JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
12/11/17 12:16 p.m.
dculberson said:

I got several over one hour blocks of sleep last night for the first time in a while. I love my baby but she neeeeeds to learn how to sleep. If last night is any indication our efforts are finally bearing some fruit.

Have you tried reasoning with her?

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/11/17 1:16 p.m.

In reply to JamesMcD :

Yes, it works really well.

NickD
NickD UltraDork
12/12/17 10:52 a.m.

Whoohoo, SCCA Pro Tour is coming to my chapter's venue at Seneca Army Depot this coming year.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/13/17 12:52 a.m.

Thank you Alabama. 

NickD
NickD UltraDork
12/13/17 3:03 p.m.

Did some light snow hooning in my Subaru Baja for the first time. Those Continental Extreme Winter Contact SI tires kick serious ass.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/13/17 3:14 p.m.
dculberson said:

Thank you Alabama. 

You are welcome.

RevRico
RevRico UltraDork
12/13/17 4:48 p.m.

Just paid my phone bill for last month. $34.32 thanks project fi

Wally
Wally MegaDork
12/13/17 9:49 p.m.

I've continuing to corrupt more young people.  A few weeks ago the wife and i went out with one of her friends who transferred to a new office.  That office has a secret Santa with a $15.00 cap.  She hates doing them and was looking for a way out.  While we were in Home Goods there was a comically large jar of olives for $14.99.  I said a huge jar of olives could probably ruin her secret Santa.  She kept laughing about it and today she sent the wife a pic of her newly purchased jumbo olive jar with a nice bow and name tag.  We also got a call from my nephew.  For years I've been exposing him to stand up comedy and last month for his 18th birthday we took him to a local club to see Bobby Collins.  The kid had a great time is still talking about it.  He called to see if we knew that Colin Quinn was going to be here in a few months.  The wife already has three tickets hanging on the fridge for us.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/18/17 9:34 a.m.

Just sent my last mortgage payment in this morning.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/18/17 9:36 a.m.

Boss came in this morning with a 27 inch monitor for me. I am now using a 25 inch monitor, 27 inch, and my laptop. 3 screens FTMFW.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/18/17 10:56 a.m.
mtn said:

Boss came in this morning with a 27 inch monitor for me. I am now using a 25 inch monitor, 27 inch, and my laptop. 3 screens FTMFW.

Nice!  I'm rocking a 27" on the left, a 32" on the right, and a 19" rotated vertically in between.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/18/17 11:42 a.m.
Duke said:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

We have 14 more to go.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/18/17 12:38 p.m.
alfadriver said:
Duke said:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

We have 14 more to go.

Very jealous of the both of you. I only have 346 left...

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/18/17 2:09 p.m.
alfadriver said:
Duke said:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

We have 14 more to go.

Nice!  That will be done before you know it.  Keep up the good work.  I don't plan to go on a hookers-and-blow bender, but I do plan to replace my garage doors, renovate the bathrooms, and some other minor stuff.  The rest is going into retirement funding for the final sprint.

mtn said:

Very jealous of the both of you. I only have 346 left...

It seems insurmountable, but you'll get there.  We had our original mortgage all but paid off in 2009, but we basically refinanced the original loan amount in order to do renovations.  Now that is paid off too.

There have been discussions, with valid points on both sides, about the desirablility of carrying a mortgage at low interest (and investing capital elsewhere) versus paying it off quickly (and ending that liability).  If your goal is to pay the mortgage off as soon as possible, what we found always worked for us was to double our principal portion of the payment every month.  At the beginning, that may only be an extra $150-200 each month, but the more principal you can send back early, the less interest it will cost you, and the quicker you can pay it off.

When we bought this house (our first and only) in 1993, I was 28.  We put 15% down and took a 30-year mortgage of about $125k to keep the payment where we could afford it with some headroom, but from payment #1 we started doubling the principal.  After about 10 years of extra principal payments, we had enough equity that we could refinance the remaining 20 years of the original loan into a new 15-year mortgage.  That lowered our rate, our monthly payment, AND the total repayment amount.

Then we did the extra-principal thing again, and got that loan down to a balance under $10,000 in about 7 years, or 2010.  That's when we did our renovations and borrowed $150,000 (including payoff of the old balance) on a 10-year mortgage.  Principal doubling has let us pay that off in 7 years.

The nice thing about this method is that if you have a tight month, you can just revert to the normal payment, since the doubling is voluntary.  But I would estimate that we've saved ourselves something like $50,000 in interest over the various loans.  I know it saved us about $18,000 on this last one.

It's still been 24 years.  But I'm hoping to have another 24 years rent/mortgage-free.

