. Not so much they want to cut our hours, but they are trying to kerb "excessive overtime" so we do not get our 'on demand' casuals, and they are doing their utmost to keep us from accruing any OT. For some reason this does not stop my lead (manager) from working 6 days a week, 10 hours a day (especially troublesome when the other leads do not seem to need to put those kinds of hours in.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/27/17 7:59 p.m.

If you feed the pets from the dining table, they WILL BERKING LEARN TO COME BUG YOU AT BERKING DINNER TIME. They are animals. They do not know what an appropriate length of time is, or how to wait politely. You have taught them that if you have food on your plate, they will get some in their bellies. I've been telling you this for 20 years. I understand that our human children are grown up and no longer eat dinner with us, but that doesn't make the cats into kids.

You have pretty much forfeit your right to complain that they pester you at dinner time. You may note that they don't berking bother ME, do they.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
6/27/17 9:35 p.m.

one of my neighbors has one of those cheap above ground pools for his kids. The pump sounds like it is chewing on rocks. He leaves the pump running 20 out of 24 hours, occasionally 24 straight. I can see it from my bedroom window.

I am seriously ponding getting my circuit tester our and popping the breaker on him

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
6/27/17 9:50 p.m.

Finally finished killing my quarter inch drive snap on ratchet so its added too the pile of snap on tools that will never be fixed. Really wish younger me would have been smarter about tool purchases!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
D14kZH6gk7WkHm0I3Vela0Yfry6DHAtjBEaBDSiHPrSK7L8iYJcgaAugxaloZAou