stafford1500
stafford1500 HalfDork
12/13/17 7:24 p.m.

We found out about aphids in Xmas trees today. There were a few dozen on the floor around the tree, and probably thousands in the tree itself. It got bad enough that the tree is undecorated and sitting outside for a good COLD night while the bugs soak up some Sevin pesticide. We will see if tomorrow means a new tree or if this one comes back inside.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/13/17 7:47 p.m.

I wouldn't bring it back in. 

You could have got a bunch of lady bugs.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
12/13/17 7:52 p.m.

Or preying mantis. laugh they love christmas trees

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
12/13/17 7:59 p.m.

My wife grew up in houses with constant bug infestations. She refuses to use live trees for Christmas. 

I never put 2 and 2 together before now.

And yet my chrome Christmas tree and color wheel arent allowed in the living room....

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
12/13/17 8:15 p.m.

Sevin is not effective on aphids.  You need malathion or orthene , both of which smell godawful.  

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
12/13/17 8:18 p.m.

Hess is spot-on.  Purchase a few thousand ladybugs.  Release them in your house near the tree.  They will eat the aphids.  Problem solved! 

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
12/13/17 11:26 p.m.

That's one reason we use a reusable fake tree.  Plus, we live adjacent to a national forest, and I prefer my trees live in the boonies.

codrus
codrus UltraDork
12/14/17 12:13 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Hess is spot-on.  Purchase a few thousand ladybugs.  Release them in your house near the tree.  They will eat the aphids.  Problem solved! 

And then a cat to eat the ladybugs. :)  Of course, the cat will then try to climb the tree...

We have had a fake tree for 8 years now.  It's starting to drop almost as many needles as a real tree -- might be time to replace it.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
12/14/17 2:48 a.m.

Strange, been using real Christmas trees for 20+ years. Never had an issue with one infested with bugs. 

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Dork
12/14/17 5:29 a.m.

My parents told me a stories about before I was born they had a praying mantis nest hatch in their house. They had to bug bomb the house and stay in a hotel for a couple days.

Ironically this year they got a real tree for the first time in probably 35 years.

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
12/14/17 6:15 a.m.

Festivus poles never have this problem. Just sayin'.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
12/14/17 7:21 a.m.
Sine_Qua_Non said:

Strange, been using real Christmas trees for 20+ years. Never had an issue with one infested with bugs. 

Us either.  Our problem was paying a lot of money for a tree that starting dropping needles as soon as it was up.   By New Years day it was a fire hazard     

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
12/14/17 8:56 a.m.

We’ve had the same 10$ tree we got at a dollar store our first Christmas together, back in 2004. It’s still hanging on, and by now it’s a tradition!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
12/14/17 9:05 a.m.

we buy our tree from a roadside stand about a mile from home, after they've been out in the cold for a good long while.  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/14/17 9:16 a.m.

We always cut a tree down--makes me feel manly. We're far enough north that we don't have to worry about bugs; they're all dead by that time. 

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UberDork
12/14/17 10:43 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

My wife grew up in houses with constant bug infestations. She refuses to use live trees for Christmas. 

I never put 2 and 2 together before now.

And yet my chrome Christmas tree and color wheel arent allowed in the living room....

My wife picked up a vintage aluminum tree with rotating base and color wheel a few years ago.  It's her pride and joy prominently displayed.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Wkwj4A0BxpYzBS9aMONav9r0M7eo4xAh9kewcGPRfZJUQBcHbhEhRgngUb4vTfY4