dean1484 MegaDork
April 11, 2017 1:06 p.m.
aircooled wrote:
dean1484 wrote: By the way, we had a GREAT group last Sunday. Some really great racing!!!! I actually saved at least one of the races thinking I should get some photos up (when I have the time)

Yeah, they were good, but one of the idiots pulled next to me through the kink at Laguna Seca, oh wait...

What do you mean pulled next to. . .. I saw it as someone was waving me by. Kind of a moving chicane.

e30Matt Dork
April 11, 2017 2:41 p.m.
aircooled wrote: That list has a pretty good PP spread. Looks like somewhere around 550 might be OK. We will have to see how much adjustment some of these have. It will make for a colorful field that is for sure.

Yeah, I hadn't looked at the whole list before. The idea came out of my garage being full, and as I moved cars to the stockyard I kept running across some of these. Most of what I have now is in the 500-560pp range, which is why I picked 550. We can play with that number if necessary, I'm also not sure how many can get there.

e30Matt Dork
April 11, 2017 8:55 p.m.

Air, I updated the list with the cars I could get to 550pp and there are 20. Just from getting them to the correct PP level I would guess that there is a ringer that may need to be excluded, but it may be one of those cars that looks good on paper but actually isn't.

dean1484 MegaDork
April 12, 2017 6:54 p.m.

What is the plan for tonight???

aircooled MegaDork
April 12, 2017 7:27 p.m.

Tuner cars 550pp

e30Matt Dork
April 13, 2017 8:11 a.m.

What I learned last night: tuned street cars > untuned tuner cars.

I was planning on sticking around for the last race but got the boot and took that as my sign.

aircooled MegaDork
April 14, 2017 10:29 a.m.

I probably won't be around on Sunday (Easter diner stuff).

I am starting to wonder what would happen if I open a room that is unlimited except that CH tires are required....

...I think I know which car would be the best choice.

Unlimited street cars on CH would be a bit more open.

(Not a series idea, just goofy fun, braking would be the biggest issue)

dean1484 MegaDork
April 14, 2017 11:32 a.m.

In reply to aircooled:

Probably get a bunch of whiners. There is a large group of people out there that take this way to seriously. You would think they were actually getting some sort of prize or something.

I am in. I am thinking a VW bug

Reality is an AWD would at least get the power down better on CH tires

dean1484 MegaDork
April 14, 2017 11:33 a.m.

I would probibly break out the brodozer or the lambo for starters. Maybe the landrover would be an option.

bslate3 New Reader
April 16, 2017 12:30 p.m.

I like the idea of a 550pp ZZII on CH. insert evil laugh.

MercedesC111 New Reader
April 16, 2017 7:58 p.m.

450pp FF cars on CH tyres. Verrrrrrry slow, he with most patience wins!

aircooled MegaDork
April 19, 2017 10:21 a.m.

OK, so a little experimenting / fun tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/TpDFuVdu6e4

This is likely more what it will be like. Lots of noise, not a lot of movement (we could try RWD only!): https://www.youtube.com/embed/HhMEQSraaLk

I will open the room as Ice Racing and start with unlimited PP Street Cars, just to see. I will try to use the widest track possible. Braking will be a huge concern. I do want to work down to lower PPs since I think this might be a great place for those mini city car 4wds.

e30Matt Dork
April 19, 2017 6:52 p.m.

dean1484 MegaDork
April 20, 2017 3:21 a.m.

The 425 cars were good fun. I liked the brz the best but I am sure that there are more possible cars.

aircooled MegaDork
April 20, 2017 10:31 a.m.

It seems like if we want more of an ice racing experience the 425 level was pretty good for RWD, we could likely even go a bit higher. For 4WD though, I think it needs to go higher. Not sure about FWD, I did not try one. I am not sure if we determined if there was an advantage to either (I would suspect a well setup 4WD could beat both).

There was still a surprising amount acceleration traction with 4WD on CH, so raw power was still a good advantage (although not huge).

I have to say, personally, I loved how the RX7 drove at 425 on CH's. Lots of slip, but not out of control (still had to be careful accelerating out of corners). It might be a bit dull on big tracks (because of the slower speeds) but I am not sure.

dean1484 MegaDork
April 20, 2017 10:48 a.m.

It is good to change things up. I like them. But that being said I also get bored with them in a very short period of time. If I am not bored with it I get frustrated as the speeds are so slow that one bobble and you are 6 car lengths behind and that is it for a race. You can not catch the other person as there is little or no draft effect on the straits that has the equalizing effect on faster cars. I had a great race with Slate a while back. I was in a zonga and he was in a CTS. He was a rocket in the straits and I had the corners. You just don't get that kind of equalization of the field. The draft also helps out with equalizing driver ability as well keeping things tight. Some of the regulars in the Sunday room are definitely better than me. the only way I can keep up is the draft. No draft and they just drive away as they are just that much better. You become much more dependent on the HC system but that takes 3-4 races to come in and by then people are discouraged. For me, it is the fun of racing against someone and not as important as winning. but for others winning is important. I get it and if you are at the back all the time it is not so fun.

Last night was great fun. Jumping from the 600+ pp AWD cars to the Red Bull thing and then back to the 425 cars. A great dynamic that made the evening go by really fast. I looked up and it was 11:00 before I knew it.

e30Matt Dork
April 20, 2017 2:23 p.m.

