CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
4/18/17 10:55 p.m.

I am selling my 2003 Yamaha FZ1 to thin out the toys. I have owned the bike since it had 2300 miles on it and know every inch of it. 36,xxx miles now. Ill try to point everything out on it to give you a good idea about the bike and its upgrades. The bike, in a nutshell, is an Yamaha R1 1000cc engine in an upright comfortable sport-touring chassis. You get all the liter bike performance without the crotch rocket insurance rates.

One of the first modifications done when I bought it was to send the rack of carbs to Ivans Performance Products to have the carbs worked over. It was rejetted, had new needles installed, modified slide springs, floats adjusted, new seals/ o-rings, as well as being cleaned and rebuilt. The FZ1 has a Yoshimura RS-3 slip on.

With the carburetor work from Ivans Performance and the slip on muffler, his extensive dyno test shows the combination should produce 131.5 hp and 74.4 lb/ft of torque. The engine is a slightly detuned version of the R1 engine.

When the carbs came back, they were synced and the throttle position sensor was adjusted. A new air filter was installed.

At the same time the Air Induction System (AIS) was deleted with a complete removal kit with port block offs.

To shorten the throw of gear shifts, a genuine Yamaha R1 shift arm was also installed and adjusted for smooth operation.

The battery is relatively new and the battery box modification was performed so that instead of buying a very slim, special (and extra expensive) battery, a standard one could be installed. Unless you have a stock bike to compare it to you cannot tell it was modified. Along with this, battery tender leads were also installed. I have a SAE lead run to the front of the fuel tank so you have 12v power to a tank bag. The top of the tank has a few light scratches on the left side from the tank bag.

The windshield is a Zero Gravity Sport Touring Windshield in a dark smoke tint. The stock one will come with the bike as well. It helps to move air around you better and for me, reduced buffering and some noise.

There is one season on the Dunlop RoadSmart 2 tires. This is my second set, I like them and they seem to suit the bike well. I might have the take off tires that were on before if you would like a spare set. The chain, front sprocket as well as rear sprocket are newer, having one and a half season on them. The chain is a D.I.D. X Ring Chain. The rear axle and axle nut are two years old and were OEM Yamaha Parts.

The brake fluid, front and rear, has been changed one year ago.

Coolant system was flushed and filled with new coolant/ distilled water last season during the winter.

The handle bars were changed out from the OEM bars as the pull back and angles were not comfortable for long rides for my wrists. They are black superbike bars. While installing them heated grips were also added. They are life changing and make any ride much more enjoyable, especially with northeastern Ohio's crazy weather. The wiring for the heated grips is run through a custom fuse block that is key-on power only. Two auxiliary switches are installed on the handlebars between the clamps, one is for the aux. Lights and the other one is wired for power but currently does not power anything.

A Garmin Nuvi GPS is installed and WILL come with the motorcycle. This is such a great feature to have on the bike for simple rides or the long complex rides and it is powered by bike. Its mounted using a RAM Mounts GPS cradle, extension and handle bar mount. It has never budged and is a very sturdy and well made mount.

The auxiliary LED lighting in front is from ADVMonster and they are the Model 30. Each light puts out 1500 lm. Currently one of the lense is cracked but a replacement will be ordered in. Both are wired on the same circuit and turned on by the handlebar mounted switch. The headlight bulbs are upgraded Sylvania SilverStar Ultra bulbs.

A big upgrade that was performed was the addition of a dedicated fuse block that runs all the bike electronic accessories. It is all key-on power with a relay in the circuit direct to the battery as well as a fuse inline to the battery lead. There are two slots still available if more accessories were to be added and both are already wired for power. With the key-on power only, there is no chance of forgetting to turn anything off and risking a dead battery.

February 2016, all the valve clearances were checked as per Yamaha's maintenance schedule. All the measurements taken for the valves were in the range specified by Yamaha and a OEM valve cover gasket and inspection cover were installed as well. New spark plugs were installed.

