Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
10/13/17 4:52 p.m.

Sort of like the guys the tool guys complain about, who show off their new tattoo or the 22" mud tires they just got for their truck, but mm I'm a little short this week, can we let our agreed-upon payment slide til next week?

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
10/13/17 4:55 p.m.

I literally busted my ass today at work.  My boot got stuck in a pallet and my choices were to fall sideways and probably snap my ankle, or fall backwards even more gracelessly.  I fell backwards.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
10/13/17 8:45 p.m.

In reply to conesare2seconds :

company I worked for had a German national come work for us. While he settled in, he could not drive and did not own a car. He would ride the train in an hour early and rollerblade the last mile to work. He did leave 15 minutes early, but that was because the next train was almost 2 hours later. So when we all rolled in at 9, he had already been a work 45 minutes getting stuff done.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/13/17 10:33 p.m.

I have zero faith in any " institution " owning up to expectations. Doctors, insurance, police.  They will all let you down.  That's our only guarantee. You're getting berkeleyed. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
10/13/17 10:47 p.m.
mad_machine said:
Appleseed said:

People mistake my kindness for weakness.

I hear you there. I am an introvert by nature and quite empathic, so I become an easy "mark" for some people thinking I am a push over.

Help a man one time and he will know who to ask a second time.

Personally my life was significantly easier when I was just a raging shiny happy person too anyone who could not do the job. Meds stabilized me out and well they fixed the growth in my head.

Also I worked like a dog this week, month and year. I am tired of work and I want to get out of the house. Wife wants to curl up and read for hours when she gets hone and well I am tired of it. Not sure why I am working when al she wants to do is sit and be quiet. I want to go out and get into trouble.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun UltraDork
10/13/17 11:05 p.m.

It’s a week out from the Challenge, and tomorrow is the last pretty much complete day I will have to work on the car. There’s of course an industrial-sized laundry list of things to be done... and I need to get another set of wheels/tires for it. Of course there aren’t any reasonably priced ones nearby- but there IS a really cheap set... over an hour away in Louisville. So either I can go get the tires and lose 3+ hours of time working on the truck, or get the work I need to done but not have the second set of wheels I need and have to pay $300+ to get decent tires on the wheels I have for the drive down to the Challenge. 

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
10/14/17 12:01 a.m.

after 9 at night, if I make any sorts of noise, I will have an officer on my step telling me to stop or I risk a fine. The city has been working on the streets at night not to bother traffic, so all night I get to hear jack hammers, trucks backing up, and a giant grinding machine.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
10/14/17 2:34 a.m.

The most common complaint I get at work is "Everyday the bus makes me late for work".  About 85% of the time it's on a route that is running well.  If you are late every single day you should probably leave earlier.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/14/17 7:08 a.m.

My kid has band competition today. I had to have her at school at 5:00 am. I've been back home since 5:30, can't fall back asleep. The work I want to do is outside and makes noise. By the time I can start that I'll need to head back out to the next kids basketball game. I woke up at 4:00 and won't get to start working until noon if I'm lucky. At least I get to drive the Miata I'm babysitting. 

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
10/14/17 8:43 a.m.
Wall-e said:

The most common complaint I get at work is "Everyday the bus makes me late for work".  About 85% of the time it's on a route that is running well.  If you are late every single day you should probably leave earlier.

I live 12ish miles from work. On a really good day I can be in the parking garage in 17 minutes. Usually it is about 20 to 25. I drive myself (it would take an hour and some to get to work otherwise) and I leave an hour early so I can get to work early, get myself in order, and be ready to start when the magical hour comes around.

Only one of my co-workers does this. The rest all come rushing in at the very last minute. Thankfully we do not get written up for being late when the inevitable accident of bridge opening occurs or they would be getting into trouble quite often

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
10/14/17 9:12 a.m.

Dear GM engineer that designed the rear brakes on the Chevy Colorado,

Is that the best you could come up with. The berkeleying brakes on SanFord are a better design and they were built in the 50s. Berkeley you, your wife, your kids, and your parents. Doubly so for your parents since they brought your sorry ass into this world. There is a special place in hell for shiny happy people like you. May you have spend etirnity having to service your own designs.  shiny happy person.

That is all.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
10/14/17 10:28 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

Isn't there just, like, two springs and that's it?  It's one of the simplest brake ideas ever.

Rant:  Broke the headphone jack on my laptop, the day that I receive a text that white smoke was seen over Shropshire and a new episode of Project Binky was coming out.

Good:  Microcenter had a cheap USB audio dongle.  Also Pocky, which was unexpected and delicious.

Rant:  Connected the dongle, which came with no instructions, and fussed around with some arcane settings to discover that the problem wasn't the laptop, it's the headphones themselves.  I should have bought another pair while I was at Microcenter.

Good:  Have a spare set of headphones.

Rant:  Youtube, inexplicably, will now not load any videos for me, either on the site or embedded in forums, after I removed the USB dongle and plugged my new headphones in.

Good:  Youtube Downloader, however, downloaded Episode 16 just fine.

Can I go now?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
10/14/17 10:55 a.m.

