Gary
Gary SuperDork
9/4/17 8:26 p.m.

Been a pretty slow Labor Day weekend on this thread. But I've been listening to some of my personal "roots" music ... from my formative years in the sixties. I wasn't much of a Beatles fan. Although I won't deny their talent, I just wasn't a big fan of their music. So, me? I liked the Kinks, the Animals, and the Zombies. I was a bit of a musical outcast back in those days with my high school peers. Anyway, this is what I'm listening to right now:

Lola

Gary
Gary SuperDork
9/4/17 8:53 p.m.

Here's some more music from my formative years:

The Animals

OK, so maybe not a slick contemporary production (and maybe somewhat corny by today's standards), but this was the early years of music video. However, for the sixties, the music is a hell of a lot better than The Kingston Trio, The Brothers Four, or Peter, Paul, and Peckerhead ... and even Bob Dylan for that matter. And how old was Eric Burdon when this was recorded? He was just a kid, but an extremely talented one.

Gary
Gary SuperDork
9/4/17 9:09 p.m.

And here's more music from my formative years:

The Zombies

This was pretty revolutionary music for the time. (Dave Matthews did not write this song, although he did a pretty good cover of it thirty-five or so years later).

Gary
Gary SuperDork
9/4/17 10:05 p.m.

Ref my previous posts ...here's another favorite from my early years:

Lou Reed 

Gary
Gary SuperDork
9/7/17 9:18 p.m.
oldsaw
oldsaw UltimaDork
9/7/17 10:12 p.m.

I'm listening to my cat purr; he's perched about six inches off my shoulder and looking like he will occupy a lap before this is posted.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
9/8/17 5:18 a.m.

My latest "best band ever" is Mucca Pazza it's kind of school marching band meets gypsy jazz fusion. 

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
9/10/17 9:06 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/X9jXnZS3ouU?rel=0

In related news, Ice-T does metal.

Gary
Gary SuperDork
9/10/17 7:16 p.m.

To Karl LaFollette, one of our favorite participants on this thread (and elsewhere here): know that we understand you're right in the bullseye of Irma. And also please know that we're thinking about you and your family and hoping that all goes well. Best of luck my man.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/10/17 7:24 p.m.
Gary
Gary SuperDork
9/10/17 7:35 p.m.

To David and Karl and all the other forum members and GRM family in harms way, even though Annie and I are safely here in Southern New England and the the weather is benign here, we are really concerned with what's going on in Florida and we're watching 24-hour news to keep up to date.  There's really no time for music right now. We went out to our local pub for dinner tonight (and appreciate that we were fortunate to be able to do that), and Irma and the plight of the Florida residents was the main topic of conversation. I think it's safe to say that all of America is with you (as we were with Houston). We are all in this together as Americans, but unfortunately you folks on the scene are suffering all of the pain. We're with you.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/10/17 8:05 p.m.

Thanks for the concern. It just picked up here, but so far, so good. We're now in the waiting stage. To keep tabs, here another plug for Mike's Weather Page: https://www.facebook.com/mikesweatherpage

Rons
Rons New Reader
9/10/17 8:46 p.m.

I am listening to Randy's Vinyl Tap on CBC Radio 2, the episode is Neil and Me. The show started with Prairie Town  which is Randy (Bachman) and Neil (Young)'s story going back to their shared youth in Winnipeg. The rest of show is recordings that recall Randy and Neil's output in the years since. 

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
9/12/17 7:13 p.m.
Gary
Gary SuperDork
9/13/17 9:14 p.m.

Eilen Jewell

I'm Eeee-lynn Jewell, so don't call me Eye-leen dammit!

Annie and I saw Eilen Jewell perform at 41 Bridge Street in Collinsville, CT last Saturday night. It was a great performance, and her back up band was superb.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun UltraDork
9/14/17 7:30 a.m.

After one of the songs popped up listening to one of the EDM stations on Amazon Music, I picked up the Hardwell album "United We Are". The song that I heard initially that got me interested was Eclipse, but honestly my favorite so far has to be 'Sally'- but the lyrics are a biiiiiiiit NSFW (seriously- don't listen to this at work or around children... devil).

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/14/17 7:41 a.m.

The Orb's classic 1990 album The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld.  No link because it's a crappy YouTube playlist.

Before that I was listening to Ursula 1000.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
9/14/17 7:49 a.m.

Listening to my local hard rock station... waiting for one of the many times today that they will play Greta Van Fleet's Highway tune.

If you haven't heard these teenagers from Detroit, they get the Led out:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/aJg4OJxp-co

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
9/15/17 8:19 a.m.

I have been working on my neighbors old farm truck. The only music that seems to fit the situation is Randy Travis radio on pandora. Him, Alan Jackson, George Strait, Travis Tritt, to me this was the pinnacle of country music. I wouldnt be caught dead listening to modern stuff. I like some of the really old stuff like Johnny Cash and George Jones, but a lot of the country from that era is almost unlistenable.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 UltraDork
9/15/17 8:56 a.m.

The Foo's new album!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
9/15/17 9:10 a.m.

The killer instinct video game soundtrack  from the 90s.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
9/15/17 10:20 a.m.

Head Club by Taking Back Sunday. The band doesn't like the song and it's probably the worst song on the album, but it means something to me and that's what matters.

failboat
failboat UberDork
9/15/17 10:43 a.m.

less than jake - losing streak album today

RossD
RossD MegaDork
9/15/17 12:02 p.m.

In reply to failboat :

Reminds me of high school, driving around in my rusty, dented, baby blue Subaru wagon with an aftermarket Daewoo CD player that was installed in the dash but had to hang out an 1" since it didn't fit.

Listening to the new Foo, too.

failboat
failboat UberDork
9/15/17 12:12 p.m.

In reply to RossD :

Most of what I listen to is the just the same stuff I listened to in high school. laugh

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DYP6HgMaZEwBnM7pN9Aw54myxQVgxM4RFgTdpG15J1XvYg1KKGHMHTAHx2ZrYkvv