On the right side of the motorcycle, a bracket was made and a louder than stock horn was installed.

A SW-Motech rear rack is installed and a GIVI Monolock mounting base and top case will come with the bike too. The SW-Motech rack is no longer available and was one of the better racks for the bike.

The front suspension is stock, however; the rear suspension has been upgraded to a BMW S1000RR rear shock and spring. This shock has a higher range of adjustability and better dampening/ rebound and the spring is better suited for my build and two-up riding. The stock shock/spring will come with the bike as well as a CBR1000RR shock/spring-- this spring rate is higher for heavier riders.

All maintenance is up to date, synthetic oil/ filter changes done religiously, and the bike is ready to be ridden anywhere, any distance, any time.

Clear title in my name ready to go.

Bike has been detailed for this season.

I know this was a bit long winded but I wanted to be as thorough and complete as possible. This bike has been well cared for and ridden responsibly and if you have any additional questions I would be happy to answer them.

Price is $7000.

OPEN TO OFFERS

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 HalfDork
4/19/17 6:52 a.m.

So...

I recognize that you have kept very good care of this thing, but KKB says $3k, and the FZ1's on Craigslist in my area are all around $2500-$3000, with similar or lower mileage. I just don't see you getting $7k for this.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
4/19/17 6:55 a.m.

I had the same thought on pricing.

Do you have this listed on ADVrider? If there is a market for an immaculate sport touring bike, it's probably over there.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
4/19/17 11:21 p.m.

I understand where you are coming from, but I added an open to offer in bold just for that reason.

I understand I am asking top dollar for it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
4/20/17 6:25 a.m.

In reply to CarKid1989:

That's my point with ADV- it's the only place where I consistently see clean, well maintained, well modified stuff going for above market value. Many of those guys do a ton of miles and can appreciate that sort of thing.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
4/21/17 5:42 p.m.

Open to offers too

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
4/21/17 9:04 p.m.

I double checked prices in my area and they can be had for 2500. In fact, there is a 2012 speed triple for 7k.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 HalfDork
4/24/17 9:42 a.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: Open to offers too

I don't think anyone wants to offer what they are thinking for fear of offending with too low of an offer.

dherr
dherr Reader
4/24/17 2:50 p.m.

I had this exact bike back in 2003. Love it, great ride and super fast! This one has been well maintained and has all the essential FZ1 upgrades. Nice bike, won't comment on the price, but agree that it probably needs to be advertised somewhere where you can find a buyer that will appreciate the condition and upgrades.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
4/26/17 6:23 a.m.

Bump

Price drop$6000 or make offer

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
4/26/17 7:20 a.m.
markwemple wrote: I double checked prices in my area and they can be had for 2500.

+

AWSX1686 wrote:
CarKid1989 wrote: Open to offers too
I don't think anyone wants to offer what they are thinking for fear of offending with too low of an offer.

based on your starting prices...this.

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
4/26/17 10:35 a.m.

I know what was involved in building this bike and maintaining it but the general public will look at the miles and walk on by. We both know that at 36K miles its not even broke in yet but the Motorcycle manufactures have talked the public into thinking over 20K its wore out. Just a sad fact.

You might be better off taking off the addons and selling them separately and lowering the price of the bike. Bikes like this in my area are $2500-$3000.

dherr
dherr Reader
4/28/17 2:14 p.m.

That is what I do with all my bikes.... keep the OEM stuff and reinstall it when I sell them. It is all basically "free" when you include it with a sale of a used bike that is only worth so much, but the accessories can be sold at close to what you pay for them, especially if you bought them used to begin with....

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
4/30/17 6:27 p.m.

Hey all, thanks for all the input and suggestions with this sale ad. I do appreciate the feedback even when its not my favorite stuff to hear. Thank you.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k7ro1z3Loo0pZtsHDDON11HaW0p40ij4f1r84DubgvMWGGvFStgCkZdABP01nQOc