oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
3/14/17 8:10 a.m.

NMNA Honda powered racer

Norma m20fc

Showing up on a heavy equipment auction site. Cracked carbon fiber tub. K20 powered usually I think.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
3/14/17 8:21 a.m.

I would very much like to own that.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
3/14/17 9:35 a.m.

Hmm, that is tempting. I wonder what it will sell for.

wake74
wake74 New Reader
3/15/17 7:22 p.m.

That's a bad day at the office for the transport company that dropped it. Original price for that build has to run a couple of hundred thousand I would think. Some cool slightly cracked body parts for someone's garage wall or man-cave though.

Cool find and it's local :-)

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
3/15/17 8:03 p.m.

Thats an odd one for sure - It looks like the engine / gearbox is a stressed member for the whole back half of the car - suspension, wing, etc. Doesnt look like too much structure beyond the rear bulkhead. I wonder if the floor buckled or something (or it fell a big distance). Those things crash & get repaired all the time, there must be more to the story.

Whats a tub cost? 10-15k? get this for 5-10K and you have 50K+ car for half price.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
3/15/17 8:30 p.m.

Sealed bid is an interesting choice. Seems like auction fever would get something like this up to crazy prices but you don't get auction fever with sealed bid. You do get serious buyers bidding realistic prices but only if they're aware of the auction. I'm tempted to put in a token bid.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
3/15/17 8:46 p.m.

Ain't crazy about the sealed bid thing, prolly best for the seller tho.

For the right price, salvageable parts only you could forget the CF tub and build an aluminum monocoque or tube frame on the cheap.

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
3/15/17 9:23 p.m.

I was thinking tube frame as well

TiggerWelder
TiggerWelder Reader
3/16/17 8:01 a.m.

There is a ton of value here, if the race team were solvent, and insurance was paying for the tub and the replacement of the tub, the team would take it. The fact that it is being handled this way, says someone is tying to get the full value for an asset they no longer need. Just my opinion.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
3/18/17 8:02 p.m.

In reply to TiggerWelder:

Actually I think this car was on its way to a new owner when damaged. I found it for sale with an "email for price" here:

http://www.auroramotorsports.com/?url=2015normam20fc

So I'm betting it was bought from that company and it got shipped, structural damage was caused en route, and neither the new buyer nor the seller wanted it with the damage. I don't blame either of them!

jdunn
jdunn New Reader
3/22/17 11:25 p.m.

It's on Ebay now for $30k BIN:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Norma-M20FC-Race-Car-Cosworth-Honda-FD2-Engine-Sadev-SLR-82-14-Sequential-/332161258113?rmvSB=true

Sil80redtop
Sil80redtop HalfDork
3/28/17 10:38 p.m.

That can absolutely be fixed and driven again.

Schrödinger's Flight Service
Schrödinger's Flight Service MegaDork
3/29/17 7:03 a.m.

Get that for $2k and go to the challenge!

Schrödinger's Flight Service
Schrödinger's Flight Service MegaDork
3/29/17 7:05 a.m.
dculberson wrote: Actually I think this car was on its way to a new owner when damaged. I found it for sale with an "email for price" here: http://www.auroramotorsports.com/?url=2015normam20fc So I'm betting it was bought from that company and it got shipped, structural damage was caused en route, and neither the new buyer nor the seller wanted it with the damage. I don't blame either of them!

that car is a 2015, the car at the auction is a 2014...Maybe a mix up on one end but other than that different cars.

jdunn
jdunn New Reader
3/29/17 7:41 p.m.

In reply to Schrödinger's Flight Service:

Here's an explanation about the car from Aurora. I copied it from Sports Racer Network forum:

After numerous calls I felt that I should get the whole story out on this car the person trying to sell this car is a scam he does not own the car and is not his to sell. We contacted Ebay regarding this and reported it to there fraud department for the removal of the add. The car was purchased by us Auroramotorsport from Europe where in turn we sold it to a customer of ours in the USA. While in transit the car was in a container and the container truck was involved an accident. The container was rolled over and the car inside was jumbled around like it was in a tumble dryer. Our insurance company asked us to do an estimate for repaires with there adjuster as he did not underatsand race cars for the estimate for possible repair on the car. This is what we found the carbon tub was cracked in four places and the complete rear wing was crushed with support arms, the steering rack was damaged along with two OZ wheels body support arms gearbox plate body panels and possible gearbox damage. The replacement of the tub is $37000 plus shippng and other parts to repair the car was over $50.000.00 not to mention other parts that were not visible to us accordingly the insurance company totaled the car. If anyone has any questions please do not hesitate to give me a call Jonothan Auroramotorsports 707 998 3272 .

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PJs430I7jVslte2eoK73DONYTW87LQENfDTkxz9vE04A6jpgnrqs0oFYYEiBAEnS