1 2 3
manydubs
manydubs New Reader
10/18/17 11:28 a.m.

You should try OFFERUP - it is way worse..

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/18/17 3:41 p.m.

Steer clear of these people. Shes rude and this thing has been for sale for quite some time. That should be a red flag to you. She comes to show the RV but then tells you she "forgot the plates". And when you try to set something up in text, she tells you not to text her again. Rude bitch. I flag this everytime I see it...which has been for QUITE SOME TIME.

Someone's hot.

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UberDork
10/18/17 5:29 p.m.
manydubs said:

It's pretty bad, but I have had a few successful sales through it.

Asking $2800 for my Chevy truck and got a bunch of $1K offers sight unseen.  (Sold it for $2K)

Selling my $3300 mountain bike for $2400, got a $700 offer sight unseen. (Sold it for $2300)

As much as I want to respond, I just ignore and take deep breathes.

200mph
200mph New Reader
10/30/17 4:53 p.m.

I don't so much mind the lowball offers... I was taught that if you dont ask, the answer is always no.

As a seller, I patiently explain why I think its worth what I'm asking, and invite them to try again.  The goal is getting to YES.  As long as they are making offers, you have a chance to make the sale.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
10/31/17 8:15 a.m.

I'm with 200mph on this, somehow on most of my most recent CL ads, I wouldn't even get lowball offers. I posted my motorcycle originally at $4500 to see what lowball offers I'd get, and never got any. Eventually sold it for $2300 which I was happy with.

Just think if you have lowballed me that price when I was asking $4500, you would've been so happy with the steal you just got. wink

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
10/31/17 9:20 a.m.
Patrick said:
200mph said:

EVEN HAPPIER ENDING !

After a year of inactivity, we brought it to a vintage race and made a conditional sale for what we had in it, to a friend of a friend, to be paid as soon as he sold his similar car or a couple of motorcycles.

Yep, four months later, had to go repossess it (by mutual agreement) because his stuff hadn't sold.

BUT WAIT, THERE"S MORE !

Finally sold it on bringatrailer.com auctions... two committed bidders dueled it out... sale result WAY beyond expectations.

VERY HAPPY ENDING INDEED !  So I went out and bought several more project cars !

So what was it??????????

I'm still dying to know what the car was!!

200mph
200mph New Reader
10/31/17 9:26 a.m.

Oh, sorry.  The car we sold was an SCCA ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z (Series 1) with lots of spares.

Here's a link to its BaT auction:  https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-datsun-240z-its-hpde-vintage/

Since then, the Spridgets in the garage have multiplied like rabbits... there are now 5, joined by a new (to us) 66 Mustang convertible for my wife.  This weekend she's out of town, so I'm going to look at a 66000 mile "as new" GMC Caballero (El Camino).  Only 2500 made that year.

200mph
200mph New Reader
11/5/17 7:57 p.m.

So, I bought it... it'll be the new parts chaser.  

Then I started wondering... where in the world am I ever going to find a receiver hitch for this???

Craigslist ad:  $10.  Okay, so its a 1 1/4" receiver, not a 2".  But for $10, I'm not complaining.

Brian
Brian UltraDork
11/5/17 8:15 p.m.
manydubs said:

I bought my malibu from a guy on offerup.

I sell cars all the time on the interwebz.  I've had good and bad experiences with CL.  Just the other day I sold my son's minivan for almost asking price to a guy who actually made a reasonable offer and came when he said he would, actually he was early.    Of course that was after at least 2 dozen lowballers and a couple of flakes cheeky

pheo
pheo New Reader
11/13/17 10:19 p.m.

Me: Does it have a clear title in your name, not signed or dated?

Seller: Yes, its clear.

When I get there it was signed last year by the previous owner.

Its amazing that "clear title" can mean anything from a good title to an expired registration to a different vehicle.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
11/14/17 7:25 a.m.
pheo said:

Its amazing that "clear title" can mean anything from a good title to an expired registration to a different vehicle.

When really concerned, just have them take a picture of it. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/14/17 3:53 p.m.
pheo said:

Considering the loss of value for a title-challenged car, and the level of difficulty title issues create for everybody, it never ceases to amaze me how many people go out of their way to berk the damn things up somehow.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eZMqpRMVyobNzW9jycHZNg9TVre28MveFtgPHQCZQV3JWCip9L2Opw6KJbmd5fRB