OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Dork
6/24/17 1:51 p.m.

I really like the BMW sport seats for the adjustable thigh bolster (extension).

What others have seats that are tall friendly? Bonus points if it's an interesting car under $10k.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
6/24/17 2:59 p.m.

Recaro's in the CTS-V...way over $10k

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
6/24/17 3:14 p.m.

Volvo is almost always the answer to seat questions. 6'2", 260, 03 XC90, drive a thousand miles and wake up the next morning ready to do it again.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
6/24/17 3:17 p.m.

Buy whatever interesting car you want for 6K then have 4K left to buy and fit whichever aftermarket seats suits your fancy.

Jarod
Jarod Reader
6/24/17 3:34 p.m.

My 2005 Acura RL had amazing seats for road trips. I'm 6'4.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
6/24/17 5:16 p.m.

I'll second the BMW sport seats. Power adjustable wazoo, extensions and the heat rocks. Other than that I ain't got nuttin'

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
6/24/17 6:46 p.m.

Miata.

No, really...

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
6/24/17 8:04 p.m.

The seats in my cl600 are awesome. Plenty of legroom plus the steering wheel telescopes, which is nice for those of us with long legs.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Dork
6/24/17 11:13 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Miata. No, really...

Simy not meant to be. Cars made for average height humans won't work. Even my old suburban was uncomfortable.

I think a Scandinavian car is in my future.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Dork
6/24/17 11:16 p.m.
Nick (Bo) Comstock wrote: Buy whatever interesting car you want for 6K then have 4K left to buy and fit whichever aftermarket seats suits your fancy.

I tried to demo a Recaro seat a few years ago from a dealer - even offered to buy his over priced rails. Dealer wanted no part of it. So no dice.

I don't understand how people buy aftermarket seats without sitting on them. I guess buy and return is the only option.

Tk8398
Tk8398 New Reader
6/25/17 12:01 p.m.
Cotton wrote: The seats in my cl600 are awesome. Plenty of legroom plus the steering wheel telescopes, which is nice for those of us with long legs.

Yes, Mercedes are very good for tall people. I'm 6'4 and drive a w210 and it has plenty of room too.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
6/25/17 12:56 p.m.

Evo X Recaros are amazing.
6'3" with the torso of someone 6'6"
Though probably a no-go if your waist size is north of a 34 or maybe 36

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
6/25/17 3:10 p.m.
OHSCrifle wrote:
Simy not meant to be. Cars made for average height humans won't work. Even my old suburban was uncomfortable. I think a Scandinavian car is in my future.

No, really.

I find Suburbans to be cramped too. A Miata with a hardtop is comfy. Not a soft-top though, too much internal structure or something.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Dork
6/25/17 3:58 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
OHSCrifle wrote:
Simy not meant to be. Cars made for average height humans won't work. Even my old suburban was uncomfortable. I think a Scandinavian car is in my future.
No, really. I find Suburbans to be cramped too. A Miata with a hardtop is comfy. Not a soft-top though, too much internal structure or something.

No seriously. My FIL has owned the first 3 generations of The Answer.

I can't see through the top windshield structure, and the seat will go no lower. I can look like a clown for a funny photograph, but driving one more than in and out of the garage isn't an option.

If anybody near Atlanta has one that's been modified for tall (without the need for welding) I still want to sit in it.

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
6/25/17 7:54 p.m.

Used Nissan NISMO Recaros (Sportster CS as found in 370 and Juke RS) and put into whatever car you want. I bought new Recaro Sportster CS to replace the FR-S driver's seat and it was a major upgrade in comfort for my 6'2" 190lb self. The stock seat sucks in the FR-S; no thigh support with bad seat bottom rake angle and resulting pressure point that is a literal pain in the butt after 30 minutes driving.

The Recaro Sportster CS is even more comfortable than the old Recaro Ergo Trend, which has the thigh extension and adjustable lumbar options. There are not many stock cars that get seats right, and the ones that do are often way out of price range... like Jaguar F-Type.

If you want to pay 3x the price you can get the BMW version:

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
6/26/17 7:02 a.m.

I think the answer is "it depends". For instance I find the Recaros in my RX8 quite comfy for my 6'3", 230lbs body and even when I was heavier they were fine. Reading the reviews you'd think that anyone above a 50th percentile Japanese build would be tortured in them. They do/did pinch a little across my back, but that only gets a little uncomfortable for drives several hours long. Totally worth it for me as I don't do long drives much and they're wonderful on track.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
6/26/17 7:52 a.m.

88-92 Mazda 626 front seats are highly excellent for literal all-day drives. I'm 6'5".

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Dork
6/26/17 8:00 p.m.

Some used Recaros may be the ticket..

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
6/26/17 11:04 p.m.
OHSCrifle wrote: Some used Recaros may be the ticket..

I'm not saying I said that, but, basically I said that

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Dork
6/27/17 6:01 a.m.
Nick (Bo) Comstock wrote:
OHSCrifle wrote: Some used Recaros may be the ticket..
I'm not saying I said that, but, basically I said that

definitely did.

It's a little more complicated now with factory seats containing airbags. I wonder if any old ford focus could be fitted with some Focus ST recaro's....

Not terribly interesting but it'd make the target budget attainable.

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
6/27/17 11:09 a.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jgCJ0hRWeLnLdo58adsDCMC3SY9y6rKoWeedJZgzpaWkI6TOcrO4a4SRsSTxBtVa