wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy Dork
6/25/17 11:59 a.m.

FAQ. it is at least a little funny.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/25/17 12:35 p.m.
iadr wrote:
SVreX wrote: While I agree with your sentiment regarding the statue, I also recognize the criticisms. It's not really an "addition" to the statuary- it is a defacing of it which completely undermines the artist's intent. The artist who created "Raging Bull" is more upset than anyone. It is the artistic equivalent of painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa. Plus, it wasn't done for social or altruistic reasons at all. It was created by a company for purely commercial purposes. They wanted attention, and are getting it. So, yes I like it, but I also understand why it is inappropriate.
I would say the artists original intent was to create something bigger than life, intimidating. It's unsubtle. Then, we now are caused to stop and realize that perhaps there is no such thing as too big to stand up to. We can then debate whether it is naivety or something more durable and wise which makes some believe they can stand up to anything. All probably said better by others elsewhere. But IMO an important bit different than the moustache analogy, even besides that fact the original is untouched. But I think we agree on the majority. I was not aware of the commercial aspect.

The trouble is, it inherently changes the meaning of the original piece of art. The addition of "Fearless Girl" turns the two into a single installation.

"Charging Bull" is unsubtle and was pro-capitalism, but inherently had its own critiques of the system as well. It is aggressive, dangerous, and wild. You don't know where it will go. But it was created and installed in the wake of a market crash in the 80's to symbolize the strength and resilience of the market and America.

Adding "Fearless Girl" turns it into a symbol of something violent and dangerous that needs to be stood up to. Is that a worthy sentiment? Sure. It is a worthy sentiment to create art about that. But it's kind of a shame to do so in a way that undoes the original meaning of another work of art.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/25/17 1:45 p.m.
iadr wrote: Well, not really about the art of the statues (honestly! - and nor did I mean unsubtle as a criticsm per se), ...but.... FWIW, I consider myself ardently pro-capitalism, but I wouldn't mind seeing a few boarded up windows on Wall street, so's to speak. Quite a few. In my lifetime. Anyone with me? (yes, very serious here) It's no knee jerk reaction; the position comes from my observations of real world macroeconomics, and a belief in wealth, even wealth that's not remotely evenly distributed. There a difference between that- and impoverishing millions who played by the rules, out of a sheer cult of personality disorder. (Encouraging a specific misuse of Keynsianism long after it proved a danger in said context, to prop up the "markets" at the cost of retirement funds, just as one example) Anyway, moving back to topic...

You and I generally agree. My issue is not with the sentiment, but rather with the execution that undermines the sentiment behind another existing piece of art. It's fine to have a message or belief you want to share. It's a problem to do so in such a way that undermines someone else's ability to share their message/belief.

(Well, I sort of have an issue with the message. I'd believe more in wise people shepherding the bull, rather than it being something inherently negative that must be stood up to.)

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/25/17 2:06 p.m.

In reply to iadr:

Fearless Girl is an advertisement.

"Fearless Girl was commissioned by investment firm State Street Global Advisors (SSgA) as an advertisement for an index fund which comprises gender-diverse companies that have a higher percentage of women among their senior leadership. The plaque below the statue states, "Know the power of women in leadership. SHE makes a difference," with "SHE" being both a descriptive pronoun and the fund's NASDAQ ticker symbol."

"Arturo Di Modica, who had installed Charging Bull in 1989, has asked that the statue of the girl be removed, arguing that the piece exploits his work for commercial purposes and alters the perception of the bull.[22] He has called Fearless Girl "an advertising trick" that he wants relocated, citing its political messaging.[23][1] On April 12, 2017, Di Modica and his attorney, former New York Civil Liberties Union director Norman Siegel, challenged city officials who let the Fearless Girl statue be installed.[24][25] Di Modica states the statue corrupts Charging Bull's artistic integrity by distorting the intent of his statue from "a symbol of prosperity and for strength" into a villain, and does so for SSgA's commercial gain.[26][27] Siegel said a lawsuit had not been filed as of yet.[24][25] Mayor de Blasio supported keeping the statue, tweeting that "Men who don't like women taking up space are exactly why we need the Fearless Girl.""

The Wiki article is not a bad read

I do apologize for chasing a rabbit in your thread. It's an interesting subject- probably deserves its own thread.

jere
jere HalfDork
6/25/17 2:50 p.m.

