slefain
slefain PowerDork
12/11/17 9:23 a.m.

I am coining a new term:

husbanticipation - the ability after years of marriage to anticipate that you will be yelled at for something soon, but you don't know when or what about.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
12/11/17 9:35 a.m.

First thing I thought of when I heard of the explosion was Wally. Glad you and your co-workers are ok

Wally
Wally MegaDork
12/11/17 9:45 a.m.

It’s a relief that we seem to keep getting inept bombers. 

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
12/11/17 10:38 a.m.

Day 13 of my package from florida being bounced around. Im losing all faith in the postal service.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' Dork
12/11/17 1:08 p.m.

All I have is an old-school cold and yet I can’t get anything done at work.

I didn’t take a sick day as I’ve already been out a lot due to my dislocated thumb and now I feel really guilty…I want to tackle something but I just can’t, I’m such a baby.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/11/17 1:12 p.m.
dropstep said:

Day 13 of my package from florida being bounced around. Im losing all faith in the postal service.

We're having a hard time with UPS and a package in Florida. It is 200 miles away; the person who ordered it put the wrong address (1200 Main street instead of 120 Main street). Everything else was correct, including town and zip code, but somehow it is sitting 200 miles away, delivered to the wrong person. And we don't know who or why. Berk UPS I guess.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
12/11/17 1:17 p.m.
slefain said:

I am coining a new term:

husbanticipation - the ability after years of marriage to anticipate that you will be yelled at for something soon, but you don't know when or what about.

Will have to remember that. SWMBO gets after me for not helping and then complains and redoes whatever I do to help her.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
12/11/17 1:21 p.m.
mtn said:
dropstep said:

We're having a hard time with UPS and a package in Florida. It is 200 miles away; the person who ordered it put the wrong address (1200 Main street instead of 120 Main street). Everything else was correct, including town and zip code, but somehow it is sitting 200 miles away, delivered to the wrong person. And we don't know who or why. Berk UPS I guess.

Mine was adressed correctly and all. Yet it got sent from columbus ohio to denver and back. Then lost again for 3 days in columbus. Now its back in transit. Hopefully to me and not denver again.

wae
wae Dork
12/11/17 1:31 p.m.
dropstep said:
mtn said:
dropstep said:

Mine was adressed correctly and all. Yet it got sent from columbus ohio to denver and back. Then lost again for 3 days in columbus. Now its back in transit. Hopefully to me and not denver again.

My mother-in-law had a small fraud issue going on where someone ordered something, charged it to her card, and shipped it to her address.  Before it could be delivered, the scofflaws called FedEx and re-routed the shipment to the other side of the country.  Since the police were now involved, they told FexEx that this was now a criminal matter and that they should, under no circumstances, deliver the package to anyone who isn't a police officer.  After confirming that they would hold the package for law enforcement. they just delivered it anway.

My rant:  I cannot tell you how much capacity is required in a remote office if you cannot tell me how much data is in that remote office.  You told me there was 1.6TiB of fileshare.  I sized a 4TiB system to accomodate that.  Why are you now asking me if "the rest" of the data will fit?  And if you, the one who owns that data and has access to that data, do not know how much data is there, how can I, the guy that is simply trying to design something to your specifications, possibly know if the 4 TiB is large enough to hold "the rest of the data"?  Just tell me what the berkeley you want and I'll build it for you, but my name is not Kreskin!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
12/11/17 5:17 p.m.

Drove an hour to meet a guy with a lot of vintage gauges he is selling on offerup. Guarenteed sale. No haggling.  Worked around his schedule. 

And he wasn't here.

So i messaged him again. 

Son is in hospital and hes there.

My rant? I skipped dinner with the family for it. Hope that the guys son gets better.  Guess ill eat truck stop food.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
12/11/17 5:30 p.m.

In reply to dropstep :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxX1kA-nhZk

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
12/11/17 6:25 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Drove an hour to meet a guy with a lot of vintage gauges he is selling on offerup. Guarenteed sale. No haggling.  Worked around his schedule. 

And he wasn't here.

So i messaged him again. 

Son is in hospital and hes there.

My rant? I skipped dinner with the family for it. Hope that the guys son gets better.  Guess ill eat truck stop food.

Just for follow-up the guy showed up I bought the gauges and dinner sucked

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
12/11/17 6:32 p.m.

I've been on this planet a decent amount of time. I've worked for and been employed by many different people. I've also gone to school with many different people. Now for the first and second time, two people I work with I have had to tell them to stay away from me. They are seriously that freakin' crazy, I don't want them around me. The job search I should have started 6 months ago starts now.  Sucks, I don't hate this job.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/11/17 7:04 p.m.