Karacticus
Karacticus HalfDork
12/20/17 9:15 a.m.

Well, life is good for us, or at least a lot better than it is right now for some other folks!

Last night SWMBO was stopped on the road waiting for oncoming traffic to clear to turn left into her veterinary clinic.  This is a two lane rural highway with a 55 mph speed limit-- on the basis of not E36 M3ting where I eat, I travel it at about 60, 70+ is not uncommon.

She sees pickup truck coming up behind her fast, he piles into brakes, moves to left lane and runs into the oncoming traffic right in front of my wife's truck.  

Fire trucks and EMS arrive.

No fatalities, at least not at time of the incident.  Front seat passengers in the oncoming vehicle left on stretchers, back seat occupants walked to the ambulance.  Unsure of condition of pickup truck driver's condition except my wife says she heard him vigorously shouting/swearing.  Both vehicles appear totaled.

This is at least the third incident in the area over the last few years, the first where my wife was present.  

She is tired of continually having to clean car parts out of the ditch in front of her property though.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
12/20/17 8:34 p.m.

I finally figured out how to kill berkeleying samsung pay on my phone. Last update re-enabled it and planted a quick launch bar on my home screen and that really pissed me off. I don't want your bloatware on my phone sucking my battery life and turning on permissions to things without my ok. I don't need or want berkeleying samsung pay. The latest update also eliminated the option to disable it in the app settings, so while I could "force stop" it, it would pop that quick launch tab back up in about 5 minutes. 

So I went digging. The internets tells me I need to root my phone in order to get rid of it, but I wasn't convinced that was necessary to get rid of this thing. I started scoping out the files on the phone, focusing on ones that had been recently modified. I found two files with "spay" in the filename that were last modified on the day I did the update. Bingo. Deleted. Buh-bye. 

Done! The quick launch bar has not come back in over 24 hours. Nothing else seems to have been affected. I know the app is still on my phone but since it can no longer enable itself I has a happy. Happy happy joy joy. Until next time. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
12/21/17 8:40 a.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

I finally figured out how to kill berkeleying samsung pay on my phone. Last update re-enabled it and planted a quick launch bar on my home screen and that really pissed me off. I don't want your bloatware on my phone sucking my battery life and turning on permissions to things without my ok. I don't need or want berkeleying samsung pay. The latest update also eliminated the option to disable it in the app settings, so while I could "force stop" it, it would pop that quick launch tab back up in about 5 minutes. 

So I went digging. The internets tells me I need to root my phone in order to get rid of it, but I wasn't convinced that was necessary to get rid of this thing. I started scoping out the files on the phone, focusing on ones that had been recently modified. I found two files with "spay" in the filename that were last modified on the day I did the update. Bingo. Deleted. Buh-bye. 

Done! The quick launch bar has not come back in over 24 hours. Nothing else seems to have been affected. I know the app is still on my phone but since it can no longer enable itself I has a happy. Happy happy joy joy. Until next time. 

Awesome!

(Though, that is why I refuse to buy Samsung. Too much bloatware and modification to the OS.)

Furious_E
Furious_E SuperDork
12/21/17 12:55 p.m.

Got surprise free pizza for lunch and won $100 on a scratch off ticket! 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
12/21/17 3:07 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

I just mailed my last payment in this month too.   

Now the wife wants to replace the 2003 Trailblazer.   

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
12/30/17 7:48 p.m.

The six year old will now eat bread with “crust.” Making pb&j just got 90% easier.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
12/30/17 9:00 p.m.

Three days ago I had a really dumb idea. I've been fabricobbling on it for the last two days and it works wonderfully without having to remake any of the brackets or scrapping the whole thing and starting over. I'm berkeleying ecstatic!

Now I just have to make it pretty.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
12/30/17 10:53 p.m.
Furious_E said:

Got surprise free pizza for lunch and won $100 on a scratch off ticket! 

Did you buy two cases of beer and a tank of gas with it?

RevRico
RevRico UltraDork
12/31/17 10:56 a.m.

The original Three Stooges are on IFC for the next few hours..

Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
1/3/18 11:44 a.m.

Very minor win here.

We're renovating lab space at a local University and the owner has supplied some equipment. I had to produce an electrical change notice to instruct the contractor what and where to tie these things in. I managed to spell every word correctly including formaldehyde, effluent and chromatography.  I r really bed spellar so this is rare.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
1/3/18 2:43 p.m.

2nd shift guy came through!

Heat is back on in the shop at a very comfortable 68*!

(See Minor Rant from yesterday)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A7ByYQN2dq46v5bKSMZMKGcWHmnCXKdXcwf1LBM67Nmo51dGTLXvO2cZoafXfXFS