Since I was the only one who tried FF cars I can say that they are good at this PP level. My Civic was dead on with Funky in the BRZ, and the Focus I drove was only a tenth or two behind. I suspect light weight, low torque cars will have the advantage. The 4wd cars will have slightly better traction at corner exit, but be relatively slow on the straights.

dean1484 MegaDork
April 20, 2017 2:52 p.m.

I tried the Focus and got a horrible start but was making it up in the corners with a little more time in it I can see that it would be a really fun car at this PP and tire level. The more I drove it the more I was just tossing it in at corner entry getting it rotating and then powering it through the corners.

Good FUN!!!!

Spoolpigeon PowerDork
April 20, 2017 3:22 p.m.

Hey guys, long time no see!

If anyone is interested, we are starting another KYSCCA league this Sunday at 7pm eastern. LouisvilleZ06 is running the show this time around since I'm heavily invested in national autocross events this summer. We start out in max tune Miata roadster touring cars (should be 516pp), then switch to C6Rs later in the season. I'll find his full rule set and post it here if anyone is interested.

dean1484 MegaDork
April 20, 2017 3:38 p.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: Hey guys, long time no see! If anyone is interested, we are starting another KYSCCA league this Sunday at 7pm eastern. LouisvilleZ06 is running the show this time around since I'm heavily invested in national autocross events this summer. We start out in max tune Miata roadster touring cars (should be 516pp), then switch to C6Rs later in the season. I'll find his full rule set and post it here if anyone is interested.

See what I can do since am hosting at 9:00 that same night but I will try and drop in when I can as I have had some epci races with you guys!!!

e30Matt Dork
April 20, 2017 5:00 p.m.

Unfortunately Louisville is one of the people I've had connection issues with so it's unlikely I'd be able to join his room

Spoolpigeon PowerDork
April 20, 2017 5:56 p.m.

KYSCCA GT6 Summer League

Schedule/Ruleset/General Information

The KYSCCA GT6 Summer League will begin this Sunday, April 16th at 7pm. See below for information:

The season will include 15 races and 1 pre-season practice, held weekly every Sunday through 9/17 excluding those coinciding with KYSCCA events and nationally recognized holidays as deemed worthwhile by a distinguished panel of broken Corvette owners.

Races will follow a double sprint format with qualifying followed by two 4-6 lap sprint races. Race 2 will start from a reverse grid order as determined by race 1 finishing order.

Any driver finishing first in 3 races consecutively will drive the race immediately following in the Volkswagen New Beetle.

Any driver finishing lower than a Volkswagen New Beetle must issue a public apology for their excruciating slowness addressed to their friends, family, fellow racers, and the organization.

There shall be no penalty for shunting or otherwise harassing a driver not in possession of a functioning headset after 2 calendar weeks have elapsed since said driver's first participation in the series.

Race restarts may occur at the discretion of the Grand Marshall and a distinguished panel of broken Corvette owners. Restarts before the first lap has been completed will result in a complete restart in qualifying order. Restarts after the first lap has been completed will result in a rolling start in pre-incident order.

To allow for increased flexibility for participants, only each racer's best 8 of 15 races will be counted towards season points.

Tiebreaker challenges to be announced at a later date.

Trophies to be awarded to Series Champion and Series DFL.

Dates, cars, and tire selection subject to change at the discretion of a distinguished panel of broken Corvette owners.

Tentative race schedule:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-A1hakqMAcPCW3mM2CMCN_YM1vU5dhOBUhbPMVfxAFs

Cheap headset:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013OQD6HA/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1492001899&sr=8-8&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=ps3+headset&dpPl=1&dpID=41ISV12RonL&ref=plSrch

dean1484 MegaDork
April 20, 2017 8:19 p.m.

Looks like a should go get a cheep broken corvette

bslate3 New Reader
April 23, 2017 12:32 p.m.

Spool, what do you race in national autocross? The STR S2k? I'm in a BRZ in STX. Still needs a little more prep before I'll go to Solo Nats with it. I went last year and codrove an FRS in CS.

dean1484 MegaDork
April 23, 2017 3:55 p.m.

Any suggestions for tonight. Bugs on dirt?? LLP cars. Coffee cars on CS tires. Max tune fiat 500s. On she tires?? All are possibilities

8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Classic Motorsports

Restoration Impossible: Removing the Rear Hubs

6 hours ago in Project Cars

Our friends at Sevens & Elans help us remove hubs that had been wasting away for 40 years.

Classic Motorsports Car Catcher: Mini Cooper 970 S

1 day ago in News

It's one of the rarest Mini Cooper's on the market.

Classic Motorsports Car Catcher: Ever Seen a Nissan Figaro?

4 days ago in News

These cars we only available for one model year, and only in Japan.

Get Your Subscription Combo Deals!

4 days ago in News

Get both our magazines for the price of one!

All-American Icon: A Camaro We Met at Sebring

5 days ago in Articles

Like many IMSA GT cars of the ’80s and ’90s, it’s based on a tube-frame chassis.

Restoration Impossible: Ordering the Final Parts

6 days ago in Project Cars

We order the last of the needed parts to complete our Lotus Elan restoration.

Smoky Mountain Tour: Enjoying America's Best Driving Roads

1 week ago in News

We spent a week enjoying the North Carolina mountains with a group of friends.

Mlassic Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Classic Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
fnJrpGUmcbRDtqCFn1kAdfwNmufVipZu