1 2
mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/10/17 9:09 p.m.

Christmas gift for dad. No hard price range, but let's say give me what you would take at $100, $200, $300, and $500. 

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/10/17 9:38 p.m.

I have the Kobalt 80v. The power is incredible and it uses the same chains and bars as regular gas chainsaws so maintenance is easy. But it leaks chain oil constantly and I've had to have the saw replaced under warranty once and the battery charger once. The warranty is really forgiving and they give you a whole new saw battery and charger when you bring it in, but I would rather have a tool that just doesn't break. I am happy more or less given that it does do the job when needed most of the time. I can't tell you which once to buy but that's my experience with mine. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/11/17 8:52 a.m.

Ok, not going Kobalt then... 

Any other advice?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
12/11/17 9:32 a.m.

Wifey bought the little Ryobi 18-volt for light pruning tasks.  It's pretty nifty, but definitely not for felling trees over 6" in diameter.  It too leaks chain oil.  In fact, whatever you pour into the reservoir will ALL be on the floor a short while after you are done using the saw.  You really do have to pour the chain oil out when you are done with the saw.  Kind of a pain.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/11/17 9:41 a.m.

So no RYOBI either.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/11/17 9:49 a.m.

I'm thinking I'll probably go with a STIHL.

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
12/11/17 10:30 a.m.

I'm curious what is so different about an electric chainsaw vs gas that makes the oil leak everywhere? Shouldn't that be a non-issue in the chainsaw world?

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/11/17 10:34 a.m.

Even gas chainsaws do it. The Kobalt doesn't seem to leak it faster than the average gas one, I would just rather have no leak. I keep it on a piece of plywood and the plywood seems to soak up all the leaked oil.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
12/11/17 10:41 a.m.

Yeah my gas saw leaks bar oil out as it sits. Im keeping tabs on this because a smaller electric saw would be ideal for my needs.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/11/17 10:44 a.m.

The only issue with  electric saws is their ability to chew through the protective clothing where gas ones would stall.   Ignorant you’re not using it a lot then who cares.  But watch out for them legs.  

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
12/11/17 10:48 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

The only issue with  electric saws is their ability to chew through the protective clothing where gas ones would stall.   Ignorant you’re not using it a lot then who cares.  But watch out for them legs.  

???

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
12/11/17 11:32 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:
Fueled by Caffeine said:

???

I think because an electric motor has greatest torque at 0 rpm. As you slow down the blade near zero as protective clothing starts tangling, the motor gains torque.

On a gas saw, as you slowdown the blade in the same situation, the motor stalls.

java230
java230 SuperDork
12/11/17 12:01 p.m.

The Greenworks 40V is on my personal wish list. Come recommended from a friend with the large batteries.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/11/17 12:26 p.m.

I would look at other tools available that work on the same battery.  I have a Kobalt 40V string trimmer that I like a lot.  I already have more chargers than I have room for, so if I get any other tools I will lean towards Kobalt for that reason. 

There has to be a way to store a chain saw so the bar oil doesn't leak out all over the bloody thing, or inside the case when looking at my gas chain saw.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/11/17 12:53 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

WARNING FOR ELECTRIC CHAINSAW USERS!
The fibers will not stop the sprocket on most electric chainsaws because of their constant high torque.

https://m.stihlusa.com/products/protective-and-work-wear/chain-saw-protective-apparel/aprnchap/

please excuse my my poor phone typing above  but the chaps really won’t save your legs vs an electric saw  

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
12/11/17 1:08 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

Ah, thanks for the clarification.  I always make it a top priority to avoid contact with the business end of any chainsaw, gas or electric.  I've never worn any protection other than a good pair of gloves, but it is interesting that some people note a difference.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
12/11/17 1:08 p.m.

With how often I use a chain saw, I opted for just a plain corded electric one. Cheaper than battery or gas powered and doesn't have the problems associated with batteries. Uses same chain as gas and comes in varying bar lengths. I chose 14" as it's about the size that will handle what I use it for. Just bought a replacement over the weekend, $80 for a 14" Remington at Lowe's. Best I can figure is it is the automatic chain oiler that leaks and all seem to do it in varying amounts. Yeah, it's a hassle to run an extension cord(s) but considering it gets used once or twice a year I can deal with it. I also have a weedeater that takes attachments and one of the attachments is a pole saw. I use that several time a year. 8" bar. I do have a gas chain saw that I don't like using. Can only run one tank of fuel through it a day, then have to put it away. When I refuel it after use, the fuel boils and won't start. The fuel boiling is what concerns me more so I avoid using it and generally use the electric.

I don't rely on protective clothing although I do wear it, I keep the chain saw as far away from me as possible and stand off to stay away from kickback. Also unplug to do anything to the saw. I realize my skin is a lot softer than wood and saws cut wood quickly. Gotta respect the tools or else they'll teach you respect. The hard way.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
12/11/17 1:38 p.m.

Chainsaw = Stihl.  Anything else is a gamble.  

the_machina
the_machina New Reader
12/11/17 2:41 p.m.

Recently went through the same process. Wanted to get a consistent brand for outdoor battery tools, and it looked like EGO was the best bet for top-grade homeowner tools. EGO had a 14" and a 16" saw, but they're the same motor/controls, just a bigger bar and bigger battery. I grabbed the 14" figuring that if I ever had to do any felling I could use a bigger battery from a battery push mower or blower to get the extra power, and a 14" bar is a really comfortable size.

Also looked at the budget Ryobi 18V saw, because I have a ton of other ryobi tools, but that little 10" bar is a toy. They have a new 12" brushless saw that might be a bit better though, if your dad is big on the ryobi tools.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/13/17 11:31 a.m.

Ok, we've narrowed it down to the EGO, Makita (since there is already Makita batteries at the house), and Stihl. 

Any thoughts between these three?

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
2/2/19 9:36 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

+1

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
2/2/19 10:16 a.m.

My grandfather has a small electric stihl that works really well. Don't think it leaks but I don't pay attention to that anyway since any chainsaw leaks.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
2/2/19 10:34 a.m.

A canoe post from JacobMason.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
2/2/19 2:22 p.m.
rustybugkiller said:
Fueled by Caffeine said:

+1

A guy on the you tube did a demonstration and there was no difference.  YMMV. 

Antihero
Antihero Dork
2/2/19 2:39 p.m.

I have used the ryobi 18v one, its pretty much useless.

Ive used cheap gas chainsaws for years, last one was a poulan pro that i had for 12 years. The last year it wasnt working well but it cut enough wood to keep my house warm over the years and do random construction things. Not bad for $125.

If you rarely use it an electric would probably be way way easier. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KCxmxfSB9QAkdj3pPZHWLTA2DGf7GFKEtj847t60VaUvQXasvdSE7dGrfdCzhFfI