Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UberDork
4/28/17 9:33 a.m.

Aside from writing and posting on here , I actually have a real job as a IT guy for a small company.

Recently, we have expanded in our building that we own, and we are building out a conference room with some A/V gear. Last one we did involved a 1080p projector and a drop-down screen. It has proven to be a pain to deal with, and the CEO asked for us to go with a TV this time around. He wants a big TV, and after measuring, a 75" seems to be the way to go. The room will have the TV, a HD webcam and speaker/mic, and a PC to run it all. It will be used to display spreadsheets and slide shows, as well as video conferencing. He prefers a Samsung, because they have a nice Smart TV functionality that he likes because it has built-in screen mirroring for a multitude of devices.

Here's the problem: I'm not sure if we should get a 1080p TV or a newer 4K UHD TV.

I've been reading that 4K requires a beefy graphics card and a decent system to run it, so basically it would need to be an expensive high-spec gaming PC. The advantage of a 4K TV is that it will be more future proof and it will look nicer.

I'm afraid that 1080p on a 75" TV is going to look pixelated and terrible. The huge-by-large projector screen has a 1080p unit, and while it doesn't look terrible, it could definitely be better.

Would the 1080P TV be enough, or should I go for the 4K UHD one? If 4K, how should I spec out the PC?

Any help would be much appreciated!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
4/28/17 9:37 a.m.

The pixellation thing is going to depend on how far they're sitting from it, and whether you intend to play video games on it after hours

Honestly though, if they haven't given you a budget cap I'd go crazy on it so that it still looks acceptable in a few years when everything is in 4k.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UberDork
4/28/17 9:41 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: The pixellation thing is going to depend on how far they're sitting from it, and whether you intend to play video games on it after hours

Although I lobbied for an arcade room to be built in the new construction, they didn't include it, so no games will be played on it.

As far as sitting near it, it's not a huge room, so there will be people potentially sitting about 5-7 feet from it.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
4/28/17 9:53 a.m.

We have several-year-old 70 inch 1080p screen here that we use for training and onsite consulting. It looks good and is easier on the eyes than the projector but looks a bit "off" at higher resolutions due to the pixel density.

Honestly, I'd spend the money get a 4k screen with the highest pixel density and LED backlighting you can find for a reasonable price. 4k TVs should be roughly double the density of 1080p on a 75 inch screen (58.74 ppi(4k) vs 29.37 ppi (1080p).)

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UberDork
4/28/17 9:58 a.m.

Another question: can I hook up a 1080p-outputting PC to a 4K TV without it looking goofy, or do I need to get a graphics card that outputs that resolution? I'd hate to have to spend $2k on a computer that's just going to look at spreadsheets and do video conferencing.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
4/28/17 10:13 a.m.

I'm pretty sure the TV will upscale a 1080p source for you, should look fine (like a 1080 display) if it just quadruples the pixels and throws it on the screen (turn off all the video options, a single pixel checkerboard pattern will confirm it's not doing anything funny).

scardeal
scardeal SuperDork
4/28/17 10:28 a.m.

I've got a PC hooked up to a 55" 4k TV (at ~9ft). The difference is a matter of sharpness. It goes from slightly fuzzy to pretty razor sharp between 1080p and 2160p.

So, usable at 1080p, but for text and static graphics it's a definite improvement with 4k.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie HalfDork
4/28/17 10:39 a.m.

How big is the conference room? Our company has a setup like this, I think 1080p is going to be a better option because people are going to be sitting so far away. Even at 1080p our more nearsighted folks tend to need text scaled up.

scardeal
scardeal SuperDork
4/28/17 10:42 a.m.

In reply to szeis4cookie:

It's better to scale up text/websites/spreadsheets/presentations on the computer side because you get much sharper fonts, if nothing else.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/28/17 11:05 a.m.

You shouldn't need one of the $500+ cards since it's one screen. You run into needing a massive card when running multiple screens, typically.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UberDork
4/28/17 11:21 a.m.
szeis4cookie wrote: How big is the conference room? Our company has a setup like this, I think 1080p is going to be a better option because people are going to be sitting so far away. Even at 1080p our more nearsighted folks tend to need text scaled up.

It's not huge. I don't have exact measurements, but there's a rectangular table in there that can fit about 8-9 people tops. It's midway between a "huddle room" and a full fledged conference room. People would be probably 10-12 feet away tops.

My hope is that the TV can scale up enough so it looks ok. I can always zoom things in a but via Windows 10's settings, but hopefully I won't have to do too much of that to get a decent picture.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UberDork
4/28/17 1:00 p.m.

Eh, I'm going to play it safe and go with the 1080p, specifically this one:

Huge TV

It's about $400 cheaper, and it will do the job.

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
4/29/17 11:41 a.m.

1080P should be more than adequate...I have 1080P projector at home giving a 110" image and from 9' away everything is sharp enough, especially for Blu-ray content. Have to get within 6' to start seeing 'screen door effect'. Even with laptop connected to system and going through the DB15 connector. 4k is overkill unless the business needs include graphical design, photography, or professional video/movie creation. For mainly Powerpoint, Word, Excel, other business presentation software in a regular office type environment 1080p will be fine and a more fiscally responsible purchase.

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
4/29/17 12:53 p.m.

Best thing I ever did was get a chrome cast for the conference TV. Anyone can share their screen with a couple clicks. No wires, just wifi.

I went with a 70" 4K

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yZShFCj26I11UFCEJD3RorLNDnNj3RcmtNEAFpp6UbqL1k64kZ6sxe183r2AmLbI