Mental
Mental Mod Squad
1/6/18 8:14 p.m.

UPDATE - PENDING SALE

This is my 1999 Porsche 911 (996) C2 Coupe.

To start, this car is not really street worthy right now. I will explain if you don’t care, skip down to the bullet description.

I bought the car in 2009. It was my daily driver, and I was also doing track days with it. I realized I was seeing the other side of ludicrous speed to often to leave the car as it is. So, I decided to pull the car off the street. The plan was to cage it and start running club level events. At the time I was still active duty military, living well and I had a lot more money in 2012.

Through a series of delays, the car wasn’t done until 2014. By that time, I had elected to retire. The cage was worth the wait. It is amazing. The builder was established building for local guys but cut me a deal because he wanted to get the measurements for 996s and ideally open up a new market for him. His day job is designer architectural metalwork for high-end commercial spaces. His welder is beyond gifted. Don’t be fooled by the surface rust. It is solid, well designed and installed right.

Of course, the interior was gutted, but the car still ran. The front windshield was cracked, and we pitched it, the rear window was destroyed in the move. I do have the ¼ windows, and the door glass is still intact and in the car. The week it was finished, I drove it onto a trailer and hauled it to my new home here in Atlanta. For the first year I had it I drove it around the neighborhood a few times a month just to keep it running.  I was working in New Orleans and brought the car with me, thinking I would have time to finish it there. I didn’t.

I have found a job I love, but it pays crap. So I loaded the Porsche back onto a trailer and brought it home. I had pulled the dash and tried to paint part of the cage and never finished. I didn’t try to start it, but just pushed it onto the trailer and then into the garage. I pushed it with my Suburban which is the broken front bumper cover.

The reality of being a high school teacher and a Porsche club racer had finally seeped into my feeble brain. It has been sitting for a year and ½. I put the dash back in, wired it up with a fresh battery. I can get it to all light up, but turning the key it doesn’t try to start. I have fiddled with the clutch kill switch, cleaned the engine ground strap and any other trick short of hot-wiring the car (for fear of shorting something) to get it running. 

SKIP TO HERE

What you get is a “ran when parked” 1999 Porsche 996. I have the title, it is a salvage title, the car was a theft recovery.

• Oklahoma Title in my name.
  • The glass is out of the car, I have the quarter windows. I also bought a 5 Star Bodies Lexan front windshield and the mounting screws. It is not installed and included in the sale. There is no rear glass.
  • Fully caged to meet PCA and NASA rules.
  • 19-inch, staggered aftermarket wheels, with old tires. They hold air and you can drive on them, but don’t go near a track with these.
  • Gutted interior
  • It won’t start, I can’t get the starter to engage, but it does light up. My gut tells me it’s a wire I didn’t reattach.
  • Unknown IMS bearing status, but the car has 140,000 miles, so I just assumed its fine.
  • Cracked front bumper cover
  • Small dents on the roof near the rear window
  • The clutch pedal kinda sticks 1/2 way up. 
  •  

Please don’t ask me if you can drive it home. You can’t. I sold a race car before and endured a chain of requests from someone who believed he could drive it from Oklahoma to the east coast.

At one time my misguided belief was to make it a track car and keep plates on it, so all of the turn signals and lights are there and work. But it needs a lot of work to get roadworthy. It needs a seat, as well as belts and the whole nine. It’s a solid starter if you wanted a 996 cup car or a NASA racer, this is a cheap start.

$8500 negotiable. Trades? I have a solid DD and a great motorcycle. I’m not a boat guy, and I don’t need another project. So outside of that, the worst I can say is no. Well, I can say way worse, but I try to be polite.

The car is just outside of Atlanta. More pics here;

www.imgbb.com Userid is mental, password is Porsche996

Thanks for reading. Contact me here, or evilmental at gmail dot com

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
1/6/18 8:43 p.m.

Link isn't working

Mental
Mental Mod Squad
1/7/18 7:42 a.m.

updated, see if that works.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/7/18 9:19 a.m.

Mental, that's a nice project.

GLWS

Dan

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
1/7/18 10:06 a.m.

Did you replace the notorious ignitions switch? What mods have been done?

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
1/7/18 12:02 p.m.

wow, alot to like here.  GLWS  

simontibbett
simontibbett Reader
1/7/18 3:23 p.m.

Must. Resist. 

Mental
Mental Mod Squad
1/7/18 8:25 p.m.
markwemple said:

Did you replace the notorious ignitions switch? What mods have been done?

I haven't. 

Aside from the cage, not much. When I bought the car, it came with straight pipes, I think it might have aftermarket springs, and the wheels I talked about in the ad. 

My Top Gear Tunnel Moment from a few years ago.

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
1/7/18 8:33 p.m.

You can get the switch from VW, same one. Less than $20.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
1/8/18 8:22 p.m.

What engine?

mw
mw Dork
1/8/18 8:51 p.m.
AWSX1686 said:

What engine?

A 99 c2 has a 3.4l engine 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
1/9/18 8:10 a.m.
mw said:
AWSX1686 said:

What engine?

A 99 c2 has a 3.4l engine 

Ok, thanks. My buddy was wondering. Non-Turbo then right?

Mental
Mental Mod Squad
1/13/18 4:03 a.m.

Yes, non turbo.

Right now the car is scheduled for pickup this evening.

jonnyd330
jonnyd330 Reader
1/14/18 2:36 p.m.

So did it sell?

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
1/19/18 3:14 p.m.

Interesting that it is a 99 but has the later 996 front end. Was that part of the theft recovery?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s8u19bSdBtT27HUuBegFLEiS90wETWMIZBy7msQzBQahixQG6RsyzZ6dhnw8gPo1