Pics aren't working

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 HalfDork
6/12/17 7:41 a.m.

And now the whole post is gone.

ValiantOne
ValiantOne New Reader
6/13/17 3:42 p.m.

I was having problems getting pictures to load, but I got it now. My car is a 1967 Plymouth Valiant. It's an automatic. It has 103,000 miles on it. It runs. The pictures I took I wanted to be up front and honest about the condition of the car. I can take more detailed pictures by request and I can also answer any questions about work that's been done to it or anything that needs fixing like the plunger in the gas tank. I finally got the pictures working so take a look. I'd like to sell this car soon and I really don't know how much to ask.

There was a post on these forums about things to know before selling your car and it suggested using the Hagerty Pricing tool. According to that tool, this car is worth around $6000 but I'm skeptical that anyone is willing to pay that much for this car. The most important thing to me is that this car gets into the hands of someone that is going to restore it or just fix it up a bit. I love this car more than I care to explain. Any comments or opinions are welcomed!

SeanPizzle
SeanPizzle New Reader
6/14/17 12:37 a.m.

That's a 1200 car. Max

ValiantOne
ValiantOne New Reader
6/14/17 12:17 p.m.

Only 1200? The Hagerty car pricing tool says it's worth more if it doesn't even run!

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
6/14/17 1:02 p.m.

In reply to ValiantOne:

It depends on where you are, and how bad someone else wants it. In the northern states it might bring ~$2500 from the right buyer just for being fairly rust-free, with good glass & what appears to be decent chrome. However, it'll take some work, patience, and advertising to find out whether that buyer exists.

ValiantOne
ValiantOne New Reader
6/14/17 2:37 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett:

Thank you for the response + advice.

psteav
psteav Dork
6/14/17 9:28 p.m.
SeanPizzle wrote: That's a 1200 car. Max

You're out of your mind, man.

Er...I mean....ValiantOne, he's totally right. I'll fall on the grenade and give you the $1,200 "max" value this weekend, just to get it out of your driveway. I'd be doing you a favor.

Seriously, though....it's a nice "builder" quality car. It's also a Mopar, which means it's automatically worth more than an otherwise similar Nova/Chevy II or Falcon. It has zero appeal to a restorer because of how common it is/was, but a lot of hot rodders actually like those for raw material.

If I had to guess, I'd say you might get 3-4k from the right person. Especially if you're in a road salt state, where these kind of cars just aren't found very often without gaping holes in the rockers and quarters. But I think Pete's right, and you could likely get $2,500 without too much trouble.

ValiantOne
ValiantOne New Reader
6/15/17 1:39 p.m.

In reply to psteav:

"It has zero appeal to a restorer because of how common it is/was"

I didn't realize this car was that common. My biggest motivation for wanting to put it in good shape was the fact I loved driving the car. There's a certain 'magic carpet' kind of sensation that happens when you're rolling down the road in this car. I was hoping to find someone that would also appreciate that sort of thing and not just junk it out for a derby car, but once the car changes hands, it's not really any business of mine what they do with it. Anyhow, Thank you for the advice/opinion.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
6/16/17 6:46 a.m.

A few weeks ago almost the same car (but in red) came up on one of the local boards, it was listed for $3K and was reduced to $2K and has not been seen since. I would think $2500 is the magic number as those cars seem to have a very small following and IIRC that body style was only around a few years, making parts harder to find.

GLWS

Paul B

psteav
psteav Dork
6/16/17 8:46 a.m.

In reply to ValiantOne:

Perhaps I should clarify. A 'restorer' is someone who will put the car back to original, stock, showroom condition (or better than original condition in some cases), while being very careful to NOT make changes. The cars that get restored are generally the ones that were rare new, and are rare now, and are thus more valuable. A full restoration can cost $50k and up, depending on how much work you do yourself, what you farm out, and what the car needs mechanically and cosmetically.

No one is going to put 50k into a slant-six Valiant that would only be worth 10-15k when they're done. It may not be that common now, but Chrysler built 200k+ A-bodies a year for 16 years. The majority of them were slant-six automatic cars. They were and are awesome cars (I own one), but they aren't "rare" per se.

Hot-rodders are people who improve a car (make it faster/more reliable/handle better) with unoriginal parts, but often also appreciate cosmetics. They tend to be who you'll find on this website, and they're your target market here. No one in their right mind would make this a derby car - it's way way too nice for that. Someone will give you some money for it, and someone will likely cherish it and fix it up, but it's never gonna be a concours restoration candidate.

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
6/16/17 12:55 p.m.

It is not a $6000 car as it sits. Here in western North Carolina, I'd see that car listed on CL for $4k, but as Donebrokeit posted, $2-3k is more likely what it'd sell for. I'd consider it for a resto-rod, or with the Mopar gatherings over the hill in TN, as a "survivor" build - fix the dent(s), clear over the "patina", period correct seat cover, and a good detail. Good luck!

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
6/21/17 7:59 a.m.

That car (valiant) and ones like (Dart) it in similar condition regularly showed up on the $500 banger rallies so I'd lean more toward the $1200 noted above than the higher estimates but there's a butt for every seat and some butts carry bigger wallets

This one does have the advantage of being a 2 door, pretty sure all the rally ones were 4 door. I know the one blew a headgasket at the end of the rally in New Orleans and the "caretaker" we left it with has been trying to unload it for 4 years with no luck.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/22/17 10:29 a.m.

I'd say that you could probably ask $4k, and expect to get around $2.5-$3.5k.

My dad had a similar vintage Valiant. From his opinion of it, the best example in the world is worth about a case of really bad beer.

psteav
psteav Dork
6/22/17 11:50 a.m.
JThw8 wrote: This one does have the advantage of being a 2 door, pretty sure all the rally ones were 4 door. I know the one blew a headgasket at the end of the rally in New Orleans and the "caretaker" we left it with has been trying to unload it for 4 years with no luck.

That's your difference. A 4 door Dart/Valiant, especially the later uglified 73-76 version, is not worth anything, probably won't ever be worth anything unless it's just immaculate.

Let me guess - all the ones you saw on the rally were some shade of brown or green, weren't they?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W9TP8H4yXqBrTqZ2HGpQhFDRf4FyPkVZ81Bv3YCz5u1wiuZk4KUm7cWZOdvijXYM