Its popular to rant about the size of new trucks, and justhow big they are.

This is a rant about the size of new trucks. 

Im using dads 06 megacab 3/4 ton diesel truck to pull the race car trailerto Gainesville.  It hasnt been washed or driven much since spring, as theyve been out west in the rv.

So i go to wash it.

How the berkeley are you supposed to hand wash the center 5 inches of the truck? I was on a 6 foot ladder to even get tjat much of it.

What the berkeley???

Guess ill stick with my lowered minitrucks.....

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
10/14/17 12:01 p.m.

The Miata stranded me on the PCH. Minor rant because there was a shop that was both open and within 5 miles (damn basic AAA membership), and there are worse places to break down, but still. 

I'm mostly annoyed because I was on my way to the last Canepa cars and coffee of the year, and now instead I'm sitting around waiting for a ride back home. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
10/14/17 12:04 p.m.

In reply to Knurled :

It's the stupid design of the emergency brake cable and lever. Why would you make the ebrake lever and return spring part of the berkeleying shoe, to be replaced every time the shoes are replaced. It takes a 5 minute job and turns it into a pain in the absolute ass to do. Trying to collapse a 8" long 1/2" diameter spring so you can hook the berkeleying cable back up is a 2.5 man job and all I have a me and a son. 

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
10/14/17 12:12 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

Oh.... those brakes.

That's SOP for a lot of Japanese drum setups, and the Colorado screams "This is all Isuzu's fault" in design.

The trick to doing them is to get a pair of side cutters.  Wedge one between the end of the spring and the cable end, then use the other one to pry against the first pair.  Grip, shift, pry, grip, shift, pry, until the spring is up enough to slap the arm in place.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
10/14/17 1:32 p.m.

Day 5 of no walking, how the hell do people enjoy spending this much time on there ass? 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
10/14/17 1:46 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce :

We have one today at Illinois State University - cool except for the 11pm awards and the 2 hour drive home.  

Next week the kids have one in Indianapolis on the Colts field.   Really cool except that 11pm awards and the 3 hour drive home.  

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
10/14/17 2:01 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

I completely agree about drum brakes.  From roughly 1960 until the late 80's, all three domestic manufacturers had a pretty decent, trouble free, functional self adjusting rear drum brake setup.  They gradually shifted to newer designs of drums that didn't work as well, followed by rear disc systems that worked even worse unless you were a very aggressive braker, and then back to an even worse drum system. The brakes that GM used, that had #242 shoes, was as close to flawless as you could ask for.  Barring axle seal or wheel cylinder leakage, they just worked.   

I would very much like to find the engineer at GM who came up with that miserable single horseshoe spring, and the park brake cable design, and beat him slowly to death over a course of weeks, all the while feeding and perhaps even giving blood transfusions to keep him alive whilst I continue to torture.

Well, maybe that's extreme, but I sure would give him a darn stern talking-to!

One last comment- Having worked on European vehicles back in the olden days, I came up with this riddle:  Do you know why German cars got disc brakes and fuel injection earlier than American cars?  Its because they couldn't build drum brakes and carburettors.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/14/17 5:50 p.m.

I didn't tell you that your front tires are wearing out at the sholders, because you perpetually complain about being broke, especially when you're buying shoes and pants and shirts you don't need. I knew you'd be mopy  and bitchy all day because if it. 

Now I'm the shiny happy person because I explained what needs to happen and even the crutch of flipping the tires on the rims costs a bit of money. It's a 16 year old Korean SUV that you've done zero maintenance on. What did you expect?

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
10/15/17 10:21 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I can change the car in your rant and it's like we're talking about the exact same person...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
10/15/17 1:08 p.m.

Every filesystem feature that's been added to Windows after NT is held together with toothpicks and bubblegum. Want to learn this for yourself? Try to build a file-level backup solution that would enable a bare-metal restore, as has been possible on Unix-like OSes since approximately forever, most recently and trivially with rsync. All will be revealed.

Related topic that I will probably update soon:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/best-windows-whole-system-live-backup-solution/128136/page1/

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
10/15/17 7:20 p.m.

Last spring I took two weeks off for vacation and work neglected to pay me for one of them. It was not a big deal, It did not hurt me financially so I ate it and rolled the missing PTO into a fall vacation. Unlike spring, this one straddled a pay day (we get paid every other week) and they once again, did not use my PTO for the first week of my vacation. While it does not hurt me, I was looking forward to making a big purchase for my boat and now I have to put it off a couple of weeks.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
10/16/17 10:22 a.m.

I really hate Photobucket, I was looking from some old build and projects forums and thinking is showing angry

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/16/17 3:26 p.m.

Seriously, you douchebag?  You left me 2-1/2 sheets of TP?  And the drawer of the restroom cabinet was open an inch, which tells me you looked, found none, and then opted not to walk the extra 10 feet to the supply closet and get more for the next person.

This wouldn't piss me off so much if you weren't the same self-absorbed tool who ties up the only can in the office for half an hour every afternoon.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VUu3fOjLPNpIkqVhs28Ag0Lns7K5yJYZhnXoxJxwISOYdi4q86BM1AxpTtcwNMM8