1 2 3
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
8/16/17 12:41 p.m.

Can our welders look at the sun with their helmet on? Will they see anything? They expect a large traffic jam in southern Illinois and all hotels are sold out.

I need to panic more.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/16/17 12:42 p.m.

Yup

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEhelp/safety.html

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/16/17 12:54 p.m.

I read that a #14 welding lens is good, but they are impossible to find.

RevRico
RevRico SuperDork
8/16/17 12:57 p.m.
NASA said: One of the most widely available filters for safe solar viewing is a number 14 welder's glass, available through welding supply outlets.

I didn't know they went that high. My mask goes 9-12. I'm glad I looked though, I thought my torch goggles would be sufficient, but at shade 5, I guess not.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/16/17 12:57 p.m.

I'm going to Door County. Wrong way for it. I should probably buy some glasses for it.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
8/16/17 12:59 p.m.
wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
8/16/17 1:02 p.m.

When and where is the best place to view the eclipse?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/16/17 1:04 p.m.

BTW, there's another eclipse in 2024 that passes over Toledo. That one, we may and go experience the full stuff, since it's so close by.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/16/17 1:11 p.m.

The Menards house brand of welding helmet (PerforMax) goes to 13. Bonus is that I needed a welding helmet anyways!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/16/17 1:12 p.m.

I'm in Columbia SC.

My plan for Monday is to not be here.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
8/16/17 1:41 p.m.

I'm going to sneak up on the roof at work and watch it. I'm going to blast Dark Side of the Moon and let people try to figure out where it's coming from.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/16/17 1:42 p.m.

My goal is watch the eclipse with the top down and pantera turned up on some back road near a lake while doing paperwork.

D2W
D2W Reader
8/16/17 2:17 p.m.

I heard 7-11 sells glasses for the eclipse. At our local one they were keeping them behind the counter and my friend had to ask for them. $2 for 2 pair.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
8/16/17 2:21 p.m.

There will be all sorts of people with permanent eye damage on the 22nd.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
8/16/17 2:51 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: There will be all sorts of people with permanent eye damage on the 22nd.

If only that level of stupidity directly damaged their reproductive organs.

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
8/16/17 3:10 p.m.

I read the thread topic as "Mitsubishi Eclipse" and dutifully clicked it. Glad I stopped by though, never would have thought to bust out the welding helmet for this purpose.

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UberDork
8/16/17 3:19 p.m.

I'm planning welding mask with sunglasses or welding glasses supplement. I don't get the full eclipse in the south west, so probably need something even stronger.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
8/16/17 3:28 p.m.

I'm about 10 miles south of dead center in the totality stripe. The entire area is supposed to be a mad house. All the local hotels are 100% booked and have been for months. Even the campgrounds are full. There are expected to be a million additional people in the state.

The wife is stocking the pantry and refrigerator tomorrow because of the possibility of shortages. We are closed Monday, as well as the schools. Friday afternoon, I'm rolling into the house and turning off the welcome sign and staying home until Tuesday.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/16/17 3:54 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

Yeah, we will be closed too. 800 customers and 240 employees are gonna stay home because it will be dark.

Pretty much dead center in the totality stripe. I should have rented my place- I could have made a killing!

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
8/16/17 3:56 p.m.

I wish we were in the "Cone of Totality" mostly because I like saying Cone of Totality.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
8/16/17 3:59 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

We are closed because I don't want to deal with the idiots that will be on the road. I fully expect gridlock for a large part of the day.

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
8/16/17 4:03 p.m.

I own an Eclipse. Has a blown head gasket right now, but it's a fun car when it runs. No, it does not have a Cone of Totality. You're right, that is fun to say.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
8/16/17 5:10 p.m.

I was at Lowe's the other day and they had eclipse viewing glasses right at the checkout line. As I'm dealing with the cashier the mouth breather standing behind me picks them up and puts them on and starts freaking out that he can't see through them. Completely interrupts our conversation with " HEY LADY, WHY IN THE HELL CAN'T I SEE THROUGH THESE!?!?" she hands me back my change and mouths freaking idiot to me. I laughed and told him they were for blind people as I walked out.

The sad part is he had two kids

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/16/17 5:34 p.m.
SVreX wrote: In reply to Toyman01: Yeah, we will be closed too. 800 customers and 240 employees are gonna stay home because it will be dark. Pretty much dead center in the totality stripe. I should have rented my place- I could have made a killing!

Is it to let you see it or for other reasons?

Ford is having a viewing party a WHQ, but we are going home to watch.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
8/16/17 6:13 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: When and where is the best place to view the eclipse?

Have you been in a cave lately ? It's all over the internet. MSN has a really detailed track.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
05TPI04OKygmpOTuHlOONlXHKtf9Y5r25LnyD4tDVTFFwysOsMiaXoh6TSypuccf