1 2 3
pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
7/16/17 6:30 p.m.

I have 11 days without any work obligations, July 22 - August 3. I have use of a lake front cottage for part of the time. If I can get the right person to go with me I will take advantage of the situation. However, if I am going solo i don't think I will go there. I am currently considering 2 road trip options driving my Porsche 944 and I am open to all others.

Trip#1: Chesapeake bay ,Outer Banks area fishing for flounder. I also have a very good friend that lives in Richmond that I would like to visit. I would be driving interstates to Columbus Ohio then 2 lane road to Richmond.

Trip#2: Grand canyon Interstates to Kansas then 2 lane black top, I have a good friend in Chicago that I would visit on this trip.

I live in Michigan . I just want to go do something fun and interesting, if anyone can enlighten me to something that I have not considered please let me know.

Thanks, Braden

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
7/16/17 7:11 p.m.

The Banks are a great place to spend some time.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
7/16/17 7:13 p.m.

In reply to pilotbraden:

This sounds like an excellent plan. There are sure plenty of good driving roads and amazing scenery out west, but you're a 2-day drive through some pretty boring territory to get to Denver. How's the 944 after 10-hours in the saddle?

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
7/16/17 7:38 p.m.

Have you been to the Gilmore museum? Or if you have it can't hurt to go again. It's worth at least a half day stop if you can fit it into your travels.

https://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
7/16/17 7:49 p.m.

visit your good friend first or put it on the route, plan around it

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
7/16/17 8:32 p.m.

If you have a passport I would head north and drive around Lake Superior.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/16/17 8:42 p.m.

If for some reason you end up headed down Route 66 and end up in the OKC area, I'd be more than happy to take you out for some food and brewski's.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
7/16/17 8:53 p.m.

Here's a different thought. Go through your other thread and drive your way to a GRM hand shaking tour; perhaps on the way to see your good friend.
Put some faces to some names. Spend some time in some cool garages. Play with some fun cars.

I'm just a short way here is the Sandusky, OH area. We'll take the $2015 Challenge Q45 out and womp on it for a while.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
7/16/17 9:04 p.m.
John Welsh wrote: Here's a different thought. Go through your other thread and drive your way to a GRM hand shaking tour; perhaps on the way to see your good friend. Put some faces to some names. Spend some time in some cool garages. Play with some fun cars. I'm just a short way here is the Sandusky, OH area. We'll take the $2015 Challenge Q45 out and womp on it for a while.

I like this idea!

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/16/17 9:35 p.m.

I'm south of cleveland off 71 a couple hours north of columbus if you're doing 80 to 71.

There are some great roads from the ohio line to richmond. I would go through the laurel higlands. Enter PA via route 18 then put PawPaw WV in your GPS and take the backroads. Stop for the Paw Paw tunnel, take flashlights. Hit the Butcher Block Buffet in stephens city VA. Also I would try to do some of the Skyline Drive.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
7/17/17 7:42 a.m.

I'd alternate between interesting drives and hiking through some forests.

For example you could drive south you could visit the Natural Bridge in southeast Kentucky and then drive the Tail of the Dragon down in Deals Gap.

Spend some time out in nature, let the sun shine on your face, heal.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
7/17/17 8:07 a.m.

I should have an extra ticket or two to the indy and pirelli world challenge races at mid ohio the last weekend of july. Youre welcome to them if you want to make that a stop on your trip.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
7/17/17 8:42 a.m.

In reply to gearheadmb:

If I am anywhere nearby I will take you up on a ticket, Thank you

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
7/17/17 8:46 a.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen44:

I know where it is, I have been to a show there but I have never been in the museum. It some how slips by when I am in the area

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
7/17/17 8:57 a.m.

I like the meet the board members idea. I do plan to commune with nature as much as possible, perhaps combining hiking and fishing. I love wading a stream and catching a mess o' smallmouth bass or trout.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
7/17/17 9:01 a.m.
pilotbraden wrote: In reply to gearheadmb: If I am anywhere nearby I will take you up on a ticket, Thank you

Cool 937 is the area code, then 7ten 36twentysix.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
7/17/17 10:18 a.m.

I had held this advice off from your other thread so as to not seem crass but I'll put it out here anyway and you can act on the advice when you choose...

The easiest way to get over a woman is to get under another.

I think to myself that we likely all know a gal of "loose moral fiber" who might be helpful in this situation. Think of it as a national tour!

Of course, as a write this I come to the realization that I have no name currently stored in my phone who fits this description.
Look at me all "getting my life in order" and acting responsible.

I do however live right near the International (US and Canada) Shrine to Loose Moral Fiber. Sell out crowd gatherings of the faithful followers every weekend.

So, if you come this way, we're going to Lake Erie's South Bass Island and it's city of Put-In-Bay.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
7/17/17 10:38 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

That is a world famous place to "put it in". I have to agree that a romp is needed, I am suffering from dsb.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
7/17/17 12:03 p.m.
John Welsh wrote: I had held this advice off from your other thread so as to not seem crass but I'll put it out here anyway and you can act on the advice when you choose... The easiest way to get over a woman is to get under another. I think to myself that we likely all know a gal of "loose moral fiber" who might be helpful in this situation. Think of it as a national tour! Of course, as a write this I come to the realization that I have no name currently stored in my phone who fits this description. Look at me all "getting my life in order" and acting responsible. I do however live right near the International (US and Canada) Shrine to Loose Moral Fiber. Sell out crowd gatherings of the faithful followers every weekend. So, if you come this way, we're going to Lake Erie's South Bass Island and it's city of Put-In-Bay.

This. Also not wanting to be crass or appear unfeeling, but very much this.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
7/17/17 1:04 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad:

Carrie and I have a friend that has come over for dinner and the after dinner activities felt awkward at first. By the end of the evening we were wishing that Carrie was there, she would have enjoyed it.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
7/18/17 8:30 a.m.

It is looking like I am headed to Virginia next week. I want to change my timing belt before I leave and put front brakes on the car. I will be taking a couple of fishing poles, a small tent or tarp, a skillet, a dutch oven and a grate. The route is still to be determined. Richmond is my only set destination as of now. I do want to fish in the salt water, both near shore and from a boat. I also want to wade some rivers for smallmouth bass.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
7/18/17 8:42 a.m.

In reply to pilotbraden:

Well, we look forward to seeing you!

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie HalfDork
7/18/17 8:44 a.m.
pilotbraden wrote: I like the meet the board members idea. I do plan to commune with nature as much as possible, perhaps combining hiking and fishing. I love wading a stream and catching a mess o' smallmouth bass or trout.

There are a few of us in the Richmond area, we could put something together if you're up for it. Karts and beer maybe?

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
7/18/17 9:07 a.m.

In reply to szeis4cookie:

I think that is possible.

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
7/18/17 9:37 a.m.

In reply to pilotbraden:

You and I haven't had any interaction but I've followed your recent posts and really didn't know what to say that could help. I recently read the entire joke of the day thread and noticed how many you had posted. Just wanted to say that I'm glad it seems that your working through things.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ADSycf55RlTvJAr3iB45pNxouhTtmen9hj0Ea8Fdw0M8qMgrZsQfybHbjC0xJyvY