I would push what happens without peace symbolisms.

Like post apocalyptic scenes inside an a-bomb. Silhouettes of fallen cities, mushroom clouds or whatever. Or just do b&w of Little boy and fat man This way it stays in the era, and can have artist/social merit.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
6/25/17 3:02 p.m.

Maybe she should write it on her skin with a permanent Sharpie pen, and then wear it around for a few weeks to see how she likes it, as well has how others react to it.

Whenever I've thought about the idea of getting a tattoo, I tried to imagine some saying or image that I'd want to have on my body for the rest of my life but never came up with anything. What may make sense when you're 25 probably won't when you're 75.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
6/25/17 3:39 p.m.

If she has peace on one foot and wants to yang-out on the other, I like this:

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Dork
6/25/17 4:37 p.m.

You could buy her some socks.

If you google "Omega symbol body art" you'll likely see a zillion Omega Psi Phi fraternity arms branded with the Greek letter O.

How about:

Reminds me of one buddy's description for an ugly woman.. "I've seen prettier faces on a bottle of iodine".

travellering
travellering Reader
6/25/17 5:27 p.m.

Symbol for Ares, god of war. If she turns into a full on feminazi, also a simplified view of female internal anatomy.

Edit, carrying bad thoughts out way too far, if she has war on one foot and peace on the other, that means there's a lot to read between her legs....

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/25/17 7:13 p.m.

She's 19, she's going to get berkeley off. Let her make her mistake then she can get it covered when she's 28 and realizes she's been sending the wrong message for 9 years

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
6/25/17 7:19 p.m.

So, you have a friend who's a young beautiful woman and makes terrible decisions, you say?

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
6/25/17 7:54 p.m.

I know it's from a commercial movie but what about the Hunger Games three finger salute? That said I might not give the best advice. While in the Air Force my headset was painted with peace symbol on one side with an anarchy symbol on the other. When questioned by a Captain I explained that our job was to bring peace to anarchy. He begrudgingly accepted that.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
6/25/17 8:06 p.m.

In reply to Stampie:

In high school I wore a peace sign ear ring on one ear & anarchy symbol on the other one. It seemed to make sense to me back then...

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
6/25/17 8:07 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote:
Erich wrote: How about a bomb? A mushroom cloud? Skull?
These are good. Or skull and cross bones. Or some sort of hazard symbol:

Just so we are very very clear biohazard symbol and same with a few others means HIV positive in a lot of sub-cultures and is used so that you can find a partner who is as well. Walk carefully with that one.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/25/17 10:50 p.m.

From the OG Dodge Demon.

ronholm
ronholm Dork
6/25/17 11:09 p.m.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
6/26/17 5:29 a.m.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Dork
6/26/17 6:00 a.m.
ronholm wrote:

That's a good one.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/26/17 6:58 a.m.

The Peace Sign comes from semaphore. The letter D is made by flags at 12 & 6 oclock. N is made with flags at 5 & 7. Put a circle around something indicates "Total". Total N D. Total Nuclear Disarmament.

Obviously the opposite is a nuke device or symbol.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/26/17 7:20 a.m.
914Driver wrote: The Peace Sign comes from semaphore. The letter D is made by flags at 12 & 6 oclock. N is made with flags at 5 & 7. Put a circle around something indicates "Total". Total N D. Total Nuclear Disarmament. Obviously the opposite is a nuke device or symbol.

... which would mean she should have a symbol with lines at 3:00, 1:00, and 11:00. The semaphore for the letters "FU".

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
6/26/17 7:47 a.m.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
6/26/17 8:33 a.m.

Go full portrait:

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
6/26/17 9:14 a.m.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bustle.com/p/19-nevertheless-she-persisted-tattoos-that-celebrate-womens-tenacity-43564/amp

I'd suggest the "nevertheless she persisted" theme.

I think it is a great slogan for empowerment plus Berkeley off.

Not great art for it yet, but she could make a symbol.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/26/17 9:15 a.m.

I really hate tattoos.

That said, what about some variation of this?

Otherwise there are some great Bible verses which might do the trick

Nahum 1:6

1 Peter 5:8

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lVat2MliqbdEUztQR7OsXnLlrPxHA3KwlXlsLKSNyJTzEmztHbOow88Iv5PTF3hc