I'm losing my ability to remember. I saw my soldering iron a while back. I even made comment by saying, "Oh! Hey. There's my soldiering iron." Can't find it. More worrisome is the GoPro. Broke part of the arm this fall and... I did bring it in? Did I set it in the garage? is it with my motorcycle stuff? Why. Can't I. Remember?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/11/17 7:09 p.m.

How hard is it to put things in the dishwasher so they won't flip over???

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/11/17 7:13 p.m.

Did I remember to unload the dishwasher?

wae
wae Dork
12/12/17 7:39 a.m.

What is with this term "maker"?  Who in the world thought that we needed a new word to describe what man has been doing since we fell out of the trees and started banging rocks and twigs together?  When I was a kid, we didn't have "makers" we just had people and people did stuff and we didn't need a stupid word for it.  And no, I am not putting a bunch of tools and equipment in a single location to call it a "makerspace".  There's no such thing.  It's called a workshop.  It's always been called a workshop.  That's just what it is and it doesn't need a new name.  You want to call it something else?  Okay, we already have another name for it:  "shop".  Just stop with all this maker and makerspace nonsense already.

And get your stupid cat off my lawn.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UltraDork
12/12/17 7:46 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Did I remember to unload the dishwasher?

For some reason I'm reminded of this...

And I've had this problem my whole life... drives SWMBO absolutely nuts.

My rants....

For some reason I can't embed a Youtube video to link to a specific time. That's annoying.

Also, apparently I was snoring really badly last night and SWMBO couldn't sleep very well and is in a bad mood. Every time this happens I remind her to just wake me up and make me turn over or shift position so I'm not snoring (usually only happens on my back or if I'm really congested, on my side) but she always says she doesn't want me losing sleep too- despite the fact (which I've told her) that most of the time I don't wake up enough to even remember her doing so.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
12/12/17 8:03 a.m.

Just wrote a long, very cool post on another thread.  Hit post aaaaannnd it's gone.  berkeleying system just ate it, informed me there was an "error" and that I need to go back.  Thanks software, good job.

I swear if cars failed as often as computer software nobody would even make it to work and the roadways would be littered with dead cars like an apocalyptic wasteland.  And before you computer wonks jump to defend your babies, just don't.  I just want to use the GD thing, I don't care or want to know how the digital sausage is made.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
12/12/17 8:16 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

My work desktop often does the same thing.  I figured it was filters at work trying to ruin my day.  

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UltraDork
12/12/17 8:20 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

I learned a looooong time ago when dealing with my work computer(s) that if I want to type up a really long post, I do it in Notepad and then copy/paste it into the browser- halfway because of concerns of it losing it and halfway because some sites lag BADLY when typing (thankfully not here, but several of the T-D sites do).

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
12/12/17 8:57 a.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

Just wrote a long, very cool post on another thread.  Hit post aaaaannnd it's gone.  berkeleying system just ate it, informed me there was an "error" and that I need to go back.  Thanks software, good job.

I swear if cars failed as often as computer software nobody would even make it to work and the roadways would be littered with dead cars like an apocalyptic wasteland.  And before you computer wonks jump to defend your babies, just don't.  I just want to use the GD thing, I don't care or want to know how the digital sausage is made.

Try hitting Back on the browser when this happens. Often your browser will recover the post. Also it's good practice to hit Ctrl-A Ctrl-C before posting. If it disappears, you can paste it back.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/12/17 8:57 a.m.
wlkelley3 said:
slefain said:

I am coining a new term:

Will have to remember that. SWMBO gets after me for not helping and then complains and redoes whatever I do to help her.

Once in a fit of annoyance, I told DW "You can either ask me to take something off your plate, or tell me to do it and exactly how you want it done.  NOT BOTH."

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/12/17 9:16 a.m.

I am ready for today to be over especially living in Alabama.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/12/17 9:22 a.m.

Just got the credit card bill. My wife gets her hair "done" twice a year--otherwise it is just like $50 every two months or so. But this was one of the two times a year. $251. WTF. Seriously, I told her I love it and yes I like the highlights, but honestly, I wouldn't have known she'd had it done, and I really can't tell much difference in the hair style itself. Just a little shorter. What a racket.

I also wish she'd stop using makeup; I honestly think she looks better without it. But I've made the mistake of telling her that once before.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V6b2avsl57XX4r8EfwHhtgz8TbD65ObZnd2wcJd8l7MFOajIgNoO2k5xQHOXiTEE