1 2 3
Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
6/25/17 10:18 a.m.

That's a toughie. Iconography for strength, and not taking any E36 M3. I also have misgivings, but feel like something with a bit more history and meaning than "berkeley off" would be an improvement. So in keeping with the request for ideas only:

Burrito
Burrito Dork
6/25/17 10:22 a.m.

Opposite of a peace sign?

I hope she enjoys her new Swastika tattoo...

Jcamper
Jcamper Reader
6/25/17 10:29 a.m.

She needs to have good responses when her future child starts asking questions about her tattoos. Remember this will include different questions as said child grows up. Jcamper

RevRico
RevRico SuperDork
6/25/17 10:33 a.m.

May I present the gonzo fist for consideration.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
6/25/17 10:39 a.m.

Maybe it's just me but I personally don't put much thought into what tattoos a person has. It's their own reasonings that led them to having whatever it is that is tattooed on them. To put it another way, I don't draw any conclusion about a person's character based on ink. Piece sign in one for and berkeley you on the other wouldn't make me question a person's credibility.

Exceptions to that rule are obviously hate symbols, gang tattoos or any tattoo on the head, face and neck.

Seriously, berkeley neck tattoos.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition SuperDork
6/25/17 10:42 a.m.

I suppose being classy isn't on her list of desirable traits.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
6/25/17 10:47 a.m.

In reply to Ransom:

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/25/17 10:57 a.m.

Makes me think of Full Metal Jacket:

Erich
Erich UltraDork
6/25/17 10:59 a.m.

How about a bomb? A mushroom cloud? Skull?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
6/25/17 11:01 a.m.
Ransom wrote: That's a toughie. Iconography for strength, and not taking any E36 M3. I also have misgivings, but feel like something with a bit more history and meaning than "berkeley off" would be an improvement. So in keeping with the request for ideas only:

I loved symbol long before it became popular with the Tea Party.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/25/17 11:05 a.m.

Perhaps an Omega. It is the symbol for electrical resistance.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
6/25/17 11:09 a.m.

Interesting. An image search for war and peace symbols tells me the as a species we should be about 99.99999% peaceful. There just isn't much symbolism that's "pro-war". The two that I can see balancing the peace symbol are either crossed swords or small block letters spelling "WAR".

Either one is better than a tatt saying "berkeley off".

As a vet I can tell you that the vast majority of us don't actually want war, but are willing to bring peace for those who want to coexist in a conflict free way. Put another way: "you start it, I finish it"

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/25/17 11:10 a.m.
Erich wrote: How about a bomb? A mushroom cloud? Skull?

These are good. Or skull and cross bones. Or some sort of hazard symbol:

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
6/25/17 11:11 a.m.
Beer Baron wrote: Makes me think of Full Metal Jacket:

We've got to try to keep it together until this peace craze blows over.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/KMEViYvojtY?rel=0

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
6/25/17 11:17 a.m.

You should ask her how much she likes working at the retirement home on third shift cleaning soiled sheets and under garments? One of my co-workers brother had "Suck my dick" tattooed on his forehead, that was the only job he could get untill he wised up and got the thing removed.

Paul

Nick (Bo) Comstock
6/25/17 11:19 a.m.
iadr wrote:
Nick (Bo) Comstock wrote: Maybe it's just me but I personally don't put much thought into what tattoos a person has. It's their own reasonings that led them to having whatever it is that is tattooed on them. To put it another way, I don't draw any conclusion about a person's character based on ink. Peace sign in one for and berkeley you on the other wouldn't make me question a person's credibility. Exceptions to that rule are obviously hate symbols, gang tattoos or any tattoo on the head, face and neck.
Well that is what she says. Credibility may be the wrong word- life history, judgement, maturity, impulse control? Question any of those at times due to ink? No? Seriously? (and yeah I do have ink. fwiw)

Honestly, no. Unless it's in a person's head, face or neck. I will judge the E36 M3 out of you for that, but I really try to not put people in boxes based on aesthetics.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/25/17 11:19 a.m.
iadr wrote:
Nick (Bo) Comstock wrote: Maybe it's just me but I personally don't put much thought into what tattoos a person has. It's their own reasonings that led them to having whatever it is that is tattooed on them. To put it another way, I don't draw any conclusion about a person's character based on ink. Peace sign in one for and berkeley you on the other wouldn't make me question a person's credibility. Exceptions to that rule are obviously hate symbols, gang tattoos or any tattoo on the head, face and neck.
Well that is what she says. Credibility may be the wrong word- life history, judgement, maturity, impulse control? Question any of those at times due to ink? No? Seriously? (and yeah I do have ink. fwiw)

I have no ink.

It depends on the situation. I might judge someone for an antagonistic tattoo that is clearly visible in a professional situation. An antagonistic tattoo on the feet that I can see when wearing sandals at the beach? Not so much. Just so long as she doesn't wear strappy shoes into business meetings.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/25/17 11:23 a.m.
iadr wrote: Hmm. I'd have to check out what other connotations it has (frats etc). Oh, whoops, there's that Lululemon clothes brand that has co-opted it, probably putting it out of the running here. Simply "Resist" facing out would tell people partly - or in a very vaguely general way, what she wants them to know about her character, but also carry a meaning to others of "check yourself, don't take the easy way, pause bring your A-game" as a message to others. Might also carry meaning for her about her tendency to addiction (if done lengthwise down the instep). But more than a word she's looking for symbolism, and one a little more accessible...

Lululemon does not use an Omega. It's definitely a different symbol.

Many fraternities/sororities likely have Omega as part of their letters, but frats are generally not identified by only a single letter.

The most common other connotation for Omega is "the end", "last", "finality", or "apocalypse". It's the last letter of the Greek alphabet. E.g. "I am the Alpha and the Omega".

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/25/17 11:26 a.m.

You need the tattoo equivalent of "Fearless Girl".

"berkeley off" is a truly terrible idea.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/25/17 11:29 a.m.

If the goal is something to send a message to other people, I'd lean towards something like crossed swords (pirate style), Don't Tread On Me, or a yellow caution triangle.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
6/25/17 11:30 a.m.

I couldn't find the image immediately online but I have a Reagan tee that has the CND symbol with a strategic bomber in the center and the quote "Peace through strength." But I'm not into tattoos. If she wants to be noticed just read a difficult book that challenges popular notions.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Dork
6/25/17 11:38 a.m.
Beer Baron wrote:
Erich wrote: How about a bomb? A mushroom cloud? Skull?
These are good. Or skull and cross bones. Or some sort of hazard symbol:

I was going to say the mr. yuck stickers they used to give out when I was a kid

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/25/17 11:40 a.m.

The reverse peace sign started in the Middle Ages. French soldiers would cut off the fingers of English prisoners so they could not shoot a bow anymore. English soldiers would wave their 2 fingers (much the way we give the finger today)

It has evolved to basically mean, "berkeley you".

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/25/17 11:47 a.m.
iadr wrote:
SVreX wrote: You need the tattoo equivalent of "Fearless Girl". "berkeley off" is a truly terrible idea.
I know. I absolutely love that addition to the statuary beyond all words. I also know there are some vociferous critics of it, and that makes me...sad. Profoundly. If you come up with any applicable ideas, let me know. thanks P -I

While I agree with your sentiment regarding the statue, I also recognize the criticisms.

It's not really an "addition" to the statuary- it is a defacing of it which completely undermines the artist's intent. The artist who created "Raging Bull" is more upset than anyone. It is the artistic equivalent of painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa.

Plus, it wasn't done for social or altruistic reasons at all. It was created by a company for purely commercial purposes. They wanted attention, and are getting it.

So, yes I like it, but I also understand why it is inappropriate.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
6/25/17 11:53 a.m.

I found this image. It's apparently cover art on an album. Obscure, but possibly has the meaning ?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2RCipDwEx5MjxDycsjtPBxwX8F549jVdHMehgDa53fKMARde6Q6E1YNFqbs7supr