1 2 3 4 5
Wally
Wally MegaDork
12/10/17 2:57 p.m.
Appleseed said:
Wally said:

In reply to alfadriver :

For some reason American companies don't get the the same forgiveness of mistakes that imports do. My mother in law was a die hard VW fanatic.  She owned 5 in the first 15 years I knew her and each was an unreliable pile of crap frequently needing to make lengthy visits to the dealer for repairs that wouldn't be covered under warranty.  Bizarre electrical issues, leaks, on her Jetta a head gasket at 37,000 miles.  She was somehow able to convince herself that this was part of the experience when owning a finely crafted German automobile.  GM and Ford could never get away with producing the kind of crap that VW does and yet people are convinced that they ae somehow inferior cars. 

Getting back on topic modern VWs head the list of things I could not buy as I do not live within walking distance.

This is a serious statement as his wife drives a Fiat 500.

125,000 trouble free miles which is more than the MILs VWs traveled combined.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/10/17 3:23 p.m.

I think I must be weird but I don’t have a never again list.  I was sitting here and trying to think of something and came up with nothing.  Oh wait.   I know. My X. That is definitely on the never again list.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/10/17 5:07 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

I can get with that.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
12/10/17 5:46 p.m.
dean1484 said:

I think I must be weird but I don’t have a never again list.  I was sitting here and trying to think of something and came up with nothing.  Oh wait.   I know. My X. That is definitely on the never again list.  

Ditto.

And as a related note, I will. Ever ever pays plastic surgeon for fake boobs.  Those are for the next guy to play with, not you.  #tenthousanddollarlesson

Curtis
Curtis PowerDork
12/10/17 5:52 p.m.

There really isn't anything I refuse at this point, but some things really grind my gears.

Commercial meat industry.  This mostly comes from my years of experience as a hunter and growing up on a farm.  I get so furious at hypocrites who will buy a steak at the grocery store and then turn around and judge me for "killing Bambi."

At least my plate has organic, free-range meat on it from an animal that was killed humanely with all of the evolutionary advantages and a free life.  Theirs was pumped full of drugs, had its nuts chopped off to keep it docile and prevent toughness, kept in a feedlot in 10 inches of thousands of its inbred brothers' feces, suffered through debilitating diseases, synthetic foods, and abnormally grown fast so its life could be cut short with a shotgun shell to the head and a slit throat while panicking for its life.

I still buy some commercial meat, but fortunately I live in he-haw territory, so I have access to plenty of local small farms and lots of hunting land.  I'm also shifting many of my protein sources to not-meat stuff.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
12/10/17 6:21 p.m.

I avoid one particular BK location on grounds of repeated food poisoning. The one on the other side of town is great. But it has been ten years and I simply don’t go back, no lingering resentment, just a lesson learned. 

When car shopping GM and ChryCo tend to stay at the bottom of my list. Not a never again, because at some point I want a jeep and a corvette. 

I also don’t want to give Microsoft anymore money if I can avoid it. 

rustyvw
rustyvw Dork
12/10/17 7:41 p.m.

My list is super short, I will never by another new VW.  My Jetta and Passat were enough to make me never buy a water cooled VW again.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
12/10/17 8:06 p.m.

Another thread reminded of that my in laws Tiguan tried to kill my father in law. While waiting for a tow truck they sat in the car with the windows closed and found out he was allergic to the mold that  grows since it was not terribly watertight.  How are cars still falling of assembly lines that leak enough water to grow large patches of mold?

stanger_missle
stanger_missle Dork
12/10/17 8:20 p.m.
Wally said:
Appleseed said:
Wally said:

In reply to alfadriver :

For some reason American companies don't get the the same forgiveness of mistakes that imports do. My mother in law was a die hard VW fanatic.  She owned 5 in the first 15 years I knew her and each was an unreliable pile of crap frequently needing to make lengthy visits to the dealer for repairs that wouldn't be covered under warranty.  Bizarre electrical issues, leaks, on her Jetta a head gasket at 37,000 miles.  She was somehow able to convince herself that this was part of the experience when owning a finely crafted German automobile.  GM and Ford could never get away with producing the kind of crap that VW does and yet people are convinced that they ae somehow inferior cars. 

Getting back on topic modern VWs head the list of things I could not buy as I do not live within walking distance.

This is a serious statement as his wife drives a Fiat 500.

125,000 trouble free miles which is more than the MILs VWs traveled combined.

I can't be the only one that read MIL's as Malfunction Indicator Lights and not Mother-In-Law's, right?

rustyvw
rustyvw Dork
12/10/17 8:35 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

It could be worse, my dad had a Rambler that would grow mushrooms if it sat for too long.  It was far from new at the time though.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
12/10/17 9:04 p.m.

I avoid Walmart like the plague.  Not because I dislike the company, but I dislike the people that go there. Same reason I don’t do Golden Corral. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/10/17 9:17 p.m.

In reply to Spoolpigeon :

I avoid Walmart because those shiny happy people bulldozed a drive in theatres to put a Walmart there. Didn't even need another one and a cultural icon was gone from. Minnesota. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/10/17 9:48 p.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:
dean1484 said:

Ditto.

