1 2 3
Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
4/27/17 2:55 p.m.

https://blog.bolt.io/heres-why-juicero-s-press-is-so-expensive-6add74594e50

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/27/17 3:07 p.m.

So, it's designed and built like a German car?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
4/27/17 3:09 p.m.

There's something very German about how they built this thing (Edit: D'oh, beaten!). At least you can see why it's so hilariously expensive. Looking at the juice pack, if I were going to design something to squeeze that, I'd probably go with a pair of toothed rollers.

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
4/27/17 3:38 p.m.

it's a lifestyle juicer . BTW - after years of working with nutritionists - juicing is not a very good way to get nutrients - it's a pita, wastes a lot of produce and doesn't deliver one of the better benefits of produce - fiber.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/27/17 3:47 p.m.
oldtin wrote: it's a lifestyle juicer . BTW - after years of working with nutritionists - juicing is not a very good way to get nutrients - it's a pita, wastes a lot of produce and doesn't deliver one of the better benefits of produce - fiber.

My wife--the Dietitian--has a rather low opinion of juice in general. There are some exceptions--cranberry and beet juice, for specific reasons, but the fruit/vegetable is pretty much always better.

Smoothies are our thing.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
4/27/17 4:04 p.m.

Needs more AvE teardown video.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
4/27/17 4:31 p.m.

I'm not impressed. I only paid $5 for mine, it doesn't need specially packed fruit and it's cordless.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/27/17 4:41 p.m.

In reply to HappyAndy:

Luddite.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
4/27/17 4:44 p.m.

That is the biggest Capri Sun I've ever seen.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
4/27/17 5:15 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to HappyAndy: Luddite.

And proud of it too!

Anybody need to borrow my dwell meter? It's analog.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
4/27/17 5:26 p.m.
Tk8398
Tk8398 New Reader
4/27/17 10:42 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: I'm not impressed. I only paid $5 for mine, it doesn't need specially packed fruit and it's cordless.

Those are awesome, and pretty much indestructible when used for their intended purpose.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
4/27/17 11:48 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: I'm not impressed. I only paid $5 for mine, it doesn't need specially packed fruit and it's cordless.

I'd pay good money to see you juice a beet with that!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/28/17 4:06 a.m.

Can you juice a ham?

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
4/28/17 5:58 a.m.

I'd rather have a good Blender

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
4/28/17 5:58 a.m.
slefain wrote: That is the biggest Capri Sun I've ever seen.

That's what I was going to say.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
4/28/17 6:19 a.m.

I'm having flashbacks to designing aircraft galley inserts. You guys should see what a $15K coffee maker looks like on the inside. And a $8 Mr. Coffee from Amazon will produce objectively better coffee

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
4/28/17 7:00 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin:

The coffee is bad because I've seen how most line service crews clean the potable water tank.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
4/28/17 7:15 a.m.
The0retical wrote: In reply to ProDarwin: The coffee is bad because I've seen how most line service crews clean the potable water tank.

One of many reasons.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/28/17 7:23 a.m.

For that price, it better come with a hooker and some blow.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
4/28/17 7:27 a.m.

I would like to work for a company that lets it's engineers run the show... but only the biomedical and space exploration fields can sustain that level of cost to product ratio :)

OTOH... I just eat the fruit. My teeth (which also generate thousands of pounds of crushing force) squeeze the juice from it.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
4/28/17 10:20 a.m.

In reply to Huckleberry:

Caveman!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/28/17 10:40 a.m.

Being an engineer, I need to correct a few important things both here and in the article.

This is not "engineering excess", nor is it "beautiful engineering", it is sloppy and incomplete. It's stage 2 or 3 of a concept, a dramatically more expensive version of what you're going to make because it's easier to make iterations via machining metal than it is to buy multiple sets of stamping tooling.

You want to see beautiful engineering, take a look at this:

I worked at the company that made these receivers (I had no hand in the design, I only saw them, worked with them, and saw the costs), and the bracket is well under ten cents. The whole thing all together costs like $2-3 as shipped. Let's focus on the bracket for now. I recognize there are economies of scale, and that isn't what we're talking about here. That metal stamped bracket is strong enough to do its job, simple enough to be stamped in one step, and requires zero tools or fasteners to install or remove, can be installed in the dash in seconds, and will never ever fail.

The guy who designed that bracket is a better engineer than the guy who was in charge of designing whatever Ferrari engine you'd like to pick.

Engineering isn't just about solving the problem, it's about solving it well. The juicer goofballs solved the problem, so did Rube Goldberg. It's all way too expensive and poorly thought out. Complexity does not equal engineering, it's actually the opposite. The items which are the best engineered are often so simple that you wouldn't even think of them as having been designed.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/28/17 10:41 a.m.
Huckleberry wrote: I would like to work for a company that lets it's engineers run the show... but only the biomedical and space exploration fields can sustain that level of cost to product ratio :) OTOH... I just eat the fruit. My teeth (which also generate thousands of pounds of crushing force) squeeze the juice from it.

This is the best way to do it.

We do smoothies just because we are trying to eat a E36 M3-ton of fruits and veggies and simply don't have enough time to eat as much as we should. Which maybe says something about our time management.

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
4/28/17 12:22 p.m.

Having worked in R&D and consumer product environments for over 20 years including 10 in Silicon Valley I agree with tuna55 that the article itself seems to indicate that the folks that took it apart themselves lack experience in products successfully and appropriately engineered for 'mass'- Or just engineered well. I would venture a guess the whole more money that brains effort hired out the engineering of the 'juicer' to frog or IDEO or some other design/engineering house that essentially bill hourly and are really really really good at billing hourly. It is cheaper that way because then there are less people to slice the soon to be GINORMIOUS PIE with via stock options, less people to fire later, less for others, because the idea is so special and the spreadsheet say the upside is endless. Bigger than the outer reaches of any known Excel spreadsheet even.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4duNszPfGPDwiii9VuOtMmmBVVi1ZHQTjLmC8s2FQVzpAP5vsQ8JzBfmNfvLb00j