1 2 3 4
JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
2/15/16 6:43 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Sometimes I'm amazed people have lived lives without eating the staple St Louis foods. It's always interesting to see the reactions of people eating your local area's foods. I suggest those watches on the you tubez.

We need a toasted ravioli flavored chip.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
2/15/16 3:41 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Sometimes I'm amazed people have lived lives without eating the staple St Louis foods. It's always interesting to see the reactions of people eating your local area's foods. I suggest those watches on the you tubez.

I feel bad for people who never had a good bagel or slice of pizza.

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
2/15/16 6:34 p.m.
Wall-e wrote: I feel bad for people who never had a good bagel or slice of pizza.

This.

Some say it is the water but it does not exist outside of a 100 mi radius of NYC. Repeat: Does NOT exist.

Same for a really good Italian bakery.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
2/15/16 6:38 p.m.

In reply to Wall-e:

I had a steak, egg and cheese bagel from McDonalds once. It was pretty good.

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
2/15/16 6:43 p.m.
bludroptop wrote:
Wall-e wrote: I feel bad for people who never had a good bagel or slice of pizza.
This. Some say it is the water but it does not exist outside of a 100 mi radius of NYC. Repeat: Does NOT exist. Same for a really good Italian bakery.

I've heard that about Western New York pizza too - which is the best pizza I've had so far.

Best bagels so far - Kettleman's in Ottawa

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
2/15/16 6:50 p.m.

In reply to Nick (LUCAS) Comstock:

That makes my point. A piece of me dies every time some thinks something like that is a bagel.

Jay
Jay UltraDork
2/15/16 7:47 p.m.

There's a bagel~ery out here that's run by exported Montreal Jews, so I assume they're pretty correct (and yes, I am aware that Montreal bagels are different than New York bagels.) Pizza is more of a regional thing, different areas have different styles and there's no real one right way to do it. But there are plenty of wrong ways. I'm still shocked that anyone even eats at the big chains who isn't stoned out of their gourd.

Potato chips are a vehicle for the delivery of salt & vinegar into your mouth. "Plain" "chips" are just wasted calories.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/15/16 8:44 p.m.
bludroptop wrote:
This. Some say it is the water but it does not exist outside of a 100 mi radius of NYC. Repeat: Does NOT exist. Same for a really good Italian bakery.

Bagels. Yes.

Pizza? I've had slices all over NYC, for the most part it's over rated. At least for me.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
2/15/16 9:20 p.m.
akamcfly wrote:
bludroptop wrote:
I've heard that about Western New York pizza too - which is the best pizza I've had so far. Best bagels so far - Kettleman's in Ottawa

I used to buy a baker's dozen of bagels from Bruegger's (are they a chain or just local to NE Ohio?) but I kept eating half of them before I got home.

They were like a donut shop but bagels. Awesome, awesome bagels.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
2/15/16 9:24 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote:

One of my friends went on a roller coaster tour of Spain (no, really. The pictures were awesome) and he brought back some Pringles that were apparently too awesome for the US. One of them was dill pickle.

They ruled.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
2/15/16 10:16 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
akamcfly wrote:
bludroptop wrote:
I've heard that about Western New York pizza too - which is the best pizza I've had so far. Best bagels so far - Kettleman's in Ottawa
I used to buy a baker's dozen of bagels from Bruegger's (are they a chain or just local to NE Ohio?) but I kept eating half of them before I got home. They were like a donut shop but bagels. Awesome, awesome bagels.

If you can eat 6 bagels in a sitting, either you or I have the wrong idea of what a bagel is.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
2/16/16 5:25 a.m.

What, you couldn't ever eat a pound of bread?

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
2/16/16 7:59 a.m.

They make flavored peanuts in the shell now, must be a flavored brine. Only time before there is bacon flavored peanuts in the shell. I must be a purist (or boring) as I like peanuts and chips w/ only a little salt, no fancy-schmancy flavors. Coffee black and plain old vanilla ice cream too, I really am boring.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
2/16/16 8:22 a.m.

In reply to Knurled:

Avon, OH will soon get a Barry Bagels. The location in Sandusky just opened. They are in Columbus now too.
This is a 35 year old family business from Toledo/Ann Arbor that is franchising.
Properly boiled and baked, not steamed. Full deli too. I recommend the Pastrami on an everything bagel with havarti cheese and spicy brown mustard.

Www.barrybagels.com

Furious_E
Furious_E HalfDork
2/16/16 8:26 a.m.

As soon as I heard "Canadians" and "potato chips" my mind immediately went here.

Make mine jalapeno please (that's pronounced juh-LOP-in-oh, thank you very much )

NickD
NickD HalfDork
2/16/16 8:31 a.m.
bludroptop wrote: [/thread]

Yes. These damn things. I'll eat a whole big bag in one sitting if no one intervenes.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
2/16/16 11:42 a.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

Right click, save as.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
2/16/16 11:57 a.m.

Lays did the flavor (screw your spelling) vote thing here the last few years too. One of last years's winners was this:

When I saw them, I had to get a bag.

They were much better than I would have thought. I'm not sure I'd pick them up instead of something else, but they were enjoyable enough that I finished the bag instead of throwing them out.

keethrax
keethrax Dork
2/16/16 12:30 p.m.

Wish I could get these locally

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
2/16/16 5:24 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Pizza? I've had slices all over NYC, for the most part it's over rated. At least for me.

Agreed. As much of what made New York great disappears there are just as many bad pizza and bagel shops here as there are anywhere.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
2/17/16 12:46 p.m.

No good pizza outside of NYC? BullE36 M3, I make awesome pizza.

What I miss is clam dip. It's unobtainium in the Southeast.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/17/16 1:01 p.m.

I actually think that good bagels are harder to find than good pizza. I might have to look pretty hard for the pizza, but I can find decent pizza, even if it isn't my preferred Chicago style thin crust, in just about any city of reasonable size. Bagels? Better hope there is a good Jewish population around. That was one of the few things I made sure to grab when I visited my parents back when I lived in Central Illinois.

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
2/17/16 1:02 p.m.
Furious_E wrote: As soon as I heard "Canadians" and "potato chips" my mind immediately went here. Make mine jalapeno please (that's pronounced juh-LOP-in-oh, thank you very much )

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
2/17/16 1:29 p.m.

In reply to mtn: It's almost hard to make a really bad pizza (Albany NY being the exception, where every pizza is a bad one.) while making a decent bagel seems to be practically witchcraft. Much of the country thinks by shaping white bread into a circle they've created a bagel.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
2/17/16 1:41 p.m.

In reply to Wall-e:

Things must have gone downhill at Mild Wally's, I used to spin pizzas there 20 years ago and, like I said, I make a dang good pie.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lcXvT6lKult22fZbJCCkP7su7MKZlLr4RiNXGZf5DPZku03RP2ZnPUuoWWBbI9M1