And as a related note, I will. Ever ever pays plastic surgeon for fake boobs.  Those are for the next guy to play with, not you.  #tenthousanddollarlesson

It is funny you say that as that exact same thing happened to my cousin. He paid for the enhancements and then she moved on. The only this is I think she put it on a joint credit card and it was properly sorted by the courts. 

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
12/10/17 11:00 p.m.

Regarding the Olive Garden thing.

I've had food poisoning twice from the same location, plus they put salt in the f-ing salad.

No, they won't be getting another chance. Call my attitude whatever you want if that makes you feel like a superior person. They suck at their job, plain and simple.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/10/17 11:33 p.m.

I won't say I'll never eat it, but Olive Garden is about the only thing I will actively avoid. Overpriced food; not to mention it is Italian food like Taco Bell is Indian food. 

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
12/10/17 11:36 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:
AngryCorvair said:
spitfirebill said:

A Chevy Vega ruined Chevys for me.  

To me, that's the same as "a chick dragged her teeth once so I'll never get another blerjerb from a chick."

Except it's not.  You have to pay good money for a car, and you have a right to expect it to be competent.  Presumably, you are not paying for the other thing, but if you were, you would have that same expectation.

nobody paid good money for a Vega. They were dirt cheap when new

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
12/11/17 6:05 a.m.

I'm not really into that whole "I'll never watch the NFL because of Roger Godell, or the protests", or the "I had a bad experience with company X back in 1983, so 35 years later I still refuse to buy from them" thing. 

Really the only thing on my no buy list is Apple.  I'm tech stupid, so I may be way off base, but everything I hear and see about them is that they make garbage.  I always hear "What a cool phone, but it has this glitch..."  My wife had an iPhone thingy a few years ago.  My "free because I signed up with Cricket" Android phone far outperformed the Apple phone each and every time.  I'd pull up the Google assistant and she'd pull up Siri and inevitably mine would be faster and better results. 

Oh, and maybe VAG products.  I prefer to drive to my destination in my own car rather than ride in a tow truck.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
12/11/17 6:32 a.m.

No, you're way off base. The stuff is much more expensive, but it plain works.

Ford. Was never a fan, but I did my apprenticeship starting in 1980 in a corner shop, had a lot of exposure to 70's Fords and they were truly awful cars. That kind of soured me on them for good. We did have a 79 Fairmont that was pretty decent, my Mom's last car was an Escape and it was a turd in a big way.

As ugly as it was the Pinto was a better car than the Vega, I have to admit.

I could go on about Canadian tire, but I don't want to make myself that mad this early.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
12/11/17 6:40 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

When you are a college student, $2000 is a lot of 1972 dollars.  

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
12/11/17 6:52 a.m.

Apples computers are about it for me. The specs never equal the price. A $900 MacBook would be a $189.99 Walmart special if you took that Apple logo off. I'd never buy a small Chrysler (200, stratus, compass, etc) just because of the issues I saw working in a shop. 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
12/11/17 7:07 a.m.

The whole I will never buy x or Y brand vehicle because of the dealer cracks me up. You realize that the companies don't owns the dealerships right?  In many states they are legally prevented from doing so. Look at the whole free Tesla movement in many states. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
12/11/17 7:10 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

The whole I will never buy x or Y brand vehicle because of the dealer cracks me up.

What if it's Hennessey Honda of Woodstock? 

Wally
Wally MegaDork
12/11/17 7:13 a.m.

I don’t understand the apple hate.  I’m not an electronics person but from my experience their stuff works and is idiot proof.  Our supervisors monitor buses on paper tally sheets for years and like me are generally middle age and older men with no computer experience. About three years ago we went to GPS tracking on the buses and handed each of us an iPad in an otter box.  They were able to teach us all how to use them, and the failure rate is remarkably low considering they are used 8-16 hours a day outside in all types of weather.  The only complaint I have is that the cords are not really made for someone to carry all day plugged into a battery pack and cheap replacements often don’t work well.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
12/11/17 7:21 a.m.

I’m the Arby’s guy and I always thought their food sucked.  Chicago has way better beef sandwiches than Arby’s.  If the food sucked 3-4 times - why go back?  

I go to McDonalds 2-3x a week.  I haven’t eaten a burger in years.   What?   I eat an Egg McMuffin on Saturday morning on the way to work and I buy a lot of their basic coffee since I am cheap.   Being in traveling sales it’s also a rest stop for me.   

Wally
Wally MegaDork
12/11/17 7:31 a.m.

There are plenty of stores I won’t frequent mostly because there are better options. For instance you call your business a deli but can’t figure out how to put salt pepper and ketchup on an egg sandwich I’m not coming back.  There are 20 other places in walking distance that can do it. Same for anyone that sells a bottle of water for $3.  It’s not a moral stance so much as there’s little reason to accept E36 M3ty service.  Except for the Olive Garden. If the Mafia really existed these places would have all been burned down.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
reCpmA7QwmAfxyFEcXkjYkdP7VUCgaQbl3ldlp3g4Eb5NMlUEIyl7oFEF2